Thread: BMW buyback or am I out of line?

My Cars
    2012 550

BMW buyback or am I out of line?

Unfortunately I'm having a extreme amount of issues with my beloved 2012 550i (yes, dreaded N63) and I thought I'd never say this but am contemplating attempting to have BMW buyback the vehicle or pursuit legal action due to consistent problems. I'm kinda at my wits end and would love to hear some feedback from you guys. Brief history, bought 14 months ago, CPO'd car, 44,000 current mileage, 30+ days in shop, most significant repairs during last 12 months are as follows: fuel rail's, fuel pump, some engine gaskets replaced, rear main seal, turbo coolant lines, radiator, motor mounts, both turbo's replaced, and valve seal replacement job. I also uncovered that prior to my ownership the timing chain as well as some other significant issues were fixed as well but SA was a little guarded to explain exactly what was done. I'm not the type of person to go sniffing around finding ways to be a rock in a companies shoe but this is starting to get a little ridiculous and I have zero faith that there won't be another problem in the very near future. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2008 328xi
    Bet it was a flood car or something dramatic like that....I can't see a bmw with only 44k needing a timing chain and turbos....maybe 144k but not 44k

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Saii View Post
    Bet it was a flood car or something dramatic like that....I can't see a bmw with only 44k needing a timing chain and turbos....maybe 144k but not 44k

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    There was a recall addressing all these issues.

OP, it sounds like a candidate for a lemon law and a buyback doesnt sound out of the realm of reason here

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 991PCAR View Post
    Unfortunately I'm having a extreme amount of issues with my beloved 2012 550i (yes, dreaded N63) and I thought I'd never say this but am contemplating attempting to have BMW buyback the vehicle or pursuit legal action due to consistent problems. I'm kinda at my wits end and would love to hear some feedback from you guys. Brief history, bought 14 months ago, CPO'd car, 44,000 current mileage, 30+ days in shop, most significant repairs during last 12 months are as follows: fuel rail's, fuel pump, some engine gaskets replaced, rear main seal, turbo coolant lines, radiator, motor mounts, both turbo's replaced, and valve seal replacement job. I also uncovered that prior to my ownership the timing chain as well as some other significant issues were fixed as well but SA was a little guarded to explain exactly what was done. I'm not the type of person to go sniffing around finding ways to be a rock in a companies shoe but this is starting to get a little ridiculous and I have zero faith that there won't be another problem in the very near future. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Since it's a CPO, you really have no leverage for a buyback since they have fixed all of the problems with the car. Just because you believe you may experience more problems in the future does mean any future problems will actually occur. BMW typically only does buybacks on cars that have irreparable issues going on. That being said, you might contact BMW NA customer relations and explain your frustration to them. They probably aren't going to do anything based on above reasons, but you never know. They might just throw you a bone and help you out or compensate you in some way to keep you in the brand. If you're thinking lemon law, you need to check your state laws. I'm not sure if lemon laws apply to used cars.

My advice would be to trade the car in while it's still under warranty or sell it to Carmax. Good luck.

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 Civic
    Because California, who knows. But my assumption is Lemon law does not apply to used.

The whole BMW CPO tag on it does lead me to believe you may get some support, either from the dealership or BMW NA. I'd start with the local dealership GM and work your way up. Poke around and see what can be done. If I was talking with them I'd make sure to throw "BMW CPO" in the conversation as much as I could. I always find reasonable requests tend to lead to reasonable solutions. So until you decided you have exhaust reasonable outlets and choose to seek legal litigation, keep it reasonable.

Outside of that, BMW gives you 2 years and 50,000 miles. I'd ask them to extend the time to cover all the time it was in the shop. Drive the piss out of it for 49,000 miles and trade it in. If I'm going to lose money might as well hold on it long enough to hope they too lose money.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Sounds like the nightmare I had with my 550.

Good luck!