Thread: CEL cleared. How soon can I get inspection?

My Cars
    98 m3/4/5, 2000 323i

CEL cleared. How soon can I get inspection?

all-
    Does anyone know how many miles needs to be driven or how many times a car needs to be started after a CEL has been cleared in order to get it pass an environmental quality check (in this case, Oregon DEQ)?

I thought that i had heard something like 100 miles of driving or 10 driving cycles, or something like that, but a friend is telling me that it is only one driving cycle required.

Can someone school me on this? e.g. is it as simple as a certain number of driving cycles or miles? does it depend on what the code was?

If you're interested in the back story..... this is for a 98 e36 m3/4/5. I got a CEL a while back and but need to get it inspected at the Oregon DEQ (environmental quality check) in order to get new tags. My most pressing need is to get the car inspected, not to fix whatever may be going on with the emissions.

I thought that I had to drive the car for a certain number of miles/cycles before taking it to get it inspected. My hope was to drive for 100 miles without the CEL coming back on, then I would get it inspected, then I would figure out what (if anything) I need to do to fix CEL.

Unfortunately, the CEL came back on again this morning after 60 miles of driving. Wondering what is really required to occur between the clearing of the code and getting it to inspection.

thanks ahead of time.
    dan

- - - Updated - - -

answered my own question... See these:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ained-smogging

nice short video too…
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...A-Drive-Cycle/

My Cars
    z3
    You only have to complete one drive cycle. Different cars have different cycles, more advanced obd2 code readers can tell which readiness monitors are set. Most states allow 1 or 2 monitors to not be set, usually also depends on the year

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    98 m3/4/5, 2000 323i
    Differs from car to car eh? Seems like it would be pretty much the same between cars, given that OBD2 is a government mandated standard. Surprising.

My Cars
    z3
    What the monitors look at is standardized, but because not all engines and emissions systems are the same, the procedure to set the readiness monitors varies betweeb cars and more so between manufacturers.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What's the code? Perhaps it's a symptom of something easy to fix.