Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for used 5 or 7... Best years, or specific models and options

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
    Still looking!

Almost bought one last week but the BMW dealer was dishonest and wasted my time and money ($106 for an indy inspection).

Was wondering though...
    This car I almost bought had 57k miles on it. Is it sometimes better to get one with maybe 20k more miles, say 70-75k so that all the crap that goes wrong around 60k is sure to have been fixed?

(Just seems like a lot of expensive maintenance happens around 60k)

// Radar //
    There will always be things to break

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    535i for the win! Excellent mileage, sporty enough, powerful, and looks great. If the E39 is too old; this is hands down the best, economic option.

-Dmitry
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Hi,

i currently have a 2006 330ci convertible with the ZHP performance pak. Love it, but it's gonna be the wife's ride soon and I'll be getting something a little bigger for my 52 mi/day (mixed city/hwy) commute and for road trips.
    I'm 50, love to drive and go quickly from A to B. Mechanically inclined, but back issues make it harder and harder to DIY now.

budget will be about $30k, preferably less than 50k miles on it. I looked in AutoTrader and this is a realistic goal as there are many.

Many 740Li and many various 5's. Was thinking about a 550 with the turbo 8.
    just concerned about reliability and astronomical repair costs with either. (My 3 has been great though...).

Opinions? Year/model/option pax preferred. Please add a few word justification with your response so I can then do my own research on the answers I get.

Thanks so much!

// Radar //
    I have had 3 series and 7 series, but just bought my first 5 series. Replaced my wife's 740iL with a 2011 (F10) 535i xdrive. A very nice, one owner car with only 26k miles. Loaded with all of the amenities we were looking for. I had some misgivings about stepping down to a 5 series, after having owned two 7 series in a row over the last several years, but this is my wife's car and she decided she wanted to downsize a bit. After 3 weeks of ownership, including "around town" driving and two trips of around 600 miles each, I have to say that we absolutely love the 535i. The 300 HP 6 is very smooth and powerful and the 8 speed automatic is a wonder. Nearly imperceptible shifts in comfort mode but quite quick in sport mode. And the all wheel drive will be a plus since we get a few weeks of snow in the winter where we live. All in all, it is shaping up to be a solid, quiet, comfortable road trip car and also a car that is quite competent when I am flogging it on twisty 2 lane roads. Especially in sport mode and using the paddle shifters. And highway mileage that is so far averaging in the 29-31 mpg range (cruising at 75 mph). I really thought I'd miss the 740iL, but so far I'm finding myself preferring the 535i.

My Cars
    E60 535i M-Sport
    Well that's pretty cool that 1) you are happy with the 535, and 2) you married a woman that wanted LESS of something instead of more -- GOOD JOB! Lol

I negotiated a 2010 535 M-tech last night...if it checks out (Indy mechanic again) I'll arrange having it shipped to me on Friday. Very excited...hope it works out this time!

// Radar //

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Well that's pretty cool that 1) you are happy with the 535, and 2) you married a woman that wanted LESS of something instead of more -- GOOD JOB! Lol

I negotiated a 2010 535 M-tech last night...if it checks out (Indy mechanic again) I'll arrange having it shipped to me on Friday. Very excited...hope it works out this time!

// Radar //
    Yeah, I actually convinced her to try out a gorgeous 2012 745Li xDrive with only 19k miles. Amazing car. But once she tried the 535i she was firm in her desire to downsize.

Good luck on the 2010 535.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12