Thread: Did BMW never consider a battery would EVER go dead???

My Cars
    535 IX M-Sport

Did BMW never consider a battery would EVER go dead???

Ok, so I am either kinda stupid, or the BMW design is absolutely absent minded.

Last night, I was trying to charge my phone and couldn't find my home charger, so I popped it into the outlet under the armwrest and went out to do some errands. When I got home, I figured it would shut down automatically. Well, no, I woke up this morning to find my battery completely dead in my garage. Apparently, it keeps the electricity alive if something is plugged into the arm wrest, and, disables auto shutoff. Tough way to find that out..!!!

And, guess where my jumper cables are, in the trunk. And guess what, without electricity, you cannot open the trunk. I googled it for half an hour and could not find a way to open my darn trunk. And, of course, without electricity, the car will not move, so i could not roll it back to jump it more easily. So I put a charger on the engine compartment charging point, and figured I would wait until there was enough juice to open the trunk, but the lights just flashed on and off, clearly, the trickle charging current was not enough to charge the battery, plus all the circuitry that runs when you power the car up. So I had no way to open my darn trunk. So I had to pull the battery out of my truck put it in front of the bimmer, found some short cables, to get enough charging current to open my friggin trunk and then I could jump my car.

Crap, is this me being stupid, or did i miss something really obvious!!? So, that begs the question, where do BMW drivers put there jumper cables? Or, is this a way to force subscription to road-side assistance..!!!!!!!!!!

Help, please,

Michael ( oh, btw, BMW 2012 535IX )

My Cars
    I bet you'll never do it again! Lesson learned the hard way. It's just the way they're built nowadays.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    Forgot to mention that we've had vehicles towed to the dealership for people that had the same thing happen. We had one that disconnected the power distribution box in the trunk that sits on top of the battery. If that happens, you won't even be able to put a jump box on the car to get it to turn on. The tech had to remove the back seat rest, and cut a hole in the metal to get to the emergency trunk release to open it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2008 528i/E320
    mhmhatz
    You made a good point. I got a trickle charger so that I can charge frequently. What about the fact that you have to register battery every time you change and dealers charge up to $600 for both battery and registering.
    Last edited by Raymondlee177; 02-14-2017 at 03:57 PM.