Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 525i Sport Wagon Cost Benefit Analysis?

My Cars
    '11 328xiT, '01 525iT
    I agree with all the previous statements, biggest one being learn to turn a wrench on these cars and save yourself some spending money. These e39s are "relatively" easy to work on as compared to the later cars. I've also done a cost analysis on the cars I've owned and it comes down to 2 things; you either pay for repairs or you pay for new car payments. I choose to do repairs myself. This wagon does everything I need and it drives and looks great. I could get a new SUV, but then I'd lose the soul of the car driving experience.

If you are simply looking for a cheap reliable appliance to get you from A to B, then time to turn in the BMW for a Honda or Toyota...
    Rodney
    '12 128 convertible
    '11 328ix touring, wife's ride
    www.thscc.com

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    Totally agree! I'll be attempting to tackle most of the work with a little help from the forum and some youtube.

Love the car and how practical it is along with the amazing drive.

Thanks! - Kevin

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Ahoy! Round II.

Looks like you've got the hang of doing repairs yourself. If you need any help you can even let me know too. I live about 15-20 min away from BPC and from Reshift's place.

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    Oh, awesome! I'll PM ya with my contact info. Big day today - Tackled the camshaft position sensor, O2 sensors, fuel tank vent valve, intake boot and drivers side window regulator .
    Next is: Valve cover, plugs, VANOS rebuild (?) , drive belts/pulley/tensioner. Biggest area of concern is VANOS rebuild....
    Spoke with Redshift the other day - can't wait to see his wagons

Chat soon!

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Ahoy! Round II.

Looks like you've got the hang of doing repairs yourself. If you need any help you can even let me know too. I live about 15-20 min away from BPC and from Reshift's place.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Cackallacky View Post
    Oh, awesome! I'll PM ya with my contact info. Big day today - Tackled the camshaft position sensor, O2 sensors, fuel tank vent valve, intake boot and drivers side window regulator .
    Next is: Valve cover, plugs, VANOS rebuild (?) , drive belts/pulley/tensioner. Biggest area of concern is VANOS rebuild....
    Spoke with Redshift the other day - can't wait to see his wagons

Chat soon!
    Dude, I love that you took our advice and just jumped right in. You're well on your way to becoming an e39 DIY junkie like most of us in here .

VANOS rebuild on your engine is downright easy. Just follow the Beisan DIY and you'll be fine. None of it requires timing stuff, so it's the easiest one to do. Believe it or not, Raj (of Beisan Systems) is also a Raleigh local, so if you need help or have questions, I'm sure he might be willing to assist if you ask nicely. You can email him from the website I think. A few of us know him personally and he's a really cool guy that knows engineering stuff I can only dream of knowing.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    95 M5, Euro S50 E30
    There is passion here in this thread. Stay after it OP. If you can watch and learn from things as simple as youtube you will have a very, very well [and quite reasonable in $$ terms as well] maintained BMW in your driveway.

BTW - I used to own an E46 and if you don't find a DIY for the E39 check out the E46 sites. You will find that most items are very similar - M52 work, suspension work, brakes, window regulators and interior work. Those models are quite similar.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
    There is passion here in this thread. Stay after it OP. If you can watch and learn from things as simple as youtube you will have a very, very well [and quite reasonable in $$ terms as well] maintained BMW in your driveway.

BTW - I used to own an E46 and if you don't find a DIY for the E39 check out the E46 sites. You will find that most items are very similar - M52 work, suspension work, brakes, window regulators and interior work. Those models are quite similar.
    He has M54, but what you say is true. E46 325i and 330i are very similar.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    Thanks Paul!
    Yes, you tube is also your friend with these relatively easy repairs!! Car is downright accessible. Saw the Vanos thread by Beisan, very thorough.. Looks like replacing washers on a faucet stem! Sounds like a smart thing to deal with, before it deals with you
    I'll be in touch - keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers, Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Dude, I love that you took our advice and just jumped right in. You're well on your way to becoming an e39 DIY junkie like most of us in here .

VANOS rebuild on your engine is downright easy. Just follow the Beisan DIY and you'll be fine. None of it requires timing stuff, so it's the easiest one to do. Believe it or not, Raj (of Beisan Systems) is also a Raleigh local, so if you need help or have questions, I'm sure he might be willing to assist if you ask nicely. You can email him from the website I think. A few of us know him personally and he's a really cool guy that knows engineering stuff I can only dream of knowing.
    - - - Updated - - -

Indeed, GR - thanks for the line. Seems all you need to do is research this forum/Youtube and you can likely cover most reasonable repairs. I'm sorry I didn't jump in on my own repairs earlier! I really love my e39it - what a difference since I did the work today! Think the camshaft sensor was the big winner - soo smooooth now.
    Stoked to be in this forum and to continue to learn from all that have paved the way for laymen like myself!!

Cheers! - Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post

My Cars
    '00 540iT
    Good work. You might inspire me to do my VANOS at some point. I have a set of Bentley manuals if you ever need to borrow them.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Impressive with what you knocked out so far.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Frankly speaking I had never ever refreshed my Vanos when I still had my 530i all the way to 236k mi. I asked around if the refresh made any real significant improvement in engine performance and I got mixed reviews. Some said no while some said only a little. In the end, I decided to just keep on racking up miles with all original seals. Maybe I should have done it long time ago but oh well. I don't have that car anymore.

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    Way cool, thanks K!
    Appreciate the offer for the manuals - I was considering getting them, but will hold off till my repairs are wrapped up ($$)
    I know - sounds counter intuitive, but think I can handle the rest with some forum and youtube research

Cheers!! - Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KRUZNBY View Post
    Good work. You might inspire me to do my VANOS at some point. I have a set of Bentley manuals if you ever need to borrow them.
    - - - Updated - - -

Hey JP -

Many thanks - all went smooth as silk. Next up, Valve cover/gaskets, Vanos Likely, pulleys and belts. Then time to just enjoy the car for a bit!

Best, Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    Impressive with what you knocked out so far.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Don't worry about the manuals. I bought a brand new set when I bought my first E39 and I hardly ever used it. It's so much more convenient to just Google something rather than looking through an index and flipping through hundreds of pages.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3
    I bought my 02 sensors from ECS tuning, bosch brand. Worked perfectly until my tranny gave up on it. But good job getting into DIY-Ing
    Last edited by Ajcanadian; 01-17-2017 at 06:18 PM.

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    Saw you are already done but I would have recommended you buy the Fancy O2 socket. I have used mine on a Ford, Dodge and a Scion. Makes it so much easier

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    Hey RJ -

Oh yes, I purchased it and worth every penny!!

Quote Originally Posted by rjjablo View Post
    Saw you are already done but I would have recommended you buy the Fancy O2 socket. I have used mine on a Ford, Dodge and a Scion. Makes it so much easier
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks - yes, all went real smooth. Bosch O2 , so far, so good!

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    Hey Paul,

I'll be in CLT this coming Thursday. Would you be avail to get together to load the Euro tune by chance?

Cheers! Kevin

Secondary air pump can be coded out easily by loading the Euro tune on the engine computer. Kevin, I can help you out with that next time you're in Charlotte.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Hey Paul,

I'll be in CLT this coming Thursday. Would you be avail to get together to load the Euro tune by chance?

Cheers! Kevin
    Sure, what time do you want to stop by?

-Paul

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    I can be there at around 11:30am or on my way back to Raleigh around 6ish?
    What's best for you?

Sure, what time do you want to stop by?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I can be there at around 11:30am or on my way back to Raleigh around 6ish?
    What's best for you?
    Morning would be better. I have a prior engagement in the evening. 11:30 should be fine.

-Paul

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    Awesome, thanks Paul! PM me your address when you have a chance.

Morning would be better. I have a prior engagement in the evening. 11:30 should be fine.

My Cars
    528iT
    Wow you really jumped in head first with this thing. Good luck with it! Nice to see another touring saved from the graveyard.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport

2001 525i Sport Wagon Cost Benefit Analysis?

It's funny. Every time I see this I think -- if you love it why over analyze it?
    I got an '02 from a one owner that did not really maintain well for 70k miles. Overall not bad but I'm catching it up on all fixes and deferred maintenance, plus I'm making it my own! As much as I'd rather not spend extra cash, I do appreciate how awesome and comfy these cares are and the last of true BMW craftsmanship. You either like / love it or you don't. I do and willing to invest to keep it going vs any new car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dmo84556; 01-25-2017 at 11:29 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Cackallacky and KRUZNBY, you should come and hangout this weekend at Redshift's place. There's a little wrenchfest happening, so it would nice to meet you Raleigh guys.

My Cars
    2001 525it Sport Wagon
    Oh man, I'd love to, but have prior commitment riding my trials motorcycle down in Sanford. Keep me in the loop on other opportunities to get together!!

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Cackallacky and KRUZNBY, you should come and hangout this weekend at Redshift's place. There's a little wrenchfest happening, so it would nice to meet you Raleigh guys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast