Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 850i in bad shape vs. my newly restored 328is

My Cars
    1995 E36 328is

850i in bad shape vs. my newly restored 328is

Hi all,

I've been looking for a restoration project a couple of months back and was able to find me a 1995 E36 328is coupe with 50k miles.. (its not the sport package) I was able to fix the car and brought it back to life after 6 years of not running. Changed some parts like the MAF sensor, suspension kit, oem suspension and brakes and some minor detailing in the interior.
    Now, i came across this 1990 850i which is an import from Japan. Don't know the mileage and as per owner he bought the car in the hopes of restoring it but could not find the time and maybe funds to do so.
    I am thinking of selling the E36 for this.. should I or should I not?

Here's a pic of my E36
    IMG_3220.JPG

and here are some pics of the 850i (nasty condition)
    850i1.jpg850i6.jpg850i7.jpg

am I better off with the 328?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 E36 328is

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Tough choice. Aside from the cost, the biggest problem with the e31 will be finding all the parts you may need. Some parts are very tough to find these days (and can get quite pricey).
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    840ci
    omg..

jcs1966 is offline SoCal Eights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1994 BMW 840ci
    Are you high? Keep the 3 Series and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeremy Smith
    94 840Ci
    98 Porsche 986
    02 Mini Cooper
    13 Ford F150 Platinum

My Cars
    93 fjord grey 850csi
    usually I would say ditch the E36 in a heartbeat but that 850i needs panel work and probably at least a partial re spray if not a total respray which will probably cost more than the purchase cost of the E31 why not sell the E36 and look for a1/2 decent E31
    Last edited by merlin840; 01-17-2017 at 03:48 PM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I am bias, but for sure sell the 3 series and take on the 8 restoration. If you don't then PM me the car's location, I would like to buy those beat up crappy looking wheels off of it
    8 series restoration is nothing like the 3 series, maybe closer to E32 7 series. But don't let anyone scare you, the reward is far grater...
    Most parts are still available and are not super expensive. Thankfully you have a very strong forum at your disposal with core members having incredible in depth knowledge of the 8 down to every last bolt.
    Last edited by dragon850; 01-17-2017 at 07:59 PM.

My Cars
    '91 e31
    Do it because you love it - you will most likely lose your shirt in the process.
    Working on the e31 is rewarding in ways that the e36 will not be - go in with your eyes open, prepare to be surprised anyway, and enjoy the ride!

My Cars
    Dinan 8
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    I am bias, but for sure sell the 3 series and take on the 8 restoration. If you don't then PM me the car's location, I would like to buy those beat up crappy looking wheels off of it
    8 series restoration is nothing like the 3 series, maybe closer to E32 7 series. But don't let anyone scare you, the reward is far grater...
    Most parts are still available and are not super expensive. Thankfully you have a very strong forum at your disposal with core members having incredible in depth knowledge of the 8 down to every last bolt.
    Pasig
    City in the Philippines

Long trip for wheels!

Glacier Blue 1991 Dinan 8 | Chasis CB73392 | 1 of 50 Produced
    Built for PGA Pro Mark Calcavecchia
    Twin Turbo 5.0L V12 w/ Air-to-Air Intercoolers
    525hp - 589ft/lbs tq

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    I want the rims on the 8'er. E31 will cause cursing, yelling, drinking, crying, and most likely a slimmer wallet by the end of it and yet somehow i can't seem to even think of letting it go....

My Cars
    are slow
    The E31, it's all about what's on the inside, right?

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    Sell your car and look for an e31 in better condition. That looks like a part out. If it hasn't run in a while I think it would be easier to revive a V8.

My Cars
    1995 E36 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by XTREMETUNING View Post
    Pasig
    City in the Philippines

Long trip for wheels!
    yup he is right.. the car is in cebu, philippines.. i am from pasig city, metro manila

something is weird.. i was checking the pics that were sent to me and the car said it had mauritius blau-metallic.. but when i checked the VIN that was given, bmwdecoder said it had diamantschwartz metallic. anyways.. looks like the the front and rear pillars are gone.. (is that easy to find?) my mechanic's two cents are mostly about the engine and tranny.. maybe risky as it is a V12 and he said electrical maybe an issue. it runs on 6 cylinders per bank, is that correct? i don't know anyone who has an 850i here but i know there are a few in my country. can be hard to get it running and he mentioned something about the brake booster issue too. well i still can't decide hahaha! i know the thrill will be 850x better than the 328.. but funds would be an issue i know that. thanks everyone!

My Cars
    1995 E36 328is
    something is weird.. i was checking the pics that were sent to me and the car said it had mauritius blau-metallic.. but when i checked the VIN that was given, bmwdecoder said it had diamantschwartz metallic. anyways.. looks like the the front and rear pillars are gone.. (is that easy to find?) my mechanic's two cents are mostly about the engine and tranny.. maybe risky as it is a V12 and he said electrical maybe an issue. it runs on 6 cylinders per bank, is that correct? i don't know anyone who has an 850i here but i know there are a few in my country. can be hard to get it running and he mentioned something about the brake booster issue too. well i still can't decide hahaha! i know the thrill will be 850x better than the 328.. but funds would be an issue i know that. thanks everyone!

or should i just convert my 328 from Auto to Manual?
    Last edited by UCB819; 01-18-2017 at 10:47 AM.

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by UCB819 View Post
    something is weird.. i was checking the pics that were sent to me and the car said it had mauritius blau-metallic.. but when i checked the VIN that was given, bmwdecoder said it had diamantschwartz metallic. anyways.. looks like the the front and rear pillars are gone.. (is that easy to find?) my mechanic's two cents are mostly about the engine and tranny.. maybe risky as it is a V12 and he said electrical maybe an issue.z it runs on 6 cylinders per bank, is that correct? i don't know anyone who has an 850i here but i know there are a few in my country. can be hard to get it running and he mentioned something about the brake booster issue too. well i still can't decide hahaha! i know the thrill will be 850x better than the 328.. but funds would be an issue i know that. thanks everyone!

or should i just convert my 328 from Auto to Manual?
    I'd work with the M70, it's a fairly reliable engine at the end of the day, as it's just two M20s welded together sharing a cam, with two DMEs. Clean it up, check out the internal condition and replace the head bolts while you're in it. Tranny is a standard 4HP24, pretty strong, reliable, and takes cheap ATF.
    Last edited by XAlt; 01-18-2017 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 850csi
    Most parts are still available and are not super expensive !!?? Exotica aside Id be interested on what folks are comparing parts prices with?

Maybethis is the case in the States but i wish it was in the UK or Europe

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by XAlt View Post
    it's just two M20s welded together sharing a cam, with two DMEs.
    hmmmmmmm

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hmg66 View Post
    Most parts are still available and are not super expensive !!?? Exotica aside Id be interested on what folks are comparing parts prices with?

Maybethis is the case in the States but i wish it was in the UK or Europe
    For the most part at least in US parts are available and not too expensive, compared to my P car for sure

My Cars
    are slow
    hmmmmmmm

- - - Updated - - -

For the most part at least in US parts are available and not too expensive, compared to my P car for sure
    Shhh.. don't tell him almost nothing from the M20 works in it.

My Cars
    '95 840Ci/6, F36, E89
    These things are a life-long passion. Most of what you have will buff out just fine with a big open wallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    ...and relentless Diy'ers,

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    ...and relentless Diy'ers,
    I think that's important... If you an avid Diy'er it is possible to bring the car back without having to take out a second mortgage, basically you go slow, research and continually learn as you go.
    If you having a mechanic actually restore the car for you then prepare to spend big bucks and on top of that you will be asking lot's of questions for your mechanic on this forum like: " my trusted mechanic says I need new DMEs does anyone have a set for sale"

My Cars
    1995 E36 328is
    checking the ads here in my country and there is a 750il up for sale for $2,500.. maybe I can part out the car for the engine if ever the engine is stuck up hehe! Owner says its running well in his ads but that needs to be test run. This is a fit am I correct? The bodywork and paint of the 850i can still be done but that would take sometime. Labor is quite cheap here as compared to where you guys are located. The 850i is being priced at $2,600 plus around $300-400 to get shipped to my city. Someone is willing to purchase my 328 for $6,400.. need to decide asap if i am gonna bight the bullet!

link to the 750il for sale:
    https://m.olx.ph/item/1992-bmw-750il...l?h=4412a176f3

dragon850: I saw some DME's on ebay going for $325-400

like this one says it has Dinan chip installed for $399
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-BMW-E31...BX-rOL&vxp=mtr

will size 20" Alpina wheels fit the 850i? someone selling em here and I actually kinda know the owner of the set
    https://m.olx.ph/item/bmw-orig-alpin...l?h=e7d88e5a55
    Last edited by UCB819; 01-19-2017 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    Quote Originally Posted by UCB819 View Post
    checking the ads here in my country and there is a 750il up for sale for $2,500.. maybe I can part out the car for the engine if ever the engine is stuck up hehe! Owner says its running well in his ads but that needs to be test run. This is a fit am I correct? The bodywork and paint of the 850i can still be done but that would take sometime. Labor is quite cheap here as compared to where you guys are located. The 850i is being priced at $2,600 plus around $300-400 to get shipped to my city. Someone is willing to purchase my 328 for $6,400.. need to decide asap if i am gonna bight the bullet!

link to the 750il for sale:
    https://m.olx.ph/item/1992-bmw-750il...l?h=4412a176f3

dragon850: I saw some DME's on ebay going for $325-400

like this one says it has Dinan chip installed for $399
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-BMW-E31...BX-rOL&vxp=mtr

will size 20" Alpina wheels fit the 850i? someone selling em here and I actually kinda know the owner of the set
    https://m.olx.ph/item/bmw-orig-alpin...l?h=e7d88e5a55
    I was joking about DMEs... yes 750il engine, transmission, diff and some other stuff is cross compatible.
    That 850 is priced pretty good, maybe you can negotiate further.
    Alpina 20" should fit. I would like to buy your old ugly wheels of that 8

My Cars
    M70 6sp. 540iT, 535is
    I would like to buy your old ugly wheels of that 8
    Lol... That's the value of this project..

My Cars
    840Ci|725tds|Alpina B7
    An 850i in that condition is still not "worth fixing" even if you were able to get it for free. The good ones are too cheap to even consider one like that. I'd say these distressed E31s are the most expensive ones in the end, but I've never actually seen anyone stay with a really rough one long enough to bring it up to par. The idea sounds more exciting and economical until you start getting your hands into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast