Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FlatBottom Steering Wheel Anyone?

RedlineGoods is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    I'd like to see the progress on this. I really like the idea of a flat bottom steering wheel. I really like the M-Technic wheels but a more modern shape would be great.

Attachment 583241 here is a picture of what I would love to have. Maybe with some suede/alcantra
    So you want exactly the same steering wheel? The early Mtech steering wheel w/o airbag? This is a cool idea! But please take another look at the image you attached - this steering wheel isn't modifed the way we do it - the bottom spoke is not shortened but only the outer foam is rebuilt - looks like they only skive some rubber on the outside around 6 o'clock area and some on the inside around the 4-5 and 7-8 o'clock area and then build up some more rubber on the outside around the 4-5 and 7-8 o'clock area to create flat bottom part. But the overall knee clearance is not bigger as in OEM flat bottom wheels (like Audi R8 for example) but actually smaller due to unchanged overall height of the wheel and the built up rubber at the bottom sides. I'm not saying the wheel in the photo is made in the wrong way, I rather want to point out the differene between this wheel and the wheels that we reshape.

Those photos (taken from ebay) show what I mean more clearly:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kornfeld View Post
    Can you provide any details on how you are reshaping the wheel rim itself? One other concern I have with these things is being in an accident and having the steering wheel break or something and impale my leg.
    I completely understand your safety concerns but there's nothing to worry about. In order to provide unchanged safety level we do not modify steering wheels ourselves (we neither have enough experinece nor equipment) therefore we cooperate with the professional steering wheels fabricator that's been in this business for over ten years now and have lots of long time business relationships with steering wheel and uphlstery shops troughout Europe.
    The process itself is fairly simple (only when talking about it, of course): they remove factory rubber from the bottom of the wheel, cut the inner structure and weld a piece of straight rod of the same material (steel or aluminum, depending on the wheel in question) in to the bottom to create a base skeleton. If the wheel core is aluminum (most Bimmer steering wheels), the wheel core is pre-heated and welded the argon shield to reduce contamination and provide the highest weld strength achievable. Then the rubber-urethane resin is applied to create the new shape of the wheel and provide even thickness and grip profile all the way.
    I will be visiting them soon so I can make some photos showing the process. I think I can also show you a photo of the bare core cut and welded prior to coverng it with resin. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by LannVouivre View Post
    No problem, we can also provide this 4-spoke flat bottom steering wheel so that you can give him a nice gift

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team
    Last edited by RedlineGoods; 09-29-2016 at 05:21 AM.
    RedlineGoods - Custom leather shift boots and more - Custom Made for Your Bimmer!

Join us on FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM for product updates, contests and DISCOUNT CODES!!!

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlineGoods View Post
    So you want exactly the same steering wheel? The early Mtech steering wheel w/o airbag? This is a cool idea! But please take another look at the image you attached - this steering wheel isn't modifed the way we do it - the bottom spoke is not shortened but only the outer foam is rebuilt - looks like they only skive some rubber on the outside around 6 o'clock area and some on the inside around the 4-5 and 7-8 o'clock area and then build up some more rubber on the outside around the 4-5 and 7-8 o'clock area to create flat bottom part. But the overall knee clearance is not bigger as in OEM flat bottom wheels (like Audi R8 for example) but actually smaller due to unchanged overall height of the wheel and the built up rubber at the bottom sides. I'm not saying the wheel in the photo is made in the wrong way, I rather want to point out the differene between this wheel and the wheels that we reshape.

Those photos (taken from ebay) show what I mean more clearly:

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team
    Yeah, I really like the MTechnic2 wheel and I like how you do it with the bottom shortened and flattened. And yes, without an airbag! I am more interested in this wheel with your method of modifying. I like the modification style in the 2nd picture you posted. I think flattening the top a little might look good also to slightly square out the wheel a bit. I would also like to keep the ///M logo on the wheel at the bottom.

My Cars
    I think we have one Mtech 2 wheel in our shop. I will check tomorrow and let you know

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team
    RedlineGoods - Custom leather shift boots and more - Custom Made for Your Bimmer!

