Thread: New 135i

My Cars
    Notta

New 135i

IV been following this forum for awhile now pretty much since I fell in love with the 1 series lol. IV read alot of threads but seem to find alot of controversy over the topic. I am looking for something sporty and fun but also reliable as a daily. I was thinking 2008-2010 135i Mt with jb4, fmic, dp, charge pipe, intake, exhaust, bov. I am looking for input from current or previous owners as to how this or similar setups worked for you and of it is reliable as a daily driver without having to put alot of extra dollars into it. Thank you in advance

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    The 135i is an incredible daily (I have a 2008) - buy it without any reservations. Just make sure to get a proper PPI before buying from a reputable BMW mechanic. Electrical issues are the only big concern, as BMWs can sometimes be spotty with that system. Gas mileage is also something to think about, what is your trip like? Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions on it. Best of luck!

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    Notta
    Thank you for your input, are their any specific models or vins or signs to look for when it comes to the electrical or is it hit and miss. What kind of problems occur? And as for the gas milage that wouldn't be much of an issue.

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Don't own one, but have researched a little bit so I can state some of the findings about them you are free to find on google searches but basically stick to 2011+ models to dodge the software issues found in the FRM Module and hpfp. The oil filter housing, pan gaskets are things to look for the obvious leaks. Injectors and coils are unfortunately known to fail in all e9x versions. Depending on like peace and service records assume the electrical water pump and inline thermostat will need to be replaced. Check your state smog requirement before assuming the injen intake will pass visual (since it's not CARB approved). The mods you listed will definitely add a good portion of power, 70-100hp depending on fuel. Make you post it if you buy, not a whole lot of 1 series owners here. Lastly check the intake for oil buildup on the intake valves, if it's bad, you'll want some walnut blasting to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Notta
    From what I've read the n54 engine seems to be a little bit better (the block itself not fueling or control) then the n55 especially once you start modding so having to replace frm and hpfp would be an alright trade off I would think? and I was hoping I would be able to find one with coils and injectors already replaced as that is a common problem. And I don't need to worry bout emissions where I live so I'm lucky their! Thanks

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Yeah, I'm searching for a 2012 with a little more than 40k miles just to make sure the hpfp and injector issues have already triggered. But, again the intake sludge from the blow by may require a walnut blast. I know round here is $700+ to do it.

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerboy4422 View Post
    Thank you for your input, are their any specific models or vins or signs to look for when it comes to the electrical or is it hit and miss. What kind of problems occur? And as for the gas milaege that wouldn't be much of an issue.
    The electrical issues that I've had with mine haven't been major; mostly fuses on the front passenger seat which led to a 'Restraint System Malfunction' code being thrown. Fuses were replaced and module as well (car was still under warranty - so I was lucky in that sense) - major issue happened with the oil cooler; the early 1 series may have faulty ones. If you're going to get a pre 2011, see if you can find one with a 135is oil cooler or upgrade to that one. Let me know if you have any other questions and best of luck! Have a great Thanksgiving man.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    z3
    I think the vastly cheaper cost of the N54 will easily offset any HPFP concerns, especially given how old most the N54's are by now - you'd expect them to have the HPFP (and other quirks) replaced by now... N54 is also preferred in the modding community.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Notta
    Thank you for the input everyone, can't wait till the spring now. I am 100% set on n54 135i. Can't wait to see what kind of beast I can build.