Thread: 2006 X3 Accident damage

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3

2006 X3 Accident damage

I hijacked someone else's thread and asked a question, posted it and then the post a new thread option came up. So, I am very sorry for that. I am going to repeat what I wrote there.

An 80 yo lady T-boned my 2006 X3 when she cruised through a stop sign. The side airbags deployed as my daughter was sitting in the passenger seat. From inside the car, besides the airbags and ceiling, there is no damage at all.

On the outside, there is a dent in the front fender, the passenger door is caved in (ironically, the locking mechanism still works and no windows broke at all) so the door is bent outward and won't close on the top, but won't open either (hopefully that makes sense), the back door opens fine and just the outer panel has cosmetic damage, and there is a small ding in the back fender. The strip that goes along the bottom of the door, the entire length of the car has a ding in it but is not bent.

So, I brought it to the collision shop that the woman's insurance company recommended. They praised me on how great the condition of the car was...no kidding, I keep my cars for 20 years and then donate them. They were supposed to disassemble the car where the damage is to see what is going on. They even had me sign the estimate for the cost of $150.00 for doing it, which I am not actually responsible for but what they charge.

Well, I have spoken to the adjuster at the insurance company a couple of times and after three days, they declared it totalled and offered me a settlement. I asked if they had disassembled it and she said no they didn't need to. They were supposed to provide a write up of everything they discovered wrong with the car and that is what I thought they were sending me via UPS this morning. No, what I got was paperwork for the spare key, to release the title, blah, blah, blah.

Here is the thing, I got a lien on my car right before I lost my job 2.5 years ago. I had perfect credit (seriously) and after being unemployed I don't. The insurance company offered $12,161.00 for my car, which actually did surprise me. But, I still owe $8622.00 on the car. So, am left with $3K and change. So, because they gave this lady insurance, I'm screwed because I can't get a car. And, I wonder why they are in such a rush to settle the case.

I know I am frustrated because I had a car that I took very good care of for 10 years that will be chopped up for parts. And now I have nothing. I know what the doors and all the bits inside the doors cost wholesale, but they said something about the rocker. How can they know without taking it apart! I have photos. It's probably a doomed situation and the irony is if I hadn't gotten the new loan on the car, it would have been paid off a long time ago. So, I guess my question is (as I have no one to ask) is this: what are the chances they can determine the damage without taking it apart. And, would pictures help? Seriously, as bad as the outside looks, you can't tell the car was in an accident from the inside.

My Cars
    Too many/Not enough
    Sorry to hear of your circumstance. Since you are dealing with the insurance company of the other driver, I would be suspicious. You might want to consider getting your personal insurance involved by having an adjuster from your insurance verify the vehicle is totaled. If you got t-boned on the front right fender, it is possible that the suspension and frame got bent and it wouldn't be evident.
    Current Garage:
    91 e34 M5 - spoiled & demanding 27 y/o -glanzshwarz
    91 850i/6 -another spoiled & demanding 27 y/o- schwarz-gone but never forgotten
    06 325i - undeserving, spoiled & demanding 27 y/o daughter's DD-hellrot
    03 MINI Cooper S JCW -spoiled & demanding, yet deserving wife's DD - Chili/Panther
    05 X3 3.0i -family workhorse - diamond schwarz
    12 X5 3.5d - torque monster - space gray metallic
    86 GMC Cabellero - Old Faithful 32 y/o DD BMW Support Vehicle
    08 Cub Cadet 19HP 46" hydrostatic- yard vehicle
    88 Schwinn Sierra - 1WD Off Road Vehicle
    e31 & OHC BMW CCA #385540

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    I was thinking the same thing. The car was actually T-boned right at the passenger front door basically right in the center of the door, which got caved in so that it is like V in the center and the top has a gap now where it doesn't close (although the door will not open) and ironically the window didn't break, and the locking mechanism still works. From the inside of the car, it is pristine. My daughter was sitting there, so I am glad she was in this car and not our old Ford Explorer. The BMW is/was a tank!

If it is legitimately damaged like as you suggest, with the frame or suspension bent, then I can accept that, but I am just suspicious as to how they can determine this without taking it apart even minimally. I know this may just be wishful thinking. But, even if my circumstances were better financially, I still love my car and am frustrated to be losing it. But, your advice is sound. Thank you.

Ironically, now that I have had a BMW, I can't even look at another car to replace it with, and I don't care if it is used, etc. I never had any significant problems with my car, it had 106K on it and drove beautifully :-( Like I said, I am just super frustrated and just suspicious of why they are in such a rush to settle. Thanks for your feedback!

My Cars
    '88 320i Mtech2; 2004 X3
    I hate to be the guy to tell you that ... it is was it is! Be thankful that this insurance company feels compelled to settle a cash payout quickly and has offered a reasonable value for the vehicle (ie., more than you owe on it). So take the cash and payout the outstanding loan. You do not want to be driving a vehicle with a bent frame.

Your problem is not the insurance company.... it is that you now need to buy another vehicle and your credit sucks .... so you will likely be looking for a cash deal somewhere with whatever available funds you have. If the repo man had already come to take your vehicle for non-payment you would likely have received no cash back. Get a decent beater to drive around (with no debt) .... and build your credit rating back, then go out and get the car you want (ie., BMW) ... you will appreciate it even more when you can do that.
    ... forty-three years of driving before I get behind the wheel of a BMW .... and I am thinking, "why did it take me so long?"
    ... and then after another 4 years I can't believe that I have two of them !!

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    You're right. I think the offer was fair, but the circumstances suck. Ironically, my car was repossessed in February when I was (and I am being serious here) waiting for a check for a short contract job that I had done. I wasn't going to come in time, but I knew I was getting the car back. I woke up one morning and the car was gone. Never in my life have I been unemployed for more than a month and never been in this situation, so it was a shock even though I knew it was coming. I just knew they had towed it wrong, though. So, I got the check, picked it up and got half way home and the triad of death lights came on. I knew what that meant. So, I brought it to a certified mechanic that I had used in the past. He confirmed it was the transfer case, said he fixed it, charged me $399.00 (which I thought was low) and I picked it up. This place was about a mile from my house. I was almost home when the banging started and the lights came back on. I was so mad. I called my insurance company and had them tow it PROPERLY to the dealership. Skip ahead $4K later, the car had been towed wrong and the mechanic had lied about repairing it. I got it repaired, got my money back from the first guy and was reimbursed for the work the guy did by the insurance company too. And all was fine...until that woman hit my car!

So, it is as you have written and I will have to suck it up. Someone is teaching me something. I don't know. It's my birthday, so it sucks just a little more today. But, thanks for the sympathy and your wise words and advice!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I said goodbye. You know, they never even opened the door. They totaled the car by just looking at the outside. Grumble, grumble....I'll get over it...

My Cars
    E83 LCI 3.0si
    There are two vehicles I suggest for you, although of course they are no BMW. Both can take whatever you can throw, and they will get you from point A to point B until you rebuild your work situation. I have experience with both and can say, at least with a standard shift, they won't let you down for the meantime, even if they are purchased off of craigslist in a dark alley at night. One is a 2005 Hyundai Elantra (5 speed - 2002-2006 will do) and the other is a late 90's Toyota Tacoma. I know its not fun but for what it's worth, like others said in this post, you will definitely appreciate your BMW more after this temporary setback.

My Cars
    E83, E21
    Do not EVER let the insurance company tell you where to take it. Legally they can't. If it's not too late, take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

Or, take the $3k and buy something in cash. From the sounds of it, you should not even entertain making car payments, and definitely not a BMW. A car is a luxury, your home and your family aren't. You can get a good car (not a Korean) for $3k; I bought a '97 Jetta in 2007 for $3k with 89k miles and put 100k miles on it, including a 3500 trip around Canada and several NY-Key West trips. Pretty much all I had to do was basic maintenance; only had to do the brakes once in 190k miles. Original clutch seemed just as good as original, and far better than the 53k mile E46 I replaced it with. I wish I still had that VW. My wife's '11 Jetta has been good to her, now at 75k miles. I hate its driving dynamics (the X3 or even one of the other, older cars I've rebuilt and modified have spoiled me) but its been plenty reliable, as have been the MKV's. Avoid the MKIV. MKIIIs are pretty bulletproof with the ABA.

Tacomas are indestructible, Civics/Accords and Corollas/Camries great too. My dad's '86 Corolla with 150k still runs fine. I'll also add that the old square body S-10s are damn-near unkillable; I drive my '84 GMC on 350 mile round-trips without batting an eye, and towing far more weight than it wants to. Mine is rust-free.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213

I buy socks from Amazon.