Thread: Can you power the head unit with a bench top power supply?

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S

Can you power the head unit with a bench top power supply?

My head unit cuts in and out and I was wondering if it's possible to take it out of the car and run it off of at 12v power supply. I would like to test and possible repair some joints. The radio will come back on if I break hard suggesting that something is loose, but I have already concluded it's not the harness that connects the headunit to the car.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Depends on the current capabilities of the power supply.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    I'm assuming you mean current as in electrical current. I didn't think that would be a factor. If the head unit receives 12v from the car under normal operation, the current would be limited by the electrical resistance throughout the head unit. I am mostly concerned that the security measures built into the unit could somehow prevent me from running the unit outside of the car.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Well, your question was "Can you power the head unit with a bench top power supply". Yes, you can, so long as it can source the current the radio needs. For example, if the power supply can only supply 1A of current but the radio draws 5A when on, then the power supply will either fold back or become damaged from the excessive load. Most bench top power supplies today will simply fold back, or shut off to prevent damage.

As for the security features of the radio, the only way to know for sure is to either disconnect the radio from the car momentarily and reconnect to see if it asks you for a code, or disconnect the battery from the car momentarily. Either way you're removing the constant 12V feed to the radio which is what retains memory.

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Well, your question was "Can you power the head unit with a bench top power supply". Yes, you can, so long as it can source the current the radio needs. For example, if the power supply can only supply 1A of current but the radio draws 5A when on, then the power supply will either fold back or become damaged from the excessive load. Most bench top power supplies today will simply fold back, or shut off to prevent damage.

As for the security features of the radio, the only way to know for sure is to either disconnect the radio from the car momentarily and reconnect to see if it asks you for a code, or disconnect the battery from the car momentarily. Either way you're removing the constant 12V feed to the radio which is what retains memory.
    Oh ok I see what you mean now, thanks!