Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring spoiler, get on the list!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    You should have one by now, you'll see what I mean.

I know you guys know how to be patient now so there's that.

Beer time.

Have a good New Year's and we'll get back to this after 2018 shows up.

Cheers!
    I have been working all kinds of overtime hours, about 28 hours of OT or so, I have not seen the package yet, I'll trek on to the main house and see if it is over there in a bit.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I've opened up all 20, there are about 3-4 that didn't suffer the deformity and might work. I'll test fit them after I get done blowing up the forest tonight.

They don't have the gull wing effect.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 12-31-2016 at 05:00 PM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I've opened up all 20, there are about 3-4 that didn't suffer the deformity and might work. I'll test fit them after I get done blowing up the forest tonight.

They don't have the gull wing effect.
    That's great at least that you have some that are OK. And that tends to confirm my suspicion - that they 'sagged' after being demolded. Some were taken out properly but the others were not (as some worker tried to rush the job maybe).

I'm still gonna guess demolded too quickly and/or laid out improperly before full hardness (yes indeed that's what she said).
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    True, overall not the worst news. Perhaps I can make a jig to hold them in the right shape in a paint baking booth to heat them up and let them cool in the right shape.

I think you're right on the premature mould pulling/cure issue. Rick and crew are already working on a few fixes. I'm still optimistic. It'll just take a few more steps.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Good news buddy - that's making lemonade out of your lemons. Sounds like not all is lost.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Lemonade party tomorrow. NOT A LEMON PARTY! (don't google "lemon party"

I'll test fit each one received and seperate out the good from the bad. I'll post the number of good pieces and let you guys decide if you want to try this again.

I know you don't know me well but I will not sell something I can't stand behind. So the ones that make the cut, make the cut.

Fingers crossed that it's more than the 4-5 that looked right initially. I honestly didn't give it too much time because I was a bit disappointed and in shock?
    I haven't gone to the storage unit since that first day. I just couldn't stomach it. I'm tougher now.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-08-2017 at 01:03 PM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I have 7 that will work out of 20-something.

By "will work" I mean that just like the oem spoiler, it should be prepared by someone who knows a thing or two about body/paint. Even my oem spoiler, when set on the car, wasn't perfect and would have required work to get it right.

The other spoilers are so far gone, Wagons Ho would basically have to make one from scratch to save time wasted trying to get them right. They are going in the garbage.

So, if you want to try this again... I'll be here.

If for some reason you don't approve of or don't feel that you can prep the spoiler you receive, I'll refund your cost minus shipping. (I'm not ecsTuning)

Thanks
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-08-2017 at 06:55 PM.

My Cars
    e39 528t & W180 220s
    Hi Lee,

So those seven don't have the gull wing and look like OEM?

When you said they will required some work, do you mean standard prepping, sanding, etc? or is there any additional work other than the normal process (additional bonding?)

I might be still interested to purchase one of the seven, I just need more info on what additional work we're looking at here.

Thanks

I have 7 that will work out of 20-something.

By "will work" I mean that just like the oem spoiler, it should be prepared by someone who knows a thing or two about body/paint. Even my oem spoiler, when set on the car, wasn't perfect and would have required work to get it right.

The other spoilers are so far gone, Wagons Ho would basically have to make one from scratch to save time wasted trying to get them right. They are going in the garbage.

So, if you want to try this again... I'll be here.

If for some reason you don't approve of or don't feel that you can prep the spoiler you receive, I'll refund your cost minus shipping. (I'm not ecsTuning)

Thanks
    Last edited by esthero; 01-08-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    - e39 528t
    - W180 220s
    - e30 318i SOLD
    - e46 330i SOLD
    - e30 318i mtech 2 SOLD

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by esthero View Post
    Hi Lee,

So those seven don't have the gull wing and look like OEM?

When you said they will required some work, do you mean standard prepping, sanding, etc? or is there any additional work other than the normal process (additional bonding?)

I might be still interested to purchase one of the seven, I just need more info on what additional work we're looking at here.

Thanks
    Fair question. Less work than our prototype, definitely. More than unwrap and glue on. Any good paint job will require a good foundation so;
    Fit/sand/fit/sand/smooth/prime/smooth/fill low spots/take down high spots/prime, sand/prime/paint/sand/paint/clear/buff/install. Pretty much the same thing you would have to do to my oem piece. You can do less and you can do more.

I'm going to keep the initial price for these because there is some work involved and they aren't 100% more like 94-ish % but I wouldn't sell them if I didn't think they would work for you guys. Still way better than that Latvian version according to the last guy I've heard who tried to get one to look right.

I'm less nervous than you but not much. This whole thing was my attempt to make a "perfect" spoiler. I'm not there yet but if I can get some out in the world and make you guys happy, I'll keep pushing on.

I'm at the least confident that once in your hands and then at a body shop, you'll get it right fairly easily.

There's some high spots on the bottom to be sanded and of course the adhesive will aid in leveling things out too so don't get freaked out when you hold it on your car for the first time and you see "issues". I put each one of these on a wagon with my wife helping. We both had to OK the choice to keep or toss. We were critical. Only 7 made the cut.

Does that help?

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ok guys, I got to go home a few hours early today. Wish I could do that everyday, this work thing, what a drag.... Anyways, I finally pulled out the box with the spoiler that made it my way. First of all, it came well packed, wrapped well with big bubble wrap, that'l give me something to do when I get lazy and zone out watching a movie.... I pulled the spoiler out, it was well made!!! But, it has a sag in the middle of the front edge, and so the sides are lifted up, aside from that, it is awesome! It's like they pulled it off the mold too soon, it had not fully cured. I already know what I have to do to get this one done.I will have to grind the bottom of the leading edge get the sides to sit level, then build up the top side with some epoxy and glass. Some would say, just build it up with bondo, but bondo could crack up over time when it is that thick, it's gonna be significant, at least a little bit over a quarter of an inch in the thickest spot. There is also a tiny bit of sag on the trailing edge, no big deal, for me. I do hate doing body work, really, I hate the idea of it, but once I get rolling on it, then it's ok, I'm just goofy like that, is all. But there is something I want to try first..... It involves heat, think it will work?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Don't use it!!! I have 7 here that don't have the problems that one does. I'll trade you.

That was sent by the guys who built it and never tested the fit...

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Don't use it!!! I have 7 here that don't have the problems that one does. I'll trade you.

That was sent by the guys who built it and never tested the fit...
    Yep, I know this. Just thought you could sell the good ones, and I'll see what magic I can do with this one. If I fail, I'll buy one of the good ones, or one from the next batch. If I can salvage this one, maybe I can do the same for the bad ones you have. Let's see.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    With all blessings my friend.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Just got off the phone w/my guys in California. They have been mixing up processes so they can avoid this gullwing issue. I'll send back the bad ones, still have the 7 but my guess is that most of you will be waiting till I stamp the next batch "approved"

I understand. I'll keep you updated.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-18-2017 at 10:34 PM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Again, into the furnace we go.

My guys in Cali are securing a rear hatch off an e39 wagon so that they can test fit each piece to a vehicle before I receive it. With this step, there's no possible way outside of a shipping malfunction, for the next batch to be so far off.

The cure times weren't consistant which is why only a handful of these last ones came out right. (5 good ones left btw)

They've gone with a new resin and will be held accountable to the e39 wagon hatch. I should have acquired a rear hatch from day one, my bad. I assumed this was a simple deal. Use oem part, make mould, use mould to make new parts. Live a little, learn a little.

I'm shipping back the bulk of this last shipment and they can see for themselves what we saw.

The price will be higher. I'll offer the first people who bought and we're refunded their money free shipping but I can't lose any more money on this. If this next batch doesn't work, I'm done. I wish I could control the costs better but I lack that latitude.

Update as soon as I have new news.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 01-19-2017 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    Appreciate the effort and transparency. I'm sure it's frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by dmo84556 View Post
    Appreciate the effort and transparency. I'm sure it's frustrating.

Like asking out the prom queen through headgear and with your mom standing behind you adjusting your hair while you talk.

lol, not that bad. I'm pretty easy going. It takes a decent amount to get me upset. This is different and difficult but I guess expected if it wasn't the first time trying it. I needed an education and received one.

It can only get better right? I don't give up easily once on task. The dream is still alive but thanks for your and everyone's supportive comments. It has made this so much less stressful.

Have faith!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Interesting. The cure time I was figuring. But resin choice issues not surprising too. I work a bit w thermoplastics sometimes and would not be uncommon these days to find people buying cheaper offshore (aka Chinese etc) input components or formulated systems that have inconsistent cure windows or other inferior characteristics aka sag, vs the "brand name" stuff from US or Euro makers.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    If this next batch is of the same quality as the last:
    Perhaps I should just buy the mould and bring this all to my backyard. I'm sure after a short time, I could figure it out...?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I'm driving down To San Diego sometime next week and if there's not an improvement down there from before, I'm coming home with my spoiler and a mould.

I'll try to figure out how to do it myself. One less shipping cost, bonus!

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    So what's the verdict?

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    So what's the verdict?

You know better than most. I can't wait till you re-spray that spoiler you bought. We want pics!

Great meeting you and AquilaBMW last night. Really cool. I'm operating on like 30% mental go-juice at the moment so I'm going to sleep for a day and get to your question but in short, game on.

I should have an order filled starting next week.

They have a touring hatch to test them on and I feel that they've solved their premature mould popping ways or cure time or whatever. Slow and steady from now on.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 02-22-2017 at 08:28 AM.

My Cars
    '03 540iT M-Sport
    Great to meet you as well Lee!
    Aquilla knows I have several items on my list for paint, now I have this too. It may be 60 days out though since I'm waiting to find the right place that won't charge an arm and a leg.
    I promise to post once done

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Great to meet you as well Lee!
    Aquilla knows I have several items on my list for paint, now I have this too. It may be 60 days out though since I'm waiting to find the right place that won't charge an arm and a leg.
    I promise to post once done

Good luck. It'll be nice sharing the pressure a little now that some is on you.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    I have 3 good ones left and then dmo bought one last week. You can ask him about the piece.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 02-22-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast