Thread: E36 318is Daily/Auto-X New England

My Cars
    1994 325is

E36 318is Daily/Auto-X New England

Hello all,

I have recently picked up a 1996 318is MT with 120k on the odometer and plan on using as my new daily driver as I just started a new commute of 600 miles a week and would like to get started into autocross, learn more about BMW DIY, and drive something without worrying about breaking it. Current car is a 2011 335i Xdrive that i would prefer to not put as many miles on as I recently purchased it this past spring.

I have already put in new rotors, pads, new cooling system kit from Bav Auto (radiator, water pump, thermostat, housing, etc.)

What are the options in terms of autocross classing with this car?? (SCCA/BMWCCA/NASA) I am located in CT in the northeast. I would like to put basic upgrades like bilstein sport suspension, wheels/tires, but not much else to keep it cost effective.

I have searched and cant find many (if any) people using the 4 cylinder BMW's for much autocross/HPDE but believe it would be cheap and also great for a beginner like myself. Most of the activity for E36 seems to be down south, out in california, and a few club racer in new jersey with spec e36 (BMWCCA)

Any contacts or guidance would be a great help.

picture so you might read.

My Cars
    13 M3, 89 325i
    Several years ago the E36 318 was competitive in SCCA Stock/Street class with the factory LSD, but I don't know if it's been reclassed since. Street allows you to change shocks, one sway bar, and the exhaust after the cat. You can use any wheels as long as they match the factory ones in diameter and width, and are within .25" in offset. You can use any street tire with a treadwear rating of at least 200. For BMWCCA, it will depend on which chapter you run with. The Boston chapter uses a points system for BMWs (or you could run it under SCCA classing rules in the non-BMW classes if you really wanted to). You can start the classification process here. Years ago there was an E36 318 that was running with the Boston Chapter, but he eventually turned it into a track car and added a supercharger. I haven't seen him at an autocross in a long time, as I believe he only does track days now.

There used to be some clubs that ran autocrosses somewhere in CT, but I haven't looked into them recently, so I have no idea if they're still going.

If you have general questions about autocross and HPDE, this is a good place to ask. I'm very active with the Boston Chapter autocross series, and know quite a few people in the local autocross community. I'll try and answer any questions you may have.
    You just a crazy old man seein' things that ain't there.
    -- Mr. T

My Cars
    190E 2.3-16 ; 405 Mi16
    The things you might want to do to make it a more effective autocross/track car will make it considerably less usable on the street. Roads in New England are bad enough that I wouldn't want to drive around on a race suspension!

A set of Koni SA or Bilstein Sport dampers paired with appropriate springs is probably about as far as you'd want to go if the car will be doing 600 miles/week on the street. I can't make specific recommendations about dampers or springs, because I'm not an expert on the E36 Ti chassis (I'm an E30 guy).

As for the engine, that's the least of your worries. I had an M42B18 in my 1991 E30 318is and had loads of fun with that car, even at high-speed tracks like Mosport and Watkins Glen. Plan to keep it stock.

Emre (OO=[][]=OO) 318is

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Thanks for all the input!

I will definitely have to read up on the scca stock/street class rules on wheels, i was looking to get rid of my 15" style 32's but now i should plan on keeping them.

I can source a used set of blistein sport dampers, struts, and shocks
    Sway bars
    Xbrace legal?
    New tires and call it a day!

I plan to keep the engine stock and maybe slowly build a m52 if i get bored for

My Cars
    2002 330Ci
    There are a couple of people who run in the Glen Region. Last year they ran STX and did pretty well, but a big part of that performance is Mateo being a talented driver. Before doing the mods they also did pretty well in GS back in 2014, but SCCA has added more cars to that (2nd slowest) street class in the past year or two, so not sure how competitive an e36/5 would be in GS in 2017. However, GS did get a generous PAX multiplier change for 2017 (from 0.806 to 0.793) so you might do okay for PAX if the GS field is not too competitive.
    Last edited by MarkMangicaro; 02-03-2017 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    That is good infor.ation...currently the 318is is classed in h stock and the question is can i fit e36 m3 bilsteins, rear konis and h&r sport springs on my e36 318is.i found a set for a good price ..the only concern is spring perch compatability. The dampers should hook up juat fine with different front sway atachments ...does any one know if that is compatible

My Cars
    95 M3/2/5 daytona
    If you are going to clas race in H-street, new springs are not allow only oem replacements, nor are any camber gains, also x-brace is not legal at all.
    1 sway bar, go huge in the front! Get bilstien HD struts, re71r inflated to 41 psi when autox, find a set of lightweight wheels can only go -7 mm on the offset ie +41 to a+34, and cannot get wider.
    M3 will not fit you hubs. Get a set of hp+ pads as well
    Last edited by tyd865; 02-04-2017 at 11:15 AM.