RM European Auto Parts

Thread: differential failure

My Cars
    2009 328i

differential failure

In July 2016, while relocating across country, the differential on my 2009 328i failed. We had to leave the car with a dealer in Illinois, and rent a car for the rest of the relocation trip. The repair bill totaled $3500; we spent another $1700 for the rental car and to have the repaired car sent to me in Oregon. The car had never been used for towing and had been gently used. I’ve seen differentials keep going for 200,000 or 300,000 miles of abuse on taxicabs, so this failure on a “high quality” car is especially frustrating.

It took BMW NA nearly 2 months to finally respond to my complaint; they felt that it was not something they felt obliged to compensate. When I told them that I would publicize the situation, and that I had recorded the call with the CSR, he went ballistic at me.

Guess what brand I will *never* consider when I buy another car?

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    Which part of the diff failed? Has this diff been serviced ? How often has it had its fluids changed? I believe every 75k fluid should be changed.

Ive had a range rover sport SVR 2015 brand new with 800 miles only on the clock gearbox fail.
    ive also had an engine failure on a bmw m6 2016 gran coupe because someone didnt peform the break im service on the car properly but both times car was under manufacturer warranty
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by sophocles View Post
    In July 2016, while relocating across country, the differential on my 2009 328i failed. We had to leave the car with a dealer in Illinois, and rent a car for the rest of the relocation trip. The repair bill totaled $3500; we spent another $1700 for the rental car and to have the repaired car sent to me in Oregon. The car had never been used for towing and had been gently used. I’ve seen differentials keep going for 200,000 or 300,000 miles of abuse on taxicabs, so this failure on a “high quality” car is especially frustrating.

It took BMW NA nearly 2 months to finally respond to my complaint; they felt that it was not something they felt obliged to compensate. When I told them that I would publicize the situation, and that I had recorded the call with the CSR, he went ballistic at me.

Guess what brand I will *never* consider when I buy another car?
    So.. You actually made an account here to tell us that you won't be back...?
    Did you buy the car used? How many miles?
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Generally BMW and I'm sure this goes for other manufacturers don give a hoot about what your going to. If the car is just out of warranty, maybe they will help you out. Shit happens, a diff shouldn't have problems but its a mechanical part and can do what ever it wants I remember I bought a brand néw 1978 r80/7, while riding it for a bit noticed the clutch lever was pulling in easier and easier, well the cable was coming a part, I made it back To the dealer for repairs. Or how about my r1100gs BMW, when I got to the dealer for my first service the head gaskets had leaked oil onto the toe of my boot, they also in stalled updated head gaskets that day, I still have the bike with 81k on it.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    +1. Your car is EIGHT YEARS OLD, WAY past the warranty. It broke. Do you think Toyota would have covered it? Bentley? McLaren? Ferrari? Honda? Mercedes?

NOPE!

Oh, wait, I think you should buy a Hyundai....or is it Kia? Some damn crap car that has a ten-year warranty, because it's the only way anyone will buy their garbage. THAT is what you need.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2009 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by WadiM3 View Post
    Which part of the diff failed? Has this diff been serviced ? How often has it had its fluids changed? I believe every 75k fluid should be changed.

Ive had a range rover sport SVR 2015 brand new with 800 miles only on the clock gearbox fail.
    ive also had an engine failure on a bmw m6 2016 gran coupe because someone didnt peform the break im service on the car properly but both times car was under manufacturer warranty
    the car had 54000 miles on it, and had regular service.

- - - Updated - - -

the servicing dealer did not do an internal diagnosis, other than stating it was the bearings. not sure if this means inner axleshaft bearings, pinion, ring carrier or the actual differential.

- - - Updated - - -

i bought the car CPO with fewer than 9000 miles on it. I am posting this here because i feel that the enthusiast community should be aware of unusual mechanical problems, and to put whatever pressure i can on BMW to pay attention to its customers. I didnt say I wouldnt be back on the web site, but i did say i won't buy another BMW; those are different matters entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris, there are failures and there are failures. in some cases, there are companies who believe in customer satisfaction and good will; i've enjoyed those relationships and i will rave about the way i was treated to all and sundry. you know that it is very hard to capture new customers to a business, and that satisfied customers are the best brand ambassadors. as for how other manufacturers would have handled it, i don't know because i havent had the differential on my Bentley fail. by contrast, i've received above-and-beyond service and courtesies from some companies that you might malign.

i've seen NYC taxis go 300k with the same axle, whining to hell and back - long after the trans and engine are replaced, the axle just keeps turning.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    Quote Originally Posted by sophocles View Post
    the car had 54000 miles on it, and had regular service.

- - - Updated - - -

the servicing dealer did not do an internal diagnosis, other than stating it was the bearings. not sure if this means inner axleshaft bearings, pinion, ring carrier or the actual differential.

- - - Updated - - -

i bought the car CPO with fewer than 9000 miles on it. I am posting this here because i feel that the enthusiast community should be aware of unusual mechanical problems, and to put whatever pressure i can on BMW to pay attention to its customers. I didnt say I wouldnt be back on the web site, but i did say i won't buy another BMW; those are different matters entirely.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris, there are failures and there are failures. in some cases, there are companies who believe in customer satisfaction and good will; i've enjoyed those relationships and i will rave about the way i was treated to all and sundry. you know that it is very hard to capture new customers to a business, and that satisfied customers are the best brand ambassadors. as for how other manufacturers would have handled it, i don't know because i havent had the differential on my Bentley fail. by contrast, i've received above-and-beyond service and courtesies from some companies that you might malign.

i've seen NYC taxis go 300k with the same axle, whining to hell and back - long after the trans and engine are replaced, the axle just keeps turning.
    agree that your dif. should have lasted 500k, but I drive only BMW's because I can't seem to break them, and I only buy well used ones to start with, 20 years of clutch slippin', tire burnin', rev limiter bouncing, brake slammin' abuse, has only broken engine and tranny. mounts, nothing else. and some big hose clamps fixed the broken mount problems.