Thread: What to buy? X3? X5?

My Cars
    X3? X5?

What to buy? X3? X5?

I'm new to the forum and new to BMW's as well. Currently drive an old Suburban and no longer need the space or poor gas mileage. But don't have a lot of $ to spend, currently looking at older X3's and X5's. Trying to stay under $10K, which means 2006-2008 models, 80-110K miles. I am definitely not very familiar with BMW's, but I like how they drive and feel more comfortable buying an older car of a (presumed) higher quality.

My questions:
    1. X5 gas mileage doesn't look great. Are the 15/20 mpg numbers I see accurate?
    2. Do these age vehicles all have iPod audio input?
    3. A couple I have seen have navigation, which I don't really care about but a nice-to-have is to pair my iPhone for hands-free calling. Will all X3's and X5's in the 2006-2008 range be able to pair a phone?
    4. The X5's have the fold down lift gate feature which is mildly interesting, but interior space doesn't seem hugely different from X3. Am I wrong about that?
    5. Anything I should know about reliability of X3 vs X5, or anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for your help!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Welcome to the forum! Being a current and past BMW owner, I can assure you that you'll love the feel and drive of them. In my experience, since you're looking at the older models, the X5 is a much better, overall platform than the X3. You'll definitely be able to find a hands-free set up in both models, as well as an iPod adapter (they don't always come stock; but you're able to make it work). The older X3s had issues with the transmission from what I remember reading and were not considered to be great cars until their redesign in 2011. The x5 is was better made, but being a German car, still is a bit temperamental. As long as you have a proper inspection done before purchasing and adequately service them; it should be a good investment. Are you going to be able to work on them yourself? If so, this can save you serious $$ - just my opinion. Let us know what you decide to go with.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Don't by a v8

My Cars
    '99 Z3 Coupe, 2016 R3
    We just replaced our 2wd Highlander with an '07 X3 3.0si, what an awesome car, can handle high speed freeway traffic as well as steep dirt roads, stream crossings and the like. It has an aux jack for the audio and there are buttons on the steering wheel to control a phone but I haven't figured all that out yet. It took a while to find a car without the /M package, rocks don't play nice with low profile tires. I got an '07 mostly because of the 40 more HP in the N54 engine even though it meant being stuck with tire pressure monitors. The Steptronic trans is exceptional, I've never had a better automatic, manual, sport mode really rocks for spirited driving or off pavement, the drive mode is a little floaty, but I'm getting used to it. Very quiet, monster moonroof, and for my old ears, a great stereo.

My Cars
    E30, E36, E36, E39, E83
    I have an 06 x3. It's been a great ride. Sporty and quick. It has Bluetooth built in, but no iPod feature.

I just turned 118,000 and working through a flood of annoying issues with brakes and emission control systems. If you are looking at this vintage, keep that in mind.

This is my 4th BMW. If you are handy with tools and willing to learn, you can save a lot of money and gain some rewarding experience. Once you learn to wrench on 1 BMW, the learning curve is short on your next one.

If you are considering an X5, dare I say take a look at the Audi Q7? Way better platform and more storage, however, that's considering layer models.

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    if the 2006 model is already in your interest range then do not exclude a 2004 or 2005 low mileage unit. The 2004 - 2006 models have the M54 engine (either the 2.5i or the 3.0i) which are very reliable and mostly trouble-free except for various oil leak issues which are all fixable.

My 2004 is comfortable for city and for long distance highway drives, and even the 2.5i has lots of power (for an old guy like me)

no Navigation in mine but I use my old TomTom GPS which also serves as a bluetooth unit for hands-free calling on my phone

no aux sound input on the stock sound deck and I have not hooked up a aux input to the sound system (I've seen write-ups for this) but I have run my mp3 sound output to a FM sender in the cigar lighter and the sound can be picked up by the radio.

I have good winter tires on a separate set of X3 wheels.. so I am all set for the pending snow falls this winter. This is an awesome vehicle to manoeuver through the snow drifts

if comparing to the X5, that will be a heavier vehicle, and does not have any more interior space than the X3
    Last edited by my1stE30; 11-13-2016 at 05:59 PM.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    F31 MSport
    I have both E83 X3 and E53 X5 (X3 will be gone soon). But here's my take:

E83 X3 (2004-2010)
    - Handles very well
    - Has been very reliable over the past few years
    - Stay on top of routine maintenance (i.e., oil services, filters, etc)
    - Known issues (panoramic sunroof, transfer case) - oil service on the transfer case will do wonders.
    - I suggest the M54 engine (2004-2006) but that's because I am used to that engine, very easy to work on.
    - MSport is a nice touch, includes upgraded suspension, steering wheel, fender flares, wheels, etc
    - X3 does come in manual if that's your thing.
    - Trunk/Cargo space is a bit limited. It'll fit 3-4 golf bags stacked on top of eachother
    - Rear seats are fairly nice as well, I've had no issues with the rear comfort and haven't heard any bad reviews from passengers either.

E53 X5 (2001-2006)

- Also handles well
    - Depends which trim package you get - 3.0i (I6), 4.6iS (V8), 4.8iS (V8). 3.0i is definitely easier to work on engine-wise. Again the M54 is very reliable. Once you get to the V8's the M62 is a different beast. A lot more power, more torque, more maintenance in my opinion. I have the 4.6iS and love it so far.
    - Trunk/Cargo space is a bit larger than the X3
    - Rear passenger seats have more room (but that's a given), rear heated seats are a nice touch (I don't think the X3 offered that)
    - Panoramic sunroof issues for Model year 2004-2006.
    - Air ride suspension can become an issue if you have those options.
    - Maintenance costs on the 3.0i are probably similar to the X3, again once you get into V8s the maintenance cost is probably more.

I am definitely leaving a lot of stuff out, but let me know if you have any additional questions.

Remember a cheap bmw is an expensive bmw...
    2016 328ix | Wagon | M-Sport | Alpine White | Black | iND | 513M | AC Schnizter | MPerformance |
    2005 330CiC | Sparkling Graphite | Black | 6MT | ZHP
    2004///M3 | Individual Sterling Gray | Imola Red | 6MT | Eisenmann | Style 163M | SOLD
    2011 X5 35d | Black Sapphire | Nevada Brown Cinnamon | Sports Package |
    Totaled
    2009///M3
    | Interlagos Blue | Pallidum Silver | DINAN | MPerformance | DCT | SOLD
    2002///M3 | Steel Gray Metallic | Imola Red | 6MT | Convertible| SOLD
    2006 X5 4.8iS | LeMans Blue Metallic | Creme Beige | SOLD
    2006 ///M3 | Silver Gray | Black | Competition Package (ZCP) | 6MT | SOLD
    2000 ///M5 | Oxford Green Metallic II | Caramel Nappa Leather | BMW Individual Black Birch Trim | SOLD
    2003 X5 4.6iS | Black Saphhire Metallic | Black Sport | SOLD
    2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Gray | Terracotta | SOLD

My Cars
    1988 325is 2004 X5
    I have both as well (both M54 engines), they are however much more different than I expected. The X5 is more truck like and comfortable (although handles very well) while the X3 feels much more like a sports car. The engine and transmissions are the same, but the X3 transfer case is a fair bit smaller, making it a potential weak spot.

My Cars
    X3? X5?
    All-

Thanks for the input. I lost this forum and just found it again. I wound up buying a 2005 4.4 X5 with about 112K on it. Appears to be in pristine shape, Carfax says it was in the south most of it's life. I love the thing - glad I went with X5, need a little more space than the X3. I also got an Aux input cable and installed it so I now have an input jack near the ashtray - works great and was easy to install. And it has the bluetooth so phone is all synched up which is nice.

I have had 2 problems so far. One was a dead battery, died in the cold snap here in the Northeast. No biggie, I had no idea how old the existing one was and it was easy to change out. Now, I had one time where it would not start. Ran fine, came home about an hour, then had to go back out and it wouldn't start. Sounded like it was about to fire but wouldn't. That was last night. This morning I tried and vroom, fires up no problem. I was thinking fuel pump or spark or fuel pump relay. I even bought a relay and was going to change it out this morning since it's only $19 but it started so now I'm wondering what the heck the problem was/is. Perhaps Fuel pump starting to go?
    Last edited by DDTOJ; 12-24-2016 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    X3? X5?
    All-

Thanks for the input. I lost this forum and just found it again. I wound up buying a 2005 4.4 X5 with about 112K on it. Appears to be in pristine shape, Carfax says it was in the south most of it's life. I love the thing - glad I went with X5, need a little more space than the X3. I also got an Aux input cable and installed it so I now have an input jack near the ashtray - works great and was easy to install. And it has the bluetooth so phone is all synched up which is nice.

I have had 2 problems so far. One was a dead battery, died in the cold snap here in the Northeast. No biggie, I had no idea how old the existing one was and it was easy to change out. Now, I had one time where it would not start. Ran fine, came home about an hour, then had to go back out and it wouldn't start. Sounded like it was about to fire but wouldn't. That was last night. This morning I tried and vroom, fires up no problem. I was thinking fuel pump or spark or fuel pump relay. I even bought a relay and was going to change it out this morning since it's only $19 but it started so now I'm wondering what the heck the problem was/is. Perhaps Fuel pump starting to go?