Thread: Weird Fuel Pump/Filter issues...

My Cars
    750 I 1990

Weird Fuel Pump/Filter issues...

Ok,I got stranded two weeks ago with the flexible fuel hose inside of the tank that bursted as in the pictures....today once again with new fuel pump assembly...I'm thinking that like 3 weeks ago I changed my fuel filter...is that possible that the cause is the new filter? I'm getting kind of frustrated...thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW
    Not sure how the fuel filter would do that.

Maybe you have something floating in your tank that is clogging the hoses, but falls back out when the pump is not pulling fuel through. SABOTAGE.

My Cars
    750 I 1990
    Quote Originally Posted by WBAD530i View Post
    Not sure how the fuel filter would do that.

Maybe you have something floating in your tank that is clogging the hoses, but falls back out when the pump is not pulling fuel through. SABOTAGE.
    That's possible...could that be a bad fuel pressure regulator attached to the filter ?

My Cars
    750 I 1990
    Quote Originally Posted by peppexcursion07 View Post
    That's possible...could that be a bad fuel pressure regulator attached to the filter ?

Issue solved,it was caused by an aftermarket non-specified fuel pump assembly I bought it online....pressure was way too high as you can see bursting hoses and throwing codes,I replaced the pump with a Pierburg.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yeah although the regulator should take care of that. Tons of people throw big pumps into cars without an issue because the FPR is by design engineered to deal with that. You can overpower the FPR but it takes a big ass performance pump usually, not something like that little guy you have in your pix.

Are you sure you didn't swap the hoses on the filter/FPR assembly by mistake? Pretty easy to do that.

Not sure about these cars, but I know there are setups where a flipped hose situation basically sends rail pressure through the roof. If that's the case the new pump would do similar until the hoses were fixed and the FPR was working properly again.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    750 I 1990
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Yeah although the regulator should take care of that. Tons of people throw big pumps into cars without an issue because the FPR is by design engineered to deal with that. You can overpower the FPR but it takes a big ass performance pump usually, not something like that little guy you have in your pix.

Are you sure you didn't swap the hoses on the filter/FPR assembly by mistake? Pretty easy to do that.

Not sure about these cars, but I know there are setups where a flipped hose situation basically sends rail pressure through the roof. If that's the case the new pump would do similar until the hoses were fixed and the FPR was working properly again.
    Yeah that what I though as well...everything is possible hehe...