Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Wheel Spacer Adapters to Fit Porsche Bolt Pattern on my e46 M3

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe

Wheel Spacer Adapters to Fit Porsche Bolt Pattern on my e46 M3

I have been gifted (thanks dad!) a set of O.Z. Racing Alleggerita HLT wheels that are originally meant to fit on a 2007 911-997 with a 5x130mm bolt pattern.

The wheel specs are as follows:
    O.Z. Racing Alleggerita HLT wheels
    Front Rear
    Size 18x8.5inch 18x10inch
    Offset 53mm 65mm
    Backspacing 6.85" 8.03"
    Bolt Pattern 5x130mm 5x130mm

I have done some research and reading and found H&R Trak+ wheel adapter spacers that can convert a 5x130mm bolt pattern to fit the 5x120mm bolt pattern of my e46 M3. I am considering purchasing wheel adapter spacers that are 18mm wide with a center bore of 72.5. My suspension is stock and in stock position. If anyone has any insight into the fitment of these wheels with wheel adapter spacers onto an e46 3 series I would greatly appreciate it!

Having said all of this, I would intend to use these wheels and the spacers exclusively at the track, resulting in a need to install and uninstall the spacers every time I head to the track.

I am curious to see if any one else out there has already ran into this situation with wheels of a different bolt pattern and if they were successful in finding wheel adapter spacers that are relatively simple to install and uninstall. I am aware that the trouble of finding the right spacers and dealing with the install/uninstall process during track weekends may trump the trouble of selling the wheels all together and buying new wheels with a 5x120mm bolt pattern. I thought I'd pose my situation on this thread before going ahead with either option. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
    bmmmr

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Overall - Sell the wheels and get ones that are much more suited for an M3 and it's specifications.

The OZ wheels have a big offset of 65mm rear and the E46 M3 in standard form needs to be around ET21. So you'd need a very thick spacer of 40mm or so. The general consensus is running a spacer more than 10-15 mm thick places more strain on the hub, and if you are going to be on the track where you'll place even more stress when cornering, it doesn't make sense. You've also got to add the cost of purchasing longer wheel bolts as well. The front offsets on an M3 can be around ET35-ET40 so you'd need perhaps a 20mm spacer.

There's no easier method to change when you do go to the track - you've got to take your road wheels off and the normal bolts, then fit the PCD adapter/spacers, then the wheels and use the other longer set of bolts. When you've had your fun some hours later, you've got to change them all back again. It'd be easier of course to do this at home, change there, drive to the track and then back again and swap in your garage. If that's not an option, you'll need to put the wheels and tyres in your car to take with you there to the track, perhaps rent some space there to put the car and changeover and then to safely store your road wheels whilst you are having fun.

The wheels design of the OZ's has perhaps the light weight aspect in it's favour, to me they're not exactly excellent looking wheels although I know the design is favoured for the 'track look'.

Sell these onto a Porsche owner and buy a much easier to fit and correct spec set of wheels for the M3, it's such a common model, you'll find something very easily.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe
    Thank you!

I agree with you. I have ultimately decided to put the wheels up for sale.

My Cars
    BMW 525I
    I agree with the decision. To put a spacer that big on they would also stick out of the wheel well. If I can help with the new ones let me know.

If ordering through the web site click through one of the banners and list "Jim" as a previous contact. The Tire Rack will direct a portion of the proceeds back to the the Bimmerforums.com site.

Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack