Thread: New headlights

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible

New headlights

I was getting so tired of the old hazed-over headlights, bought some new euro spec glass lensed headlights with angel-eyes.

- Ken -

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    Looks good! Care to share the brand, cost, and where you bought 'em? I'm tired of buffing-out the haze on my orig plastic lenses, too.

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    I got them on ebay. They were $210. You can get them for like $160 w/o angel eyes. You have to buy your own bulbs, so that adds to the expense. Installation isn't bad. I am not sure how easy it is to get the bulbs out to change them once installed, there isn't much clearance behind them to open the doors to get the bulbs out. But that is a problem for another day. Worst case is you would have to pop them out again which isn't too hard. And the wiring attaching to the back is a little flukey, but works. The wiring to the car is easy, plugs right in to the existing connectors, plus one wire attached to the marker light wire (I guess that is for the angel eyes). I love them so far. Here is the description:

92-99 BMW E36 3-Series ZKW Type Euro Projector Glass Headlights w/ Thinline CCFL Angel Eyes
    Condition: NEW Manufacturer: HELIX Automotive / Genuine DEPO
    Special Notes: These headlights' unique ellipsoid lens design and bulb technology provide far superior lighting capabilities than the stock U.S. spec headlights. They produce more light overall than the 9006 bulb-based U.S. headlights since they use a higher wattage H1 bulb, and because the light is more effectively projected onto the road (versus aimlessly scattered around as with the U.S. headlights), you get light where you NEED it most: further out and on the road signs you need to see.

Product Description:
    •Brand new HELIX Automotive / Genuine DEPO ZKW Type Projector Headlights w/ Thinline CCFL Angel Eyes!
    •Type: ZKW Type Projector Headlights w/ Thinline CCFL Angel Eyes
    •Color: Black Housing / Clear Lens
    •Lens: Glass
    •Bulbs Included: No
    •Bulb Specifications: H1 High, H1 Low, T10 City
    •Retails at over 499.99, get it now for less!
    •Pre-installed HELIX Thinline Series CCFL Hyper White Angel Eyes!
    •Replace those weak, dull, pitted US-Spec headlights with these!
    •Perfect update for older E36s and CCFL upgrades.
    •Includes Plug & Play adapters!
    •Adjustable projector for right hand and left hand drive!
    •This is for one pair (1 left & 1 right).
    Last edited by 110reef; 12-08-2016 at 07:12 PM.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Get some fog lights.

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    Get some fog lights.
    Ha! I ordered some when I bought the headlights. They delivered them to someone else. I notified the sender that I never received them, and after some going back and forth ebay closed my case without me ever receiving them or without a refund. They said there was tracking showing they were delivered. I raised a stink and eventually ebay refunded my money. But I never went back and re-ordered the lights. But it is on my to-do list. (Not that I ever use the foglights, but they do look crappy all broken up.)

They seem very prone to getting broken, maybe placed where they are. I have replaced them several times, but they break again.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    Thanks for the info on the headlights!

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    can i show mine off

My Cars
    '98 328i convertible
    Nice!

It is amazing what a tremendous difference it makes to the looks of the car.
    - Ken -

My Cars
    1998 M3, 2013 X5
    Agreed, updating the headlights make a huge difference.

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    Looks good!

I wish U.S. spec cars didn't come with plastic headlights.

A pair of new headlights definitely make a huge difference.

Jon
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    Just wondering if there is any problems with switching to these? You are going from the 9600 bulbs to h1's. The H1's are a higher current draw. Do they require any modifications to the existing system? I saw these come with the correct plugs to do the conversion but is that all they need?

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Usually, people do a HID kit with rebased h1 bulbs. It would be best to modify the cutoff shield if going this route.
    If you maintain halogen bulbs, then yes it's plug and play. You won't have any issues

My Cars
    1998 328is
    just gonna buy the headlights without the halos since ill mount the halos on my own
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)