Join us on FACEBOOK and INSTAGRAM for product updates, contests and DISCOUNT CODES!!!

My Cars
    I know many of you are waiting for some photos of completed BMW flatbottom steering wheel but why don't you have a look at two other wjeel that we recently completed:

What do you think?

As for the BMW steering wheel - what is the color scheme you'd like to see it? Or maybe one of you wants to buy this first piece? We'll gladly wrap it for you

Have a great weekend!

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    99 M COUPE
    Estoril BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    Yeah, I really like the MTechnic2 wheel and I like how you do it with the bottom shortened and flattened. And yes, without an airbag! I am more interested in this wheel with your method of modifying. I like the modification style in the 2nd picture you posted. I think flattening the top a little might look good also to slightly square out the wheel a bit. I would also like to keep the ///M logo on the wheel at the bottom.
    Hi again

Look what I've found in our shop

The wheel P/N is: 2 226 741 and the slipring is: 1 159 065.

So if you're interested, please let me know what exactly you want done with it and I will give you the price

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TRICK187 View Post
    Estoril BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not a BMW and not the best photo but I believe the color is quite close:

What do you think?

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Hi again

Look what I've found in our shop

The wheel P/N is: 2 226 741 and the slipring is: 1 159 065.

So if you're interested, please let me know what exactly you want done with it and I will give you the price

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team
    that's the wheel! I'd like the bottom flattened and I'd like to keep that little ///M emblem also. It could be moved up a little to keep it centered if necessary/possible. Id like that just in regular black leather with ///M Stitching.

My Cars
    I understand you want to keep factory thickness, right? No padding necessary?

If that's what you want, your price will be $450 shipped. Please let me know if you approve and I will give you all the details on how to proceed.

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I understand you want to keep factory thickness, right? No padding necessary?

If that's what you want, your price will be $450 shipped. Please let me know if you approve and I will give you all the details on how to proceed.

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team
    It looks like it would be a little thicker with the added leather, is that correct?

My Cars
    Indeed

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Well then I am interested! PM me or email me at Fhill1381@gmail.com with details please
    Indeed

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    Emailed you

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Paid. Let me know what kind of time frame I am looking at to receive the wheel.
    Thanks
    Emailed you

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    E36, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by cfmistry View Post
    Flat bottom is cool, but a smaller wheel is what I really want!!

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-hub-slipring)
    '99 Estoril Blue + Dove Grey ///M3 coupe
    '04 Jet Black + Cinnamon ///
    M3 coupe

My Cars
    Paid. Let me know what kind of time frame I am looking at to receive the wheel.
    Sending the wheel to the fabricator tomorrow. I will let you know as soon as it arrives back for wrapping.

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Now I am excited, haha. It's going be hard to wait on this one. Any interest in my stock 1998 M roadster steering wheel?

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Do you have a ball park time frame for when you will receive the wheel back? Or rough guess when I might have it by?

My Cars
    The wheel will be back later this week so should be completed and shipped next week. I will of course send you photos as soon as it is ready

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    The wheel will be back later this week so should be completed and shipped next week. I will of course send you photos as soon as it is ready

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team
    Great, Thanks for the update!

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Post pics of the wheel here when you are done and you might even have another customer
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Any news? I sent a PM Wed haven't heard back yet.

My Cars
    I apologize, we're closed for The Sema Show until end of this week. Please let me respond with the ETA as soon as I come back to my office next Tuesday.

Sorry it takes so long, I was hoping to complete your steering wheel before leaving for Sema, but there was so many thing going on that it turned out impossible

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    thanks for getting back to me.
    I figured you were at SEMA now. I understand things take time, I work in aerospace manufacturing, so I know the struggle to get things made quickly. I just like to have an idea of what's going on.
    I hope SEMA goes well, and I am looking forward to an update on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Venom13132; 11-02-2016 at 09:36 AM.

My Cars
    As soon as I get back to my office, I will check what is going on there and let you know the status

Take care

Jack
    RedlineGoods Team

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    This situation is making me think again about considering a redline wheel. You guys need to be a bit more transparent...
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast