Thread: Recommended OBD reader?

My Cars
    E53, E39

Recommended OBD reader?

Hi all,

I've been looking through Amazon's selection of OBD readers and have been unable to figure out a clear 'best one.' This is particularly an issue as some of the reviews suggest that certain BMW diagnostic parameters are not shown by some models...

Does anyone here have any recommendations on what OBD reader to get if I am mostly interested in reading codes from an E39, E53, and possibly E36/E86/E31? Overall, older BMW vehicles.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any knowledge!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    information in this link:http://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

My Cars
    E53, E39
    Thanks for responding. I appreciate the suggetion, but I am looking for a standalone OBD reader, not an app.

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    The issue you face with "over the counter" OBD readers is that you will usually only get just the, OBD required codes, meaning pretty much just emissions related stuff, O2 sensors, temp readings, etc.

I have a $15 ELM32 bluetooth reaader that I use with my Android phone and Torque to look at that stuff. In that regard, if thats all you want, and the car in question has an OBDII port, then virutally any OBD II reader will work, all you need is the Wifi OBDII reader for Iphone, or the bluetooth one for Android. Or any standalone reader if you dont want an app, although apps susally allow real time data viewing/logging that readers dont offer. But if you want to go deeper than that, look at ABS, or trans, or airbag system codes, then you need Carly or gt into a whole lot of work finding an older laptop and some serious investment in time configuring one of the available software packages to work with it.
    Last edited by Bill837; 08-07-2016 at 01:38 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Download the diagnostic suite on an old laptop and use the corresponding cables to connect to the car.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E53, E39
    Thanks for pointing out the options that are available for more detailed BMW diagnostics. I appreciate it!

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Download the diagnostic suite on an old laptop and use the corresponding cables to connect to the car.
    See, that sounds easy, but when I read the threads about people actually doing that, it sounds like hacking the Pentagon, lots of talk about computer stuff I don't understand. Is it really as simple as downloading a program, running it and that's it?

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...uccess!/page81

Thanks David,
    This time I was able to connect my DME, E36 M40 (318i 1992).
    The problem has been there on the RS232, because I use a USB-RS232, a variety of USB-RS232 converter I have purchased but none managed to connect to my DME.
    I assemble T5730 (Thin Client base), and have a real RS232 port (com1), and i have managed to connect to all the modules in my E36.
    The bottom line for cars with OBD1 interfaces must use real RS232
    Last edited by Bill837; 08-07-2016 at 10:22 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill837 View Post
    See, that sounds easy, but when I read the threads about people actually doing that, it sounds like hacking the Pentagon, lots of talk about computer stuff I don't understand. Is it really as simple as downloading a program, running it and that's it?

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...uccess!/page81
    You have to run it on Windows XP or older but thats about it, it is mostly just downloading a program and running it. There are eBay sellers selling laptops with the diagnostic suite pre-installed that usually includes the cables. I bought one last year for $200. Using INPA it is pretty hard to mess up the car. I'd avoid stuff like NCSexpert unless you know what you are doing.

Best bet if you are not technologically inclined is to buy the pre-installed laptop and follow DIY guides on how to use certain diagnostic features.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    E53, E39
    @Bill837: I had a similar reaction to you when I stepped into the diagnostic software subforum. So I did some more research and found out there there's a handheld OBD scanner that is supposedly tailored for BMWs called the Creator C310. I'm still doing more research on it, but it seems like an affordable alternative to going the full laptop route.

@BimmerBreaker: Are you satisfied with going the laptop route over the handheld scanners? I watched some videos on youtube and it looked like the programs can be quite temperamental and glitchy.

My Cars
    99 323Ci, 98328i verts
    Hmmm, that creator does seem interesting. I would need to add a 20 pin - 16 pin adapter, but those don't cost much. And it does stream live data. Amazon reviews seem mixed, but I suspect a lot of that is due to customer ignorance. I do see references to folks being able to access both SRS and ABS systems. No mention of coding, by which I mean being able to change factory setup options like the door autolock feature and so on.

My Cars
    740I
    You might as well have a look at the MI6 (hand tool based) BMW diagnostic solution from Carsoft. http://www.carsoft.com/single-brand/mi6-bmw-mini.html

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by z3panda View Post
    @BimmerBreaker: Are you satisfied with going the laptop route over the handheld scanners? I watched some videos on youtube and it looked like the programs can be quite temperamental and glitchy.
    It is the same software the dealership used, it can have some error codes here and there but the functionality can not be beat. I have some handheld scanners ill occasionally use but then I use INPA for specifc diagnosis

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS