Thread: My week in review, and a thank you to you all

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0

My week in review, and a thank you to you all

I am a new member here (my 1st post) and owe this site a thank you,, I am the "now" proud owner again of a 2004 Z4 3.0 auto that has done a measly 130k in distance, but up until a week ago, gave me no problems bar a replacement water pump 8 months ago, It started with the common drama of trying to restart after a short journey, and nothing, meaning no power to starter, I replaced the original battery with New,, nothing,, so searching common faults I found this forum and there was a step by step diagnosis with pics showing Ignition Switch drama,, replaced and we have drive again,,, but alas it lasted 2 days and starter motor failed,, I had the starter rebuilt, it was faster this way and also cheaper seeing I have a few friends in this area that could build it in a day,, and all was well, I booked it in for a full "review" service with my not so local BMW dealership and they gave me a 4 day wait,, I didn't have to wait that long, The following day I took it to work, a 75 km journey, I made it roughly 60 k and all telltales on the dash came on,, engine went into slow mo drive and coasted approx 1-2 k's before it came to a standstill,, stranded again The NEW battery was totally drained, I had nothing , not even interior lights,, DAMN alternator was my first thought and it proved true,, so after a tow truck home, contacting my "friend" again,, rebuild it was the order,, and I can claim it has done 4 further trips hassle free,, the jinx is over,,, I have used this site in more ways than one recently,,, drive belt configuration, T bolts/tools,, step by step on fuses,, finding stuff in my car that even the dealership put me on hold for? (hahaha),, and a host of other tidbits, I cannot honestly complain on the car,, it sat stagnant for 4 years in the shed until I pulled it out 12 months ago, so sitting this long i was expecting some problems ,, hopefully the 4 items ,, battery/ignition switch/starter/alternator are it,, otherwise its back to searching here to assist in getting it going again,,, Stay Safe all ,, Choppa

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Too many commas, not enough periods or paragraphs. I gave up on the 2nd line.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2017 BMW M4
    Welcome

I just went through a similar journey, so I understand your pain.

Later, Steve
    2017 BMW M4 Comp
    2011 BMW Z4 35i 6sp
    2001 Porsche 911 Turbo 6spd
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i 6spd
    2001 BMW M3 6spd
    2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

My Cars
    2007 BMW Z4 3.0si
    Sorry Dude, unreadable just on principle.

My Cars
    2007 Z4C, 2012 Tacoma
    tl;dr

My Cars
    2006 Z4
    Sitting for four years is not ideal. Constantly look for signs of leaking fluids everywhere. Bushings and seals don't like not being lubricated and they will fail. Just stay on top of it and you will be ok. Also, I would change ALL fluids NOW. My 06 only had 50K and I had no clue what had been done or not done so I changed my fluids for a fresh start. Keep posting. I can read em. And, Congratulations on your Z and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Glad everything worked out for you! Merry Christmas and ignore the haters. Apparently being a decent human being is too hard for people.
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Stay on top of things and you'll be fine. May your reawakened toy take you on a happy journey!

Merry Christmas!!