Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 850i in bad shape vs. my newly restored 328is

My Cars
    "95 840 Ci Sport Indi
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston;29567421[B
    ]An 850i in that condition is still not "worth fixing" even if you were able to get it for free. The good ones are too cheap to even consider one like that. I'd say these distressed E31s are the most expensive ones in the end[/B], but I've never actually seen anyone stay with a really rough one long enough to bring it up to par. The idea sounds more exciting and economical until you start getting your hands into it.

What he said...^^^

My Cars
    1995 E36 328is
    So how much does the MK Sport wheels go for?

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    An 850i in that condition is still not "worth fixing" even if you were able to get it for free. The good ones are too cheap to even consider one like that. I'd say these distressed E31s are the most expensive ones in the end, but I've never actually seen anyone stay with a really rough one long enough to bring it up to par. The idea sounds more exciting and economical until you start getting your hands into it.
    Don't agree with that statement. Yes if you bring it to the mechanic and say fix it then it's not worth it...
    I know several avid 8 enthusiasts including myself that had restored an 8 from a very bad condition back to glory.
    Last edited by dragon850; 01-20-2017 at 03:03 PM.

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850
    Don't agree with that statement. Yes if you bring it to the mechanic and say fix it then it's not worth it...
    I know several avid 8 enthusiasts including myself that had restored an 8 pretty from a very bad condition back to glory.
    Even doing all the work yourself, this car would require more money than the purchase price of an already-sorted one.

To make it look good in pics, sure $5000 ought to do it. To redo all the suspension links with OEM parts, redo the paint, fix the interior, engine work, and god knows what else, you know what that takes. My car would count as a "good" one and it still has a looooong list of things wrong with it. Not including the manual swap I have spent over $20k, and that is doing almost everything myself with heavily discounted parts over the years. Even with such expenditures, my sunroof is inoperative and rusted, and my paint is now starting to fail.

- - - Updated - - -

The price difference between a good one and a bad one just isn't great enough to hassle with it. The nice ones are already needy enough, as they are all over 20 years old...

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci

Even doing all the work yourself, this car would require more money than the purchase price of an already-sorted one.

To make it look good in pics, sure $5000 ought to do it. To redo all the suspension links with OEM parts, redo the paint, fix the interior, engine work, and god knows what else, you know what that takes. My car would count as a "good" one and it still has a looooong list of things wrong with it. Not including the manual swap I have spent over $20k, and that is doing almost everything myself with heavily discounted parts over the years. Even with such expenditures, my sunroof is inoperative and rusted, and my paint is now starting to fail.

- - - Updated - - -

The price difference between a good one and a bad one just isn't great enough to hassle with it. The nice ones are already needy enough, as they are all over 20 years old...
    Would you sell your 8 for less than 30k?
    I sure wouldn't...

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    Would you sell your 8 for less than 30k?
    I sure wouldn't...
    I'll let you know when I get any offers. lol

But yeah, sadly what I would take for my car and what I could get for my car are quite different figures. :/

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    But yeah, sadly what I would take for my car and what I could get for my car are quite different figures. :/
    I'm sure that applies to most of us!
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    1984 318i
    That thing looks like a pile of shit. Interior pieces falling off..
    Don't be an idiot mate

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    A very wise dealer who mostly dealt with used Rolls Royces told me, "you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear" and believe me, I have tried too many times. As soon as you buy that car something better will come along and you'll kick yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12