Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: Help needed with creating an AUX/ USB output in E46.

My Cars
    2001 318Ci AC Schnitzer

Question Help needed with creating an AUX/ USB output in E46.

Hello everyone,

Since I recently took out a Parrot blue box kit and all the wires which were installed by the previous owner and since it's finally an OEM radio once again, I am in need of help with replacing it with something similar, yet easier, without all the parrot screens and controllers. I only want to have an aux/ iPhone output (yes, I don't need bluetooth or usb stick, only aux and iphone).
    Unfortunately, I don't think my 2001 e46's radio is new enough for a simple BMW aux cable that plugs in the back of the radio (SV 05-99 92)... With that being said, so far I've been looking at Dension iGateway as it seems to be my best option so far. Also, I was thinking about buying a newer, SW43 radio or higher to be compatible with the BMW aux cable, however, that seems like a more costly option.

Please help to decide and assist me in picking the right one, because frankly, there are so many options out there that my mind is all over the place.

Thanks a lot!

My Cars
    2005 330i
    Good work getting rid of the Parrot kit! I've always hated how much wiring is involved with those - makes it look like a big messy wasteland behind the radio...

We've tried every iPod/iPhone kit out there, but we unfortunately don't sell them anymore, so the best bet for reliability and simplicity is the Dension Gateway Lite or the iGateway. The only thing I don't like about the Dension product is that you have to know if your car has the 17 pin or 40 pin harness behind the radio before ordering (other manufacturer's products all connect to the change harness in the trunk), but you likely already know what you're working with there.

Looks like nowadays you also have to make sure to get their Lightning adapter if you want to use an iPhone 5 or newer in the car:

http://www.dension.com/automotive/pr...htning-adapter

I personally like the Gateway Lite vs the iGateway due to the very simple browsing. No menus or any of that nonsense - just charging, audio and track up/down from the steering wheel. Plus aux. As simple as it gets.

Let us know what you decide!

My Cars
    2001 318Ci AC Schnitzer
    Thanks a lot for the advice, and yes, I completely agree about the Parrot, I also dislike how music can't be controlled from the steering wheel or radio buttons while using the Parrot, so that was a big no for me.

In fact, I ordered iGateway just yesterday, so UPS better hurry up haha. But yeah, I got the iPod cable which they provide anyways since I have an iPhone 4 to 5 adapter.

Yet again, thank you for the confirmation that the iGateway is a good purchase!

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    I believe I still have one of CD53s for sale that is capable of Aux input. PM me if interested.

My Cars
    2001 318Ci AC Schnitzer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    I believe I still have one of CD53s for sale that is capable of Aux input. PM me if interested.
    Thanks for the offer but I already ordered the Dension kit, it was the cheapest way to go and no need for a new radio anymore.

My Cars
    2005 330i
    Good choice! Definitely let us know how it works out!

My Cars
    2001 318Ci AC Schnitzer
    Have had the Dension iGateway for over a week now and it's working really well so I am quite happy. The setup was easy and there is no need to pay someone else to do it for you, unless you really don't know anything about electronics and/or just don't have the time to do it.

I love the simplicity of the kit and the clean sound it gives. With that being said, the only issue I had was when it came to stuffing all the wire blocks and figuring out where you want to place the kit as well as where the usb and aux output is going to be coming through. But, after 5 minutes of experimenting all the possible placements, the right one was found.

Recommend the kit for people who enjoy simplicity and don't need Bluetooth or all kinds of other technology in their car.

My Cars
    2005 330i
    Glad to hear it worked out well!