Thread: Will a low charge battery cause it to stall out on the highway?

My Cars
    '93 325iS

Will a low charge battery cause it to stall out on the highway?

Good day folks,

I wanted to ask if a "Low Battery Charge" can cause an E90 335d to stall on the highway? How likely is that the case? If it starts, wouldn't the alternator keep the car going until destination?

Thanks for the input in advance.

---------------------------------------------------
    FS: OEM 6-Disc CD Changer

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yes, low voltage in the car's electrical system can cause your car to stall at any speed. Why? The fuel pump is electrical, and is designed to operate at ~12VDC. Now, the pump will operate at lower voiltages but once the car's system voltage drops below ~10VDC the pump can't maintain the proper fuel pressure.

My Cars
    '93 325iS
    Thank you for that!

As for my follow up question: If it starts, wouldn't the alternator keep the car going until destination?

So the alternator should keep the car above the ~10 VDC? Otherwise this may indicate a faulty charging system?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    FS: OEM 6-Disc CD Changer

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    If your alternator is functioning properly, the car should run at least passably. If the car dies on the highway, your alternator is not working properly.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one?
    Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    It's the alternator, not charging the batt making it low... U jump it or charge it again and u get a few miles and dies again right? Alternator...

FCPEuro.com

Partsgeek.com

Bavauto.com

Good luck!

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by svginferno View Post
    Thank you for that! As for my follow up question: If it starts, wouldn't the alternator keep the car going until destination? So the alternator should keep the car above the ~10 VDC? Otherwise this may indicate a faulty charging system?
    the alt is the charging system so yes, 10v is not sufficient to charge and your alternator is dead for sure

My Cars
    Before you spend any money throwing parts at it, it'd be advisable to have the entire system properly tested and diagnosed (not by the parts monkey at autozone, but by a competent BMW mechanic that can perform a real diagnostic test, including the energy diagnosis).
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    Before you spend any money throwing parts at it, it'd be advisable to have the entire system properly tested and diagnosed (not by the parts monkey at autozone, but by a competent BMW mechanic that can perform a real diagnostic test, including the energy diagnosis).
    Do new cars have some sort of relays or something which could cause these symptoms? I find it unlikely that it would be so specialized as to require someone other than a "parts monkey" with a scan tool to find. If that is the case, I'm even happier with my E30.

My Cars
    A parts monkey with a scan tool can't perform the energy diagnosis test plan. This test plan can give you the current state of battery charge, as well as the last 5 days, the startability limit, the number of short trips or lengthy trips, is there a battery draw, was the vehicle woken up, etc, etc.

It's more complicated than you think.

To answer your question, I don't think the battery or alternator is the problem with your vehicle. But I could never know for sure from across the internet.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Guess if you must, but I would have a diagnostic scan performed if I was stumped as to the cause.
    If this was my vehicle, I would perform a scan for codes, along with removing battery and hooking it up to a battery charger for a slow overnight charge.
    In the morning take your battery to the so called "parts monkey" at AutoZone and have them take a voltage reading, along with performing a battery load test.
    If it tests out fine, then alternator may be suspect. If battery fails-replace. Or you can go the more complicated, dealer diagnostic route, if budget and expense hold no sway in your decisions.

323i E30 is online now ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I've had my E30 stall because of a dead alternator during driving.
    I had the battery light lighting up on the dash though. All electrics went dimmer and dimmer, and the rev range got smaller and smaller. I almost made it to my destination, but had to tow it the last mile.. :p
    Not familiar with the E90, but I assume that the symptoms would be similar.
    I've driven various cars with dead batteries but good alternators btw: no problems while driving.

Reading the codes is usually a good first step.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1987 325iS...edan
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    energy diagnosis test plan. This test plan can give you the current state of battery charge, as well as the last 5 days, the startability limit, the number of short trips or lengthy trips, is there a battery draw, was the vehicle woken up, etc, etc.

Occam's Razor at work again, I see.

My Cars
    BMW 325is 1995
    I have MAJOR problem and I'm thinking its from the alternator. Was driving to gas station then my Low Beams went out but brights worked then I parked. got back in the car and started driving then randomly the car stalled and engine was getting bogged down and decreasing rpms then it just stopped. Tried to start it again didn't start right away, so I waited 10 min then it started again then a mile down the road it did the same thing. thought it ran out of gas so I went to gas station with a gas can, put gas in the car then drove it another mile home. So I thought it just ran out of gas but I tried starting it the next day and wouldn't start. There was a starter sound but didn't turn on. Tried an hour later then there was no starter sound but lights in the car turned on but no headlights. Don't know if its bad grounds or Alternator or battery. Any Thoughts??

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Sverige, you should have started your own thread, instead of hijacking svginferno.
    If you have read this entire thread, you will see that post #10 applies to you also.

My Cars
    BMW 325is 1995
    New to this so I don't know how to start my own thread

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Ok, the + post new thread icon is located near top left of forum page.

My Cars
    BMW 325is 1995
    Thank you

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Great, and Welcome to the forums! Do as I suggested in post#10, in addition to checking condition of battery cables and grounds.
    Don't forget to scan for codes, they can help point to a diagnosis, and prevent guessing. If you have a voltmeter, take before&after voltage readings.
    Post back with results after you've performed charge and tests.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    A multimeter and a battery charger goes a long way...