Thread: Wheel wobble/slip/vibration when making sharp turns. Transfer case?

My Cars
    X3

Wheel wobble/slip/vibration when making sharp turns. Transfer case?

I recently noticed a wheel whobble or vibration, its almost like the wheels are hesitant or there is something stuck in them, while making sharp turns. The parking lot in my building has a 007 style circular climb up for 3 floors and its very noticeable in it or when I make sharp turns at low speed.

I read the posts and I'm thinking it could be the axle or transfer case. Although I have driven cars with a bad axle and they were more clunky feeling and the issue was easily felt at every turn. This is a bit unique.

A few months ago I had to replace the rear tire with a new one. When I bought the car (used), they last owner had just put on new rear tires. I drove it for a year like that, then 3 months ago I had to replace one of the rear tires which had had inner sidewall excessive wear. I put a new one on and have been driving like that since. The new tire was the same brand/tread as the other four. The tire mechanic said it's ok since the other one was newer as well.

Now after reading the threads it sounds like that is not a good idea. Since, I did not know its best to replace all four tires given the issues with the transfer case.

Do you guys think I could've damaged the transfer case? If so would I have to replace it or could it be repaired? I've read some posts where it says you can change the transfer case oil to fix such issues?

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

Its a 2011 X3 with 145k kms or 90k miles.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    At 90k miles I would replace all fluids> transmission, transfer case, rear differential. You do perform recommended engine oil changes, and other regularly scheduled maintenance, correct? I would also do a wheel alignment check, as bad camber settings cause excessive inner tire wear. You should be fine with the single tire replacement, as long as no excessive difference in tire wear.

My Cars
    X3
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    At 90k miles I would replace all fluids> transmission, transfer case, rear differential. You do perform recommended engine oil changes, and other regularly scheduled maintenance, correct? I would also do a wheel alignment check, as bad camber settings cause excessive inner tire wear. You should be fine with the single tire replacement, as long as no excessive difference in tire wear.
    Yes, the car is under a service package with the dealer (it's out of warranty), the service package covers oil/brake changes/spark plugs n filters. I have not ever taken it to any one else other than the dealer (except for the tire purchase). Transmission/transfer case/rear diff fluids have not been changed to my knowledge.

Thank you for the tip on wheel alignment check, I'll take it to an indy in my area for a check up. It's the transfer case nightmare that's worrying me!! I've read it costs major $$!

I've also read that the transmission fluid is for life on these cars? Is it refillable?

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Nothing is for life even if BMW seems to think so.
    Yes they can be drained, pan dropped, fluid and filter changed.
    New filter, new pan gasket, new fluid.
    At the very least check condition, color, fluid levels of all 3(trans,diff,case)

My Cars
    X3
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Nothing is for life even if BMW seems to think so.
    Yes they can be drained, pan dropped, fluid and filter changed.
    New filter, new pan gasket, new fluid.
    At the very least check condition, color, fluid levels of all 3(trans,diff,case)

Thanks, I'll ask my indy to check on them and possibly have em changed