Thread: Newby looking for advice on 2002 Z3 2.5L

My Cars
    none yet

Newby looking for advice on 2002 Z3 2.5L

New here and haven't owned a BMW since my 1973 and 1976 2002 model, but looking at getting a used Z3. I maybe looking at a 2002 Z3 2.5L with only 42,000 miles on it but he's asking about $2600 above KBB value. I guess my question is how much should I rely on their value or should it be thrown out the window? I am in Massachusetts so it's not a climate that allows the Z3 to be used all year which I would think it would keep prices down. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.

Newby looking for advice on 2002 Z3 2.5L

You need more details. Color, specs.
    A listing would help.

But saying all that 2.5L is at the lower end of the price range. Auto, even lower. Try a price comparison on cargurus.com

Personally I feel kbb is a distorted price guide.
    Dealer listings ect.

Try a estimate on edmunds TMV before even looking at kbb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by magnetchief; 07-29-2016 at 09:48 PM.

My Cars
    Z3 2.5i Roadster (2001)
    If he has done a lot of work to it, such as replaced the cooling system and kept up with all the maintenance then you should factor that into your decision if you think it is over priced.
    Check craigslist in your area to see what they are going for as well.
    Good luck with your hunt!

My Cars
    none yet
    I went to see the car today and it looks and rides well. No rattles at all. I guess it had been re-painted about 7 years ago with the original BMW black metalic If he didn't tell I would have never known. I checked for over spray and saw none and under car had no rust at all. The shifter does twist from side to side but functions normal. He thinks the set screw is stripped and was told it was a $50 part. He says it never has bee out in the rain. He was asking $13000 but says he will go as low as $11750. It seems high, what do you think?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by campy1951 View Post
    New here and haven't owned a BMW since my 1973 and 1976 2002 model, but looking at getting a used Z3. I maybe looking at a 2002 Z3 2.5L with only 42,000 miles on it but he's asking about $2600 above KBB value...
    I went to see the car today and it looks and rides well... had been re-painted about 7 years ago with the original BMW black metallic... no rust at all. The shifter does twist from side to side... He says it never has bee out in the rain. He was asking $13000 but says he will go as low as $11750...
    I had not owned a BMW either since my 1971 and 1974 2002 models. Many former 2002 owners gravitate to the Z3.

Look at the Z3 buyers advice:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...urchase+advice
    http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...5#post26973905
    Buy a CarFax report to see number of owners, accidents, etc.
    Get a history of ownership if you can -- names and addresses. Google-map the addresses for photos of where the car was kept.
    Get a history of maintenance and repair.
    Take a test drive (you said you did) and work all the controls and features.

Do not be afraid to overpay for a good Z3; a bad one could cost more in the end. But I see some warning signs about the car you are looking at. Find out why it needed repainting before 42,000 miles. Sounds like either body damage, or outdoor weathering.
    Absence of rust is the norm, because Z3s rarely have any rust, even those driven winters in salt. If the car has not been driven in rain, it should have a clean bottom like this series of photos:
    http://s49.photobucket.com/user/vint...tml?sort=4&o=0

Not being driven in rain is only a plus because it indicates the car was a little-used garage queen kept out of the weather, and such an owner has usually maintained the car well mechanically.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 07-31-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3 M Roadster.
    I went to see the car today and it looks and rides well. No rattles at all. I guess it had been re-painted about 7 years ago with the original BMW black metalic If he didn't tell I would have never known. I checked for over spray and saw none and under car had no rust at all. The shifter does twist from side to side but functions normal. He thinks the set screw is stripped and was told it was a $50 part. He says it never has bee out in the rain. He was asking $13000 but says he will go as low as $11750. It seems high, what do you think?
    That's the sort of $$$ you would pay for an earlier model ///M series.

I would pass. He thinks too much of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    none yet
    I looked at a 1996 today with about 42000 miles on it and it looked pretty good except the drivers leather seat was all worn/cut from getting in and out. It is the side of the seat that would rest against your ribs. I don't know if that can be repaired or if a new/used seat is needed. The other problem is the seat is red so it's probably not common and would be hard to find used. He is asking $7500 but I am sure he will take some off because of the seat. There is also a rattle after closing the passenger door.
    How much would you take off just for the seat?

My Cars
    Z3 2.5i Roadster (2001)
    I'm with Vintage on the red flag being raised for the paint job. Did he say why he repainted? Have you pulled a carfax report yet? Does still seem a little on the high side and if the cooling system hasn't been overhauled then that can cost you a grand or more (depending on parts and who does the labor) and would most likely need to be addressed more because of age then miles. Vanos seals is another in that maintenance boat. I'd be thinking more in the $10-11k range for a really nice one that needed minimal care. Tough call....depends how much you want it I'm in NC and paid $6k for my 2001 2.5i but it needed a lot of work.

My Cars
    none yet
    Does anyone know where I might get the seat repaired or replaced on the 1996 I looked at today? The seat is red and has the matching red on the doors. Is it worth replacing the seats with something other than original?