Thread: Introduction: 548it

My Cars
    2002 540i

Introduction: 548it

Well I didn't see an introduction section, so I figured I'd start in the Engine Conversion section. I just got an '02 540i with the entire intention of putting an LS engine in it. I already have the 4.8L that will go in it.

Now a little background about me. I'm a mechanical engineer and have been into the LS engines since I read about them in HS in 1995. I started off with a 99 T/A, then a '01 Formula, then a 99 Corvette FRC, then an '09 G8 GT. I've also built a truck or two or 3 or 4. My first truck was a 72 GMC that I put an TPI 350 in. Then I sold that to fund part of my 68 C10 SWB with a 5.3L in that I still have. I also built a '69 GMC truck that started as a 3/4t longbed and I converted into a 1/2 ton SWB with a TBI 350 in. Finally, I took a '97 Chevy Crewcab 2wd dually 454 and converted it into a crew cab shortbed 4wd (solid axle) with a P-pumped 12V Cummins. So I've built a few vehicles.

Back in the day when I got the G8 (before having our first kid.....corvettes and kids don't work well) I seriously considered a e39 M5, at the time they were in the ball park of the G8 price wise, but maintenance cost on the M5 vs a factory warranty on the G8...well you know which one at that time. But, I've always liked the e39s.

So fast forward a little more, started a metal cutting / fabrication business, bought a Jeep Wrangler to use as a daily driver / product development vehicle. Well after a year of driving the Wrangler, I'm basically done with product development and I'm sick of driving this thing. So I got the 540i to replace it (it will be sale in a few weeks).

So the plan. Judging by the title of this thread, you might be able to figure it out. 4.8L turbo charged, t56 trans. I really like the M-parralel wheels, so I'll probably switch to those at some point as well.

The 540i I got has 199k miles on it, but has been well taken care of. If I didn't know better I would guess it has 60k miles on it based on its condition. It is an auto, so I'll have to find some pedals for it. I'm also going to see about mounting a Ford 8.8 IRS diff. The M5 diffs are just so stupid expensive, and parts for the 8.8 are pretty cheap. Plus, with the t56, 3.15s are too high.

I'm hoping to be able to sell a kit to put a 8.8 into an e39. It will require custom half shafts and a custom driveshaft. Its just an idea at this point, but I might make it to the salvage yard this weekend to get a diff for initial mock up. Also, I think the 8.8s will likely have limited slip and 3.73 gears in it from an explorer or mustang....so we'll see what I can find.

My Cars
    2002 540i

Here it is on the lift. I got new tires ordered and I found it needs new rear sway bar end links.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 540i

Double post
    Last edited by Ackattack; 01-18-2017 at 08:42 AM.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Right on! Can't wait to see what you come up with. An 8.8 swap kit is certainly something that you will have interest in. Any idea on what turbo you are thinking of going with?

My Cars
    2002 540i

Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Right on! Can't wait to see what you come up with. An 8.8 swap kit is certainly something that you will have interest in. Any idea on what turbo you are thinking of going with?
    I don't know what turbo yet. I'll put the engine in stock initially and make sure it's wired all correctly and work out any bugs before I add the turbo. I'll go ahead and monitor the manifolds forward and merge them into a downpipe for the eventual turbo. I'm "only" thinking 450-550 RWHP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ackattack; 01-18-2017 at 08:43 AM.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I figure I need to update this thread.

I got the 8.8 conversion prototype done. It's all installed except for the custom driveshaft. I thought of making an adapter piece, but got too antsy to start on the engine swap, and I didn't want to put the exhaust and everything back together for 1 test drive just to tear it all apart again.

I started on the engine swap a few days before Christmas and got the 4.4L out. Until i started this project, I hadn't worked on BMWs before, and I must say they do some things better than the american cars I've worked on (connector holders and wire routing, hoses with "snap ring" things, engine wiring that completely disconnects from the car, making the engine/trans easy to pull).

So once I got the stock engine out of the way, I started on the engine stands / trans crossmember. I took some measurements of the frame/motor mounts. Luckily I have Solidworks and was able to find a model of a LS engine and T56. I designed the crossmember and engine stands "virtually" while I was out of town over Christmas. After Christmas I've had all week off and had a few hours each days so I cut out a trans crossmember and formed it up. This "locked the combo in for/aft" and I measured for the engine height and location. I modified my design a little made the engine stands. While in the process I also notched out the GTO oil pan and checked for clearance.

I had to move the combo forward another 1/4" so I made another trans crossmember and the engine stands. It all fits and goes in and out pretty easily (I took it in and out about 6 times verifying fit. Once I was happy I took the whole combo out. The oil pan is at a welder getting welded back together.

I'm planning on ordering my custom driveshaft tomorrow. It looks like i'll go with a 3.5" diameter 1 piece shaft with 1350 u-joints.

I'll be going to work for the next week, and then have another whole week off, that I should be able to dedicate almost the entire day to getting the swap well on its way to completion.

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480

Quote Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
    I figure I need to update this thread.

I got the 8.8 conversion prototype done. It's all installed except for the custom driveshaft. I thought of making an adapter piece, but got too antsy to start on the engine swap, and I didn't want to put the exhaust and everything back together for 1 test drive just to tear it all apart again.

I started on the engine swap a few days before Christmas and got the 4.4L out. Until i started this project, I hadn't worked on BMWs before, and I must say they do some things better than the american cars I've worked on (connector holders and wire routing, hoses with "snap ring" things, engine wiring that completely disconnects from the car, making the engine/trans easy to pull).

So once I got the stock engine out of the way, I started on the engine stands / trans crossmember. I took some measurements of the frame/motor mounts. Luckily I have Solidworks and was able to find a model of a LS engine and T56. I designed the crossmember and engine stands "virtually" while I was out of town over Christmas. After Christmas I've had all week off and had a few hours each days so I cut out a trans crossmember and formed it up. This "locked the combo in for/aft" and I measured for the engine height and location. I modified my design a little made the engine stands. While in the process I also notched out the GTO oil pan and checked for clearance.

I had to move the combo forward another 1/4" so I made another trans crossmember and the engine stands. It all fits and goes in and out pretty easily (I took it in and out about 6 times verifying fit. Once I was happy I took the whole combo out. The oil pan is at a welder getting welded back together.

I'm planning on ordering my custom driveshaft tomorrow. It looks like i'll go with a 3.5" diameter 1 piece shaft with 1350 u-joints.

I'll be going to work for the next week, and then have another whole week off, that I should be able to dedicate almost the entire day to getting the swap well on its way to completion.
    Nice progress. The 3.5” driveline will most likely rub on the ebrake cables. I say this from experience. A 3” barely clears in my car.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by unnatrl View Post
    Nice progress. The 3.5” driveline will most likely rub on the ebrake cables. I say this from experience. A 3” barely clears in my car.
    Thats a good point I'll have to double check. Thanks for the input

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Here are some pics of the progress

My Cars
    '00 540 6.0/4L80e/S480
    Quote Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
    Thats a good point I'll have to double check. Thanks for the input

The 3.5” physically fit, but the rubbing happened once I drove it. There was just enough deflection in the rubber bushings to cause it. The 3” that I ended up with has some marks, but I’ve never heard the scraping. Self clearanced I guess...

If you look through my thread there is a very convenient flange that bolts up to the stock 540 6-bolt flange (very minimal mod required) that uses a 1350 u-joint.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Got a little more work done last night. Took out the center console and auto shifter. Also pulled the lower dash to access the pedals to swap in the clutch/brake pedal assembly.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I put the engine in for the final check for the driveshaft length. I ended up cutting a new hole for the shifter to stick through.

Speaking of the shifter, I made a design for the shift knob I'm going to have made! Now before y'all get mad about the M logo, my steering wheel and wheels already have the M logo stock, so it kinda just comtinues the cues.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Still working along. I ordered the driveshaft a few days ago and I'll pick it up tomorrow.

I got the clutch pedal assembly in. For the clutch line, the slave cylinder line adapts to a -3 AN fitting. I was able to put a double flare onto the BMW 6mm line and put a standard flare but on it. Then I'm converting that to -3 as well.

I removed the high pressure power steering line and I'm hoping to have it flares to something I can use tomorrow as well. Currently I have a fitting that threads into the corvette power steering pump with a -6 end on it. We'll see what the shop van do to make something workable.

I also worked on laying out the wiring a little bit. I found where I'm going to tap into for a switched power source, constant power source, and start signal. I'm going to put the GM ECU under the cabin filter next to the brake booster. That's the side it's on in a GM truck and there is more room on that side for my fuse block since I got rid of the oil filter housing and something else that was on that fender. With the front clip removes it's been easy to work on the wiring since I can reach all around without leaning over everywhere or having to climb in and out of the engine compartment.

I also worked on the exhaust. I was hoping to run the truck manifolds in there normal location and simply the into the stock BMW exhaust until I add the turbo. The passenger side was hitting the fire wall and the drivers side is real tight all over. I ended up mounting them down and forward. I had to rework the passenger side (originally drivers side) to reangle it to not point directly at the engine stand. So for now the plan is to run 2.5" to a fitting where they'll y together into 3" and run a single 3 inch all the way out the back. The pipe and fittings will be here in a few days.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I did a little work on a custom badge for my project too

https://youtu.be/ijq9AFV5itQ

My Cars
    2002 540i
    I picked up the driveshaft and got it installed. While I was out, I also tackled try to figure out a solution for my power steering hose to be able to connect the gearbox and pump. I found a shop that was able to weld on a AN fitting onto the 10mm tube. The fitting coming out of the pump is already -6AN. Now all I have to to is make up a short jumper tube to connect the two.

I also swung by the salvage yard. They didn't have any E39s like I had hoped for, but I did find a 3 series with the correct connectors for the ECM. I also for another connector that will fit into the Ebox. I also for a coolant overflow tank off a VW.

When I got home I started on the clutch line. I took the drivers seat out as well as the carpet. Here I noticed a hole in the floor that is already there for the clutch line to run through from the MC to the slave. I'll need to get a grommet, but otherwise that's done.

Finally, I started on the wiring. I tapped into a switched power source that runs to a relay that then will power all my stitches power source needs.

Then I started on the fuel pump. I flip open my notes and Bentley manual and head to the trunk to look for the fuel pump relay as the manual says......theres no fuel pump relay. I was like WTF, and pulled up this forum and found that for the later models it's behind the glove box. I managed to get that panel out and do a little electrical testing to verify that it's wired as the Bentley manual shows (it is). Then, knowing the LS ECM provides a positive signal to trigger the fuel pump I cut the two trigger wires and wires then to the GM ECM and ground. This will avoid having to run a relay to operate the original fuel pump relay as some have done.

To get the wires into the interior I was able to fish the wires through the grommet going to the ebox using a piece of TIG wire I had.

My Cars
    2000 “560i”
    Looking good, nice progress!

S.F.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Figure I better update this.

Engine is in and running. I took the last week off and have busted butt getting it put in. I haven't driven the car yet. But I put it in gear while an inch off the ground and put it in gear. I don't have the headlights in, it iced/snowed here, and I don't have insurance on it right now, so those things have made driving it kind of a no go.

Here's a run down of what I did.

- Custom engine and trans mount as I showed

- Measured for the driveshaft and had a custom one made. It's 3-1/2" diameter with 1350 u-joints. It's connected to my Ford 8.8 rearend that is not really included in the swap.

- I welded V-band clamps on the stock truck manifolds. They're forward and down facing. The 2-1/2" pipe come down and then y together into a 3" pipe that runs towards the back of the car. This is all in preparation for the turbo. I'll have to re-do the y-pipe portion when the time comes and I may re-do a portion of the 3" exhaust, but it's super tight until I get down past the firewall.

For the power steering, the BMW pump uses a banjo fitting. I cut that off and had a -6AN fitting welded on and then connected that to the corvette power steering pump that already had a -6AN fitting adapter installed on it.

For the clutch line I installed a stock 5 series clutch pedal/MC. It uses a 6mm hydraulic line that I was able to put a double flare on and adapt to a -3AN line and run to the slave cylinder. I found an adapter that uses the o-ring fitting and roll pin to connect into the slave. To route the line, I found an existing hole in the floor to run the line through.

For the gas pedal, I made a plate that mounts to the BMW floor with an existing bolt and locates off another "stud" to hold it in place. It's a tight fit to for the brake pedal to not hit the gas pedal and still get full throttle. More on the gas pedal later.

For the radiator I had a used F-body radiator and e-fans. As I was starting to mount up the radiator I popped the cap off and man this thing was NASTY, so rather than trying to clean it out, I bit the bullet and bought a new one.

Then on to the wiring. Of course this took awhile as I knew it would. I used the information off of LT1swap.com to wire it up, great information there. I found a switched power source off the BMW, and found a wire from the ignition switch for the start wire. I wired up a relay that then runs down to the starter. I used a fuse/relay box i found on amazon. It has spots for 6 relays and 6 fuses. One relay runs all the switched circuits, 2 for the e-fans, and one for the starter

For the air intake, I found some 4" aluminum pipe, an elbow and a couple of 4x3.75 connectors to connect to the MAFS. I then modifiied the BMW airbox lid to accept the 4" pipe that I screwed/siliconed together. I looks nice, but I"m concerned that engine movement will pull the setup apart, so we'll see.

So the time came to test fire up the car (no exhaust, no cooling system). I flashed the ECM to turn off VATS as I've done with other swaps and nothing. So I did a little more reading and ended up having to turn off the start relay fault check or something like that. Then it fired to life. I ran it for just a few seconds. I did note that I didn't have any throttle response. Now when I wired up the gas pedal I had the wiring notes from LT1swap.com and found a diagram of the connector that goes to the gas pedal (aka APP) since the pin out wasn't imprinted anywhere on the connector I didn't realize that the diagram and the wiring notes didn't match. I went with the connector diagram initially, and when I re-wired it to the wiring notes, bam....I had throttle response.

Once I got the engine going, I noticed that the speedo (on HPTuner that is) wasn't registering when in gear. I was able to go in and change a few settings and now the speedo is working. For now my gauge cluster isn't working, but I have a head unit that has Torque on it, so I can run all my gauges off of that for now.

I still have more to do, but want to test drive it before I button it all up. Still to do:
    -get the reverse lights to work
    - figure out something for the reverse lockout solenoid
    - get the BMW guages working
    - cover and protect all the wiring
    - mount the fuse block
    - mount the overflow bottle
    - install the front end, headlights, and hood
    - put the interior back together
    - take videos of me doing smoky burnouts!

My Cars
    2002 540i
    Some pictures as well:

My Cars
    2002 540i
    knocked off the following from the to do list:
    -get the reverse lights to work
    - figure out something for the reverse lockout solenoid
    - mount the fuse block
    - mount the overflow bottle
    - install the front end, headlights, and hood
    - put the interior back together (mostly)
    - fixed seat twist

Now I'm tinkering with the wiring, trying to get the gauges to work. Based on research, reading, and wire chasing, my speedo should be working. Also need to order a BMW temp sensor.

On the LS side of things, I'm trying to work through the rev limiter kicking in at 4000 rpms. I'm using an "E38" ecm from an auto pickup. I may have to re-install the TCM to trick the ECM to think its in gear.

For now my reverse solenoid is just a switch inside that I push before shifting to reverse. The corvettes with the e38 ecm had a wire from the ECM to do this. I'm hoping I can just add a wire and it will work, but I haven't tried.