Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e36 M3 Turbo Decision

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

e36 M3 Turbo Decision

I've always have wanted a turbo M3 or even to just drive one, so yesterday I found one for sale that was local and went for a joy ride. I must admit it's intoxicating and such an amazing platform. I don't know why it took so long to drive one! The gentleman that is selling the turbo M3 really wants me to buy it and I would love to own it. I just have no way to at the moment.

If anyone knows this car and knows any information about it, please chime in and let me know if the info is correct; because, it makes me very nervous trying to pursue a turbo M3 from someone who didn't build it.

1997 BMW M3 (silver)
    148k miles
    built s52 with pistons, rods, cutring hg, arp rods
    spa turbo manifold
    garret gt35r turbo
    sparco racing seat
    performance clutch
    Gotech standalone

It ran really good when I drove it. No check engine light, everything seemed to run great. It only went up to ~6lbs when in boost according to the gauge. no air fuel gauge or anything other then boost. It was supposedly built by the owner of Gotech. There's no dyno sheets or really any records on the car that could be found. The car has basically been sitting the last few years.

I can't afford the car at all right now, so I'm just dreaming, but does anyone know the build and have any recommendations? I have a friend looking for a fun e36 M3 to buy as a toy, so I think this could fit his build. I just don't want to steer him towards it if it isn't a solid car. Any information on the car would be awesome! I do not have pictures and there is very little info on their for sale post. It was probably built about 8 years ago for a frame of reference if that helps

My Cars
    Turbo 350Z
    I can't see your location because I'm on the app. Is this car in South florida?

'97 M3/4 3.0l "Frankenstein" 760whp
    E90 335i 6mt Sold
    '97 Jetta TDi 16v ABA swap w/ pt6266 Sold
    2004.5 350Z APS ST 475whp 505wtq Sold
    2000 323i Sold

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlZ View Post
    I can't see your location because I'm on the app. Is this car in South florida?
    the car was built in Florida, but now it's in Arkansas

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The parts sound good, but I'd want to see the car, check it out, and find out how much it costs if I was in the market. Seems odd boost is only 6 psi with the built engine and a GT35R. You experienced probably 300 rwhp, but the parts should be capable of more like 600 rwhp if tuned for it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    The parts sound good, but I'd want to see the car, check it out, and find out how much it costs if I was in the market. Seems odd boost is only 6 psi with the built engine and a GT35R. You experienced probably 300 rwhp, but the parts should be capable of more like 600 rwhp if tuned for it.

oddly enough the gentleman selling it is like 72 and he turned it way down (said it was running 26lb of boost and 700hp when he bought it). I've tried some research on Gotech to see if they have a build thread, but no luck so far. I'm sure it has allot of power left in it. It's just hard to know if everything is done right since it's second hand info and then it's been sitting so long idk how that will affect things.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Probably smart for the owner to turn the boost down so a test drive doesn't wrap it around a tree.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine 318is View Post
    Probably smart for the owner to turn the boost down so a test drive doesn't wrap it around a tree.
    I completely agree, but he turned it down so he could drive it lol He was driving it up to two years ago until his health wouldn't allow him to operate the clutch. It made me laugh that an older gentleman would buy such an amazing car, just to turn it down. Sadly he also doesn't have the dyno sheet of when he purchased it

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    That sorta came off rude and assumed you don't know how to handle the power and I didn't mean it like that. I just know my 350rwhp twinscrew car is a handful and I'm still getting used to it. Can't imagine what 500 rwhp in an E36 feels like.

Personally, I would lowball the crap out of him if you are close to affording it. I know it might not be as satisfying as building your own but buying over building is much much better value.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    That sorta came off rude and assumed you don't know how to handle the power and I didn't mean it like that. I just know my 350rwhp twinscrew car is a handful and I'm still getting used to it. Can't imagine what 500 rwhp in an E36 feels like.

Personally, I would lowball the crap out of him if you are close to affording it. I know it might not be as satisfying as building your own but buying over building is much much better value.
    no offense taken at all. I understand how that works. I've had a couple people test drive cars and tear something up and they weren't even that highly modded. I just went for a joy ride. I unfortunately am working with like a budget of nothing. Sunk allot of money into my project car, so it's mainly day dreaming, but I'm trying to talk my friend into buying it. Just hoping someone knew the build to verify everything about it.

p.s. in theory saying it's had everything done that is advertised what's it worth with 150k miles?

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Some people around here will have a way better idea of the price but I would guess that's a 13k-15K car. Graphite9 had one very similar to that and couldn't sell it for $15k

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    It's an odd situation. He's asking $14,000 for it, but he has a lady advertising it for him and doing all of that work and she has it listed for $12,000. So they aren't exactly on the same page. When I had money a couple years ago I saw a couple nice ones go for around $10,500. I just have no idea how much it's worth given the mileage and parts etc

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Can't imagine what 500 rwhp in an E36 feels like.
    Feels like somethin's wrong with the turbo e36 making it low on power.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    6465 328ti
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    Feels like somethin's wrong with the turbo e36 making it low on power.
    lol

My Cars
    95 m3, 85 e23,
    700 on gt35r? A little hard to bileve. I thought they max out at like around 600.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by postsmart View Post
    700 on gt35r? A little hard to bileve. I thought they max out at like around 600.
    yea I thought it was pretty high but then again maybe he was referring to crank horsepower and not wheel

My Cars
    '97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by lbennyboobool View Post
    yea I thought it was pretty high but then again maybe he was referring to crank horsepower and not wheel
    He must be a VW guy if he is talking crank hp, they always do that to make their numbers bigger.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by chikinhed View Post
    He must be a VW guy if he is talking crank hp, they always do that to make their numbers bigger.

I believe he is just going off what he was told when he bought the car.

Should the setup be good for 500whp? That's all i would want for a while

My Cars
    1997 328i Sedan
    http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5962122690.html Or you could get into this project car for $8.5k in Tulsa. I went poking around craigslist to try and find the car you are looking at. I didn't find it, but I did find this thing..
    - E36 328i black - Steel adjustable rear lower control arms, Bridgestone RE-11
    - E46 325ci white

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisBMW View Post
    http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/5962122690.html Or you could get into this project car for $8.5k in Tulsa. I went poking around craigslist to try and find the car you are looking at. I didn't find it, but I did find this thing..
    talking to that guy too �� lol I like black better personally, but idk what my friend likes better. If you look on CL in fayetteville it's the one that is silver $11,300 one picture no information. I just wish I had money ugh 1st world problems

My Cars
    1997 328i Sedan
    Lol. Good luck. I'm still happy with my 328i every time I rev it out. I must have small balls, but it puts a smile on my face.
    - E36 328i black - Steel adjustable rear lower control arms, Bridgestone RE-11
    - E46 325ci white

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameisBMW View Post
    Lol. Good luck. I'm still happy with my 328i every time I rev it out. I must have small balls, but it puts a smile on my face.
    Thank you sir! The 328s are allot of fun and so is my stock M3, I've been happy with it for 1.5 years. just would love to experience what everyone else that has a turbo e36 in here does.....someday

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you cannot afford a turbo car or turbo system all at once, you can buy new/used parts and put together a system over time, but I recommend that only if you have a plan and know what you are buying.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    If you cannot afford a turbo car or turbo system all at once, you can buy new/used parts and put together a system over time, but I recommend that only if you have a plan and know what you are buying.
    that's kind of my problem, I can't make up my mind what I would want to use as a good solid setup. I want to buy something complete and then change little things as needed or wanted. We will see how things go. If I didn't hoard so much, I would probably have some extra money

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have watched a few builds spiral out of control and never get done, some take too long and never get done, and some go through so many changes the original plan was not cost effective. I agree with figuring out what you want to do and how you want to do it before starting. Make a plan, stick to it, know what you are buying, and follow through. If its a 2 year plan, don't bother. Just wait until you can do it at once. If it is a year or less plan, go for it.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    I have watched a few builds spiral out of control and never get done, some take too long and never get done, and some go through so many changes the original plan was not cost effective. I agree with figuring out what you want to do and how you want to do it before starting. Make a plan, stick to it, know what you are buying, and follow through. If its a 2 year plan, don't bother. Just wait until you can do it at once. If it is a year or less plan, go for it.
    well my supercharged M3 track car is going on 2.5 years and still not up and running yet..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast