Thread: WELDED DIFF (california,Bay Area, us)

My Cars
    Bmw e36

WELDED DIFF (california,Bay Area, us)

Im trying to weld my diff, does anyone in the the Bay Area know a mechanic that would be willing to do it?? And any thoughts on welded diff?

My Cars
    '08 Acura TL Type S
    If this is dedicated drift car and you can't afford an LSD, then ask on Bay Area drift forum for local trusted welding shop.

If you plan to daily drive this car, do not weld the dif.

Seriously, I see LSDs go for $200 to $350... and then you get all the bonus fun of putting in urethane bushings and etc.
    Eat, drink, and be merry - for tomorrow we drive.

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by JEC928 View Post
    If this is dedicated drift car and you can't afford an LSD, then ask on Bay Area drift forum for local trusted welding shop.

If you plan to daily drive this car, do not weld the dif.

Seriously, I see LSDs go for $200 to $350... and then you get all the bonus fun of putting in urethane bushings and etc.
    this.

i used to live in bay (for work) about 8 years ago Limitless motor sports in San Bruno built me a 240sx drift car with a cage, welded diff, bumpers & a SR20. you can also try TC design in the south bay, Tony caged up my GTSE M3.

My Cars
    One Too Many
    ^ What the Walrus and guy with Glasses said..

Basically if a track car or if you just dont care then well go for it but least make sure its a shorter open diff that you are welding shut, lol least you will get faster acceleration, If I were to do it, maybe I would use a 3.71 (or what was it 73?) open diff.. To weld it, well just take the rear case off, jack the car up or heck dont, just get a local welder to weld it and then use your gasket maker prematex red and within a hour or two you are done.

or just get a nice 3.64 LSD best of both worlds, change the diff fluid and install that and within a few hours you are done! see that its the right diff, flange changes may be needed I think.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Having a locker, two of them, in my Jeep, you do not want a welded diff unless you are using the car for other than daily driving. A welded diff will be a hand full in any kind of inclement weather. The diff will kill the tires because of the scrubbing that must occur when you turn.