Thread: A reckless driver this morning... an advise needed.

My Cars
    ...it depands

A reckless driver this morning... an advise needed.

I don't usually do this, but this morning, a 20-something-looking young person (in a flashy blue M235) decide to cut me off from the side; then, immediately made two-lane lane change to make a turn. And I bet that he would swiped my fender if I didn't brake and let him in because I almost missed him by less than a foot. Btw, I would be almost comical if this person is a member here.

I have to say that it was good thing I had a dashcam installed recently. I'm now just trying to figure out what I should do with this information. I was so furious that I made this attachment to leave on his car (to my amusement, he works at the next office building over). Should I confront the guy? Or is there any type of law reinforcement that I could pass on this type of information to? Technically no one was injured, and thank God for that!!

Thanks in advance.

Attachment 590939
    Last edited by nevan; 01-17-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    Looks like he's using his turn lights. That's a plus for a BMW driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by magnetchief View Post
    Looks like he's using his turn lights. That's a plus for a BMW driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Especially for a 20 something looking person, I am sure (sorry , no pun intended to anyone).

On a serious note; that doesnt give a permission to force into a lane, sigh...

My Cars
    '01 BMW Coupe 3.0 manual
    Some states consider that aggressive driving and is a ticket-able offense and should be reported, most states don't care. You need to see what the laws are in your state.
    Jim

'16 BMW X5 3.5i
    '15 GMC 2500
    '01 550 Maranello
    '01 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0 manual 5sp
    '97 Land Rover Defender 90

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by ixlr08 View Post
    Some states consider that aggressive driving and is a ticket-able offense and should be reported, most states don't care. You need to see what the laws are in your state.
    Thank you, Jim. I will look into it. I hope the state law will be on my side.

[Edit]

It seems I am able to report to CHP. But I'm having second thought about it.

Maybe the guy was running late or had to go use restroom (or whatever his reason there may be) I've decided to leave a note on his car (the attached photo above) as gentle reminder that his action could have lead to serious consequences.

Anyhow, thanks again. And here is what was able to out out about where CA's law stands in reference:

[What is California’s Law on Aggressive Driving?]
    Unlike many other states, California’s aggressive driving law does make aggressive driving a criminal offense. In California aggressive driving is treated as an automobile crime. This means that aggressive driving charges may lead to criminal penalties and can potentially remain permanently on one’s criminal record.

[When determining whether a person was driving aggressively or not, California courts will consider several factors, such as:]
    The speed that the driver was traveling at
    Whether the driver’s actions endangered other drivers
    Dangerous maneuvers such as swerving or tailgating
    In general, the California statute defines reckless driving as “a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of other persons or property”. Thus, a court will also have to make a determination as to whether the offending driver deliberately chose to disregard driving safety measures.

[What are the Penalties for Aggressive Driving in California?]
    In California, aggressive driving is initially considered to be a misdemeanor crime. According to California vehicle codes, being convicted of aggressive driving will result in the following penalties:

[Imprisonment for up to 90 days]
    A fine of up to $1,000
    Possible increases in automobile insurance rates, depending on the degree of the conviction
    Other consequences such as loss of driving privileges and/or having one’s vehicle impounded
    In addition, California driving laws also include charges for “extreme aggressive driving”, which are serious auto crimes. For example, the state of California sometimes classifies vehicles as deadly weapons. Thus, the driver may be convicted of assault with a deadly weapon if the vehicle was used to purposely injure another driver or a pedestrian.

[Assault with a deadly weapon may be considered to be a felony and may result in more severe penalties such as:]
    Fines not to exceed $10,000
    Incarceration in a prison facility for up to 4 years
    Also, repeat aggressive driving offenses will also result in increasingly severe penalties with each offense.
    Last edited by nevan; 01-17-2017 at 05:18 PM.

My Cars
    01 M5, 99 M3 Turbo, Z3M
    My advice: Get over it. Everyone does dumb shit when they're young. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes without causing harm to other members of society.
    [img]https://s1.postimg.org/2m3uctoxzz/IMG_2420.jpg[/img]
    1999 M3: RK Tunes, E85,
    GTX3582r: 585whp/608wtq @18psi
    2001 M5: Imola Red on Imola Red Interior, Evolve Alpha N Tune, IATS Relocation, AFE Dry Element Drop Ins, Dinan Front Strut Bar, Dinan Rear Swaybar, Dinan Springs and Koni Sports, Rogue SSK and Transmission Mounts

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Be thankful nothing happened and pay attention at that light because it is bound to happen again.

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoViolin View Post
    My advice: Get over it. Everyone does dumb shit when they're young. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes without causing harm to other members of society.
    Yes, I am temped move on and pretend it never happened to me. But I am also worried about exactly what you said that 'my ignoring act will ultimately cause harm to other members of society via a butterfly effect (if you want to call it)'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Be thankful nothing happened and pay attention at that light because it is bound to happen again.
    Will do, sir! It may sound strange to non believers, but in time like this, I usually offer my thanks to God.

I suppose I better practice more because there seems to newer road distractions hoping up in modern day driving too. Be safe, everyone!
    Last edited by nevan; 01-17-2017 at 06:38 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    I am sure most people on here have had moments when they drove aggressively or did something questionable. I know I have. Unless he was consistently being aggressive towards people, and antagonizing other drivers I'd let it slide.

I had a guy take pictures of my car and try to take a picture of me because, and I'm not kidding, he cut into my lane almost hitting my car, and I passed him on the shoulder and flipped him off.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    There is never an excuse for aggressive careless driving. He/she probably thinks 15 seconds of their time is more important than your life. You should report but I am sure nothing will come of it.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe, M Coupé
    This is tough.

Too many drivers think they're in a video game where there are no rules and no real world consequences.

There are are other hazards as well. Electronics and food quickly come to mind. Incompetent navigators abound. Advance planning seems a dying art, as is the ability to quickly and competently develop a "Plan B" when things don't work out as planned. How many people have you seen backing up on the freeway or cutting across multiple lanes on or near an exit?

Add in a "me first" attitude to what's offered above and what you experienced is easily explained.

Most of us would simply say... "What a [male anatomy]!

There are too many people who seem not to understand that while driving, driving is your job. Safe driving is a social compact that we will all follow the norms that balance convenience with safety--with the understanding that safety comes first among other considerations. Wedging in at high speed breaks the safety norm. Wedging in at the end of a long queue to avoid waiting breaks the cutting in line norm. I don't want anyone to stress test my brakes nor to steal my time for a matter of their convenience in breaking social norms. Know where you're going, plan ahead, and follow the rules.

Experience tells me that the driver who did this to you knew exactly what they were doing and either enjoyed doing that to you, couldn't care less about you or both. This personality type is unlikely to be introspective. That means dialogue won't be productive and it could be risky.

I would feel differently if the person was driving like they were lost, not like they were trying to reach the next level of a video game.

Get the video to the police. If this is an anomaly, nothing will come of it. If it's a problem, you've looked after the next victim.
    Last edited by Outrider; 01-22-2017 at 09:14 AM.

My Cars
    01 BMW 330ci convertible
    I agree, drivers should drive better. Then again... While I make it a point to be a defensive driver most of the time, I do tend to let her fly. Got into an argument once with a driver who cut me off and I reciprocated the favor to. Rolled down my window as he was yelling something I really didn't understand, I finally told him. "Dude, you're in a Civic, I'm in a BMW, seriously?!?, I always have the right of way!" Rolled up the window and left him at the next bend. While this is not something I would encourage others to do, I am not always as good a driver as I should be. again, this is not something one should be doing.
    2001 BMW 330 CI
    2006 Merc C230

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamnZ View Post
    "Dude, you're in a Civic, I'm in a BMW, seriously?!?, I always have the right of way!"
    I thought everyone already knew that we take precedence. Well, I'm glad you told him!

BTW, how funny is it that both ended up with E46 convertibles?!? I still have my black Z3 though!!
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    ...it depands
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    ...Too many drivers think they're in a video game where there are no rules and no real world consequences... ...Get the video to the police. If this is an anomaly, nothing will come of it. If it's a problem, you've looked after the next victim.
    Thank you for helping me get my head straight. I contacted CHP, and they routed me to local police officers. I will be handing over the evidences including plate info to them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DreamnZ View Post
    ..."Dude, you're in a Civic, I'm in a BMW, seriously?!?...
    I can now better understand the other person's state of mind since I was in my mini suv.

Seriously, the driver knew exactly what he was doing when he tried to push me out of lane, and off to the shoulder. As magnetchief mentioned, I went back to check the dashcam video clip, and he even had his blinker on and saw me. Yet he continued. In my book, that says to me that I'm dealing with something else entirely. Anyway, I will get back with update if any....

Thanks again everyone. And for those in cali, be safe during this stormy weather.
    Last edited by nevan; 01-20-2017 at 06:12 PM.
    2000 Z3 M Titanium Silver / Imola Red+Black Nappa
    2011 328i E92 Space Gray Metallic / Leder Dakota+Oyster
    Since 1987 12 euros / 2 kdms / 2 jdms
    - Zach

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    In those cases, if I see the driver, I approach with respect, simply point out what happened, without judgmental terms (like asshole, stupid, rude, etc.), and suggest that he might be better off not doing that. Often the persons apologizes, makes an excuse, but still gets the message. One guy was very rude. I simply said that if he's lucky in the future, he'll get a ticket; if he's unlucky, he'll hurt someone. Then I leave. If I don't see the driver, I leave a note. I try to remember: it's not my job to fix him by "making" him see my point or agree with me, but simply to give him a message. Mainly, I wouldn't start a big argument over it. That distracts from the message.
    Last edited by zellamay; 01-21-2017 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You were very mature to act politely. I, many times have a hard time keeping cool at deliberate stupidity or malicious intent.
    Unfortunately I don't expect the police to be able to do anything, as I don't expect them to chase something without damaging incident.. but if enough complains come around then, eventually it's helpful.

On a more humorous note, once in a late evening, with light freeway traffic... a driver was determined to cut off EVERYONE on the freeway that night. He was going just a bit faster than everyone, and switched from lane to lane (5 lanes across) and cut off everyone, including me. He continued on forward, doing the same to the people ahead. Stunned, all I could do is laugh. Wish I had a dashcam to be able to replay it. It wasn't too unsafe, but more humorous than anything.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    (snip) On a more humorous note, once in a late evening, with light freeway traffic... a driver was determined to cut off EVERYONE on the freeway that night. He was going just a bit faster than everyone, and switched from lane to lane (5 lanes across) and cut off everyone, including me. He continued on forward, doing the same to the people ahead. Stunned, all I could do is laugh. Wish I had a dashcam to be able to replay it. It wasn't too unsafe, but more humorous than anything.
    I find it amusing to be in jammed up freeway traffic and watch the people trying to use all of the lanes to get ahead. While eventually they will get ahead of me, i usually pass them two or three times while staying in my lane before they eventually move ahead.

Marty

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I am (was) that guy--full admission. When I was young (under 40) I was a very bad driver, in the sense that I went way too fast and cut off everyone I possibly could for sport--weaving in and out of traffic if there was even an inch to spare on general principal. I was especially bad on a motorcycle (my last an RF900 for Randy's benefit). I treated driving in traffic as if all the world were a track. Somehow I lived through that and didn't hurt anyone, but it was just reflexes, dumb luck, and Calvinist Grace. I am older, slower, and wiser now--I set my cruise for the speed limit (ok, maybe 9 over depending) and make sure I have plenty of room in front of and behind me. If I exceed the speed limit by more than that, I make damn sure I know the road like the back of my hand, and that I have all the room and then some. If someone is tailgating me, I gradually slow down until they pass, and if someone cuts me off, I slow down to get back into having a comfort zone between me and they. I signal my turns and lane changes, and try not to make any sudden unpredictable moves. If I realize at the last second that I'm about to pass up my turn, I just let it happen and turn around and go back. I'm in no position to criticize or point fingers (or do anything else with my fingers) at people who drive like I used to--I thoroughly understand. At 40 (right about the time that cell phones become ubiquitous, but before texting took off) I noticed that my reflexes were slowing down; up until then I could always count on them--I had reliably reacted faster than everyone else. Within a couple of years of discovering that I wasn't quite as fast as I thought, I gave up riding, determined to change my ways, and brought my driving (slowly--it took years) into line. To those I offended then I apologize now--it was stupid of me (not that that makes up for it), and I thank God for the Grace that I didn't hurt anyone. For those who drive like I used to, well, it feels good to stop as a matter of fact.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0/5 roadster
    That 911 and me last weekend on the Parkway, Wow

My Cars
    1.9 z3 00
    Quote Originally Posted by nevan View Post
    I don't usually do this, but this morning, a 20-something-looking young person (in a flashy blue M235) decide to cut me off from the side; then, immediately made two-lane lane change to make a turn. And I bet that he would swiped my fender if I didn't brake and let him in because I almost missed him by less than a foot. Btw, I would be almost comical if this person is a member here.

I have to say that it was good thing I had a dashcam installed recently. I'm now just trying to figure out what I should do with this information. I was so furious that I made this attachment to leave on his car (to my amusement, he works at the next office building over). Should I confront the guy? Or is there any type of law reinforcement that I could pass on this type of information to? Technically no one was injured, and thank God for that!!

Thanks in advance.

Attachment 590939
    Educate him..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKH5Gd92k74

ohh wrong link, that shows how someone can lose the driving license!

I would put a note on his wiper blade.. as you did..
    Next time you will drive like an idiot and put others in danger you will be running like there is no tomorrow at courts..

You have to respect the society.. the public roads are not race track, especially in the city.
    Here in Greece the same, you can see all kinds of stupidness. Vehicles don't show respect on motorcyclists or pedestrians.
    I was so surprised with what i saw when i visited Holland. People respect each other, the environment and the society they live in. They dont even need police to enforce it, they do it on their own. Just amazing!!

My Cars
    S54 Roady, LS1 & LS2 E36
    snitching over a poor lane changer but no accidents occurring. I wouldn't even remember it happened an hour later much less foaming at the mouth over it.