Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My ///M5 On a Little Road Trip Across America

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    This is true!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Next time you better stay at Marriott for peace of mind. Lol.

By the way, what was that white stuff you had under your seat?

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    So...... I would LOVE very much to talk about my trip from Charlotte to Atlanta. More importantly, what happened in between these two wonderful cities. After spending a couple of days with one of my Sisters in Charlotte whom I surprised with my visit (there will be family meetings about this), I headed off to Atlanta. Unfortunately, Trevor wasn't going to be around so I knew I would not be seeing him on this trip.

However, I had plugged the address for the BMW Plant in Spartanburg into my GPS. I was going to drop by. I did not know what to expect as the Zentrum museum was currently closed and I had no advance plans or invitation for this. To be honest, I was a bit on the edge about visiting BMW because I had spoken to some little twerp at BMW corporate about trip and how I would have loved to visit their offices.... he had dismissed me as one of the "many" communications they get and how they could not attend to them all. I told him by saying the mere fact that any BMW owner would like to visit their corporate offices should be encouraged and celebrated! He was such a tool.

Anyway.... my experience with him and him not even wanting to assist in anyway with my visit to Spartanburg left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. HECK! I started considering Audi for my next adventure trip. Yeah... I said it. Thank the Gods of Dingolfing that I was wrong .... at least about BMW as a whole. We need to just weed this guy out and our BMW family will be fine once again.

So....... I finanlly arrived at Spartanburg and there was a sign that to the Left was the Plant and Visitior Center, and to the Right was the Performance Center. I did what any self respecting M5 owner would do.... I headed to the Performance Center. This turned out to actually be the BMW Performance Driving School. I did not know what to expect as I was literally just dropping in. As I drove up to the building, there was a young couple snapping pictures with an M4. I found out later they were taking delivery of their car. As I drove by, everyone stopped what they were doing and waved at me. How cool was that?

I'm guess some dirty rotten Audi owners were trying to force their way onto the premises?

At the parking lot, I noticed a Titanium Silver E39 M5 parked. Now, take note - this is an important part of this remarkable tale. I decided to park beside this car. I chuckled at the thought that the owner was probably inside somewhere and would be thrilled that my uBer special Imola Red was parked right beside his / her car.

After parking, I marched off into the main building. On my way in, some team members drove by in an X5 and waved cheerfully at me beside the M5. As I walked in, I snapped pictures of the Blue i8 and the M2 that had done the One Lap of America.

Inside the building, I was greeted by a staff member. I told him about the trip I was doing and that I just thought it would be nice to drop by the Spartanburg location. I cheekily asked for a sneak tour / preview of the place. I was expecting a polite refusal and him to send me on my merry way. Well, lo and behold! He did not do that. Instead he said he would have been happy to do that for me except he was busy helping the happy young couple I saw earlier with thier new delivery, however, he would find someone who could help me.

Enter Matt Mullins.... Instructor extraodinaire. