Page 12 of 122 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast

Thread: RVAE34's next E38 project

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Brandon, you may want to paint all black trim to gloss black like it is on M5's, or its to much hassle?
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    I may consider it eventually. But need to spend my money where the car needs it most at first. I can fine tune the details later. I may have some paint work done and PDR to fix the small imperfections.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Got his NBT kit today:

Also, got the parcel shelf off the subwoofer and the speakers are super blown:

Apparently FL sun does it's damage no matter how low the miles are. C pillars were also quite brittle, but they might be able to be repaired.

The main thing is to get everything that's going to Brian's out of the car before Friday. Looks like that leaves the tan door panels and lower b pillars, but those shouldn't take long to take out. Carpets, console and dash can wait until later, so I can move the car around as needed.

- - - Updated - - -

Test fit of the screen:

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '98 E38 740IL, '01 740i
    My god...that is beautiful....now I want NBT...
    TRPCHGE - '01 740i Black/Black 230k'ish - Power folding mirrors, Mk.IV Nav, 16:9, M-pars, Sport seats, Sport wheel, Steptronic, Euro rear fog switch, 2.50" X-Pipe, Shadowline, E53 4.6is Cluster, Lacewood interior, Chromeline, 3.15, Bilstein B6+H&R Stage II's. - SOLD 06/21

BSKCASE - '98 740il Arctic Silver/Black 175k'ish - Face-lifted, 3" Projectors, Shadowline, 01 Tails, Hydro Trunk, Sunshades, 750il Full interior retrofit, Sport Seats, Steptronic, Face-lift Steering Column, X5 Steering wheel, E53 4.6is Cluster, Euro E66 Piano black/Chrome Grab-handles, Chromeline, Suede Pillars/Headliner, Auto wipers/Lights, Lighted Handles interior/Exterior, Dual battery retrofit.

WIP: Custom Style 42 18x9.5" ET12, 18x10.5" ET8, 3.15 LSD Rear diff.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '93 300ZX TT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabreslight View Post
    My god...that is beautiful....now I want NBT...
    2nd

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    So funny, in the NBT thread in the e38 section that was just posted the other day, I was starting to get the impression that people didn't think it was worth it and they were going to go with the Chinese HU. It's interesting when you finally see how a properly mounted screen makes it look at home in these old cars. Just wait til I get it all hooked up and running and you see how it looks in a nice clean e38 with Caramel/Black interior. It's going to make this car look way more modern, like what the cars coming out now should look like .

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the display on and the new cluster in together with the new interior! Also ordered the Monsoon rear speaker box from Dville.

Also, the wheels showed up today and the rear tires, yesterday.

Last edited by RVAE34; 08-24-2016 at 08:50 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the display on and the new cluster in together with the new interior! Also ordered the Monsoon rear speaker box from Dville.

Also, the wheels showed up today and the rear tires, yesterday.
    Those look great! What are the wheel and tire specs?

GSXRliterbikz is offline Addict Number 45573... Moderator
    My Cars
    01 740iL, 04 X5 3.0i
    Minus the caramel, this is pretty close to what your looking for.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by GSXRliterbikz View Post
    Minus the caramel, this is pretty close to what your looking for.

Oh wow, I didn't know you got NBT too

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Paul, that bezel make it look like it was ment to be there from the factory,
    i like it a lot

- - - Updated - - -

Brandon, do you mind if I ask what you paid for that rims?
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by NordmanMg View Post
    Hey Paul, that bezel make it look like it was ment to be there from the factory,
    i like it a lot
    Well, it wasn't me that made it, so I can't take credit for it, but I do know who did and I'm sure they'll appreciate that. I agree that it does in fact look quite impressive and like it was supposed to be there. It was made from a full 4:3 nav screen housing, including the full casing that used to house the old nav and cassette, which means that I'm thinking it might be able to be secured properly in the same way. I'll know for sure once I install it for real though.

-Paul

My Cars
    E38
    That screen bezel is drop dead gorgeous. Brandon, is that the bezel offered from Germaniks? I was under the impression that they made a black bezel. They even matched your Vavona trim.

If I can get that bezel, the NBT is going in.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    tbd
    how much did this NBT kit cost? and where do I find one??? that looks amazing.

Looking to buy

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Paul will need to clarify the source. I don't know the name of the company, only the email I used to communicate. I believe Germaniks does sell the black bezel which I tried to purchase but they request to be paid via international wire and I am waiting to get a follow up as I have to pay a $30 fee for wires.... Hoping I can pay with CC and then will sell whichever one I like the least.

You would have to get a quote from the source on pricing but it's around $2k all in.

My Cars
    2001 E38 iL
    Those wheels are nice. One of the best looking wheels for the E38. I also had a set of those tires and they are grippy as hell although I removed them due to their weight. They are heavy as F.

I thought that the estoril car couldn't be beat, I think I may have ben wrong seeing how this build is going. Makes me want to keep my car of get another but I have not the time nor patience for an E38 any longer in my life. Sad but true.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    They are several lbs lighter than DW's and several other tires I was looking at..

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    This morning I got started installing all the trunk mounted stuff for the NBT and running the wires through the parcel shelf grommet. This is the first time I've run the bluetooth antenna on top of the metal part of the parcel shelf and under the fabric part, which should get a bit better reception and look much cleaner. The stock nav antenna will be used and I've got adapters for the FM1 and FM2 antennae. I've run the 3.5m USB cable and will likely put the port around the center console area, perhaps in the pocket or the phone eject box area. If he wants, I can just leave it under the console and run a lightning cable or micro-USB cable depending on what phone he wants to use. I'll get more info on that from him. There is an issue with running a longer than 3.5m or so HSD USB cable and losing connectivity, so we have to limit the length, which can make it harder to find a good mount for the port. Having the port somewhat accessible is important for map updates and stuff, so it will be good to figure out where I can mount it cleanly and where he wants it. The video cable, controller wiring, and CAN bus wires will be done later when I get the carpet out.

For Trevor, I ran that wire you needed for the DM-TL retrofit for you through that grommet under the tilt sensor and will get it to the e-box as well. It was a good idea to do it while I had all the existing radio/nav stuff out as that would need to be removed to get access later.

Ok, time for a pic:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I'm expecting to get the round to flat adapter harness soon, so I can get it fired up. Brandon is also sending me a dville modified sub box with Monsoon subs, so I'm excited to hear that with the NBT system. Should be able to get him by well enough until he gets a proper sub added . I haven't ever heard the Monsoons, so maybe they are really good and it won't need one.
    Last edited by blackknight530i; 08-25-2016 at 04:56 PM.

-Paul

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Looking good, Paul! I read a few reviews on the Monsoon that seemed pretty good. I think someone equated it to two 8's in a sealed box which should give me some good mids that most systems lack. Our V70R has factory 3 ways in the front doors with 8's and it sounds incredible. I hope this will tie me over for a while until I figure out what I want to do with a sub/amp.

For USB, I would probably just put my ipod in the trunk if running the cable somewhere near the console is a concern. I keep mine in the glovebox in the E39 and haven't touched it since I put it in there.. However, mine is powered so that might be an issue if not a possibility in the trunk.

My Cars
    96 750il
    I have mentioned it here before but I am excited to see your interior. I went through a thread that showed transforming a tan interior to cinnamon and black and it's definitely making me re-evaluate getting a car with tan interior. I have been thinking I wanted something with highline but there is just something about the cinnamon color.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Looking good, Paul! I read a few reviews on the Monsoon that seemed pretty good. I think someone equated it to two 8's in a sealed box which should give me some good mids that most systems lack. Our V70R has factory 3 ways in the front doors with 8's and it sounds incredible. I hope this will tie me over for a while until I figure out what I want to do with a sub/amp.

For USB, I would probably just put my ipod in the trunk if running the cable somewhere near the console is a concern. I keep mine in the glovebox in the E39 and haven't touched it since I put it in there.. However, mine is powered so that might be an issue if not a possibility in the trunk.
    Like a glove:

Brandon, I can do the USB in the console, just not the front panel where the sport button will be. I can probably keep it in the little pocket that is giving us so much grief, and you can just keep the ipod in there all the time, then pull the port out if we need to load map updates or something. That's what I've been doing in my e38 for a while. Will be pretty easy while I have the console out and we can always add a second USB cable in the trunk if it's too much trouble.

-Paul

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Depends if I end up keeping the pocket. I like the idea of both if not too costly. Options are good.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Depends if I end up keeping the pocket. I like the idea of both if not too costly. Options are good.
    Haha, I get the feeling you like having options, LOL.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    E38
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Haha, I get the feeling you like having options, LOL.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Where did you get that wooden bezel from? That's a game changer for the NBT because I haven't liked the options thus far. Also let us know about the Monsoons because I'm agonizing over the same decision still. I like to crank and I like bass, but I don't need my hair to be blown back. I just don't like a system that runs out of steam.
    E38 M Sport 6 Speed MANUAL

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    It came with the NBT kit from Piping Rock. Paul will be able to offer his opinion on the Monsoon system first since he will hear it weeks before me. Hope it's worth it as well. The E38 stock stereo just lacks mid bass IMO.

My Cars
    2001 E38 iL
    They are several lbs lighter than DW's and several other tires I was looking at..
    I think the Dw's may be lighter. Continental is known for their tire weight. I wanted to stay with the Pole Positions but they were actually one of the heaviest tires out there. However, a lot of the guys still use them because their grip in second to none and many will take that grip over the weight issue.

It's a great tire and looks the part also.

Page 12 of 122 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762112 ... LastLast