Thread: E36 fk streetline X coilover question

My Cars
    94 325i, 90 Mazda miata

E36 fk streetline X coilover question

Hi all. I bought some fk streetline coils from a member of the forum and I do not see how they will work. I have a 94 325i sedan and when I took my front strut off today at work and compared the old strut with the new coilover, they were not even close in size. The coilover was about 4 inches shorter than the strut that came off. Am I missing something? If i installed it like that, the car would be sitting on the ground, we just couldn't see how that would work. The strut of the coilover was fully expanded and it was put together properly, it just seems way too small. Any experience with this?

I also didnt know how the stock upper mount would fit on the fk coilover (i did not try it yet but just looking at it we couldn't tell)

These are what I got from the guy:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-fk-parts...mzbm8001-x~fk/

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    These coil overs require a strut bearing, so you'll gain height there; add a vorschlag camber plate and you will get another inch. At full height in these coils you probably gain a 2" drop without lowering anything. I wouldn't expect these to last longer than 25k miles fyi.

My Cars
    94 325i, 90 Mazda miata
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyropete82 View Post
    These coil overs require a strut bearing, so you'll gain height there; add a vorschlag camber plate and you will get another inch. At full height in these coils you probably gain a 2" drop without lowering anything. I wouldn't expect these to last longer than 25k miles fyi.
    Can I use the stock upper mount?

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Yes ofc, but if they have 100k+ miles, replace them. You should still get camber plates to clear the outer fender at full lower. You might need spaces too if you go too low to increase the hub offset. All of this to dodge rub.

Let me clarify my previous post. If you go to a stock bearing, you will have no adjustment outside of tie rods.

If you go with a camber plate you eliminate the bearing, they are a "one piece system" and you'll have adjustment outside of tie rods
    Last edited by Pyropete82; 01-12-2017 at 06:26 PM.