Thread: Bosch/ZF Remanufactured rack + Lemfoerder Tie Rods question

My Cars
    2003 530i

Bosch/ZF Remanufactured rack + Lemfoerder Tie Rods question

Hello,
    Been lurking on the forums a bit, and then jumped in and bought a beautiful 2003 530i Sport/Premium (101k miles) recently. What I thought was going to be a hose replacement has turned into the need for a new PS Rack, upon further inspection. Oops!

I'm looking at getting a Bosch/ZF Remanufactured Rack from RMeuropean (they seem to be well reviewed), which comes with the inner tie rods and boots attached. It looks like you can't just buy the outer tie rod ends by themselves, so I was going to order the Lemfoerder Tie Rod assemblies. My question is...would you (can you) just attach the ends from the Lemfoerder assembly to the already attached inner rods and boot and call it a day? Or would you want to yank the inner tie rods that come with the rack and put on the full Lemfoerder Tie Rod assembly?

Thanks!
    Jeff

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What do you mean you can't buy the outer tie rods? You can absolutely buy both inner and outer tie rods together separately from the rack. Most of them are sold as one unit. Check on ECStuning, FCPEuro, etc.

What's wrong with the rack and pinion?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-53...ering/Tie_Rod/

- - - Updated - - -

Get the Lemforder brand.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/53...80&m=20&page=1

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Thanks for the reply, auaq. What I meant was that when purchasing the tie rods, it appears you get the whole inner/outer assembly. The link you provided for Lemfoerder is the tie rod assembly I was looking at, in fact.

The remanufactured rack comes with the inner rods attached already. So I was just curious about the fact that I'm going to end up with two sets of the inner tie rod portion of the assembly. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I'm replacing the rack because it is leaking out the ends.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Ah, gotcha. You can try to get a used good condition one from eBay. I too had leaks coming from the inner tie rods, so I decided to replace my rack as well. I had already bought new tie rod sets so when the new rack showed up, I cleaned it thoroughly and removed the old tie rods, and installed the new ones on. You may also want to replace the dust boots as well.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    I toyed with going used, but now planning to do the full OE-remanufactured route with 2 year warranty.

When I created this post, I was thinking it was weird that all of the rebuilt/remanufactured units seem to come with new boots and inner tie rods, when they must know that you're going to be buying a full tie rod assembly. But now it occurs to me that it must be common to buy these racks and just attach them to the existing outer tie rods.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    If the outer tie rods are in great shape then I guess getting a rebuilt rack with inner tie rods wouldn't be a bad idea.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    On my 528 wagon, my the inner tie rods had a bit of play, the steering felt notchy leading me to believe that the rack was also bad. I had a spare set of Lemforder tie rods for my 530 sitting around, so I decided to install them into the wagon. The rack is perfectly fine, 190,000 miles and the rack is perfect, tight, 100%. I suggest you replace the tie rods before ordering a rack.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    e23, e32, e34, e39
    The seals can be replaced as well. I did this on my 97. Just passenger side was leaking. Part number 9039 $37.00 at Autozone. I only used one or two seals from the kit. Although if both seals are leaking, you may be going the correct route with a whole rebuilt rack.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Yeah, both seals are leaking. I think I'm gonna play it safe with the remanufactured rack. I suppose I should see if my current outer tie-rods are ok and perhaps just attach those to the inner tie-rods that come with the remanufactured unit, rather than assuming I need new outer tie-rods because they have 100k on them.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    FWIW OEM for tie rods is TRW, which I got and have been happy with, but I'm sure the Lemforder are good too.

My Cars
    1998 528i 5-spd 102K
    The reason rebuilt Steering Rack usually comes with INNER tie rod: this way they can install the rubber boot to protect the SR itself from dust etc.
    Admittedly, they can wrap the ends in ZipLoc too.

Anyway, this is my 2 cents:
    - Get the SR
    - Replace the INNER tie rod with Lemforder tie rod, which comes as a combo (INNER and OUTER in the same part).

My Cars
    2003 530i
    Thanks! Seems like a sensible way to go. Ordered my rack yesterday from RMeuropean and it already arrived today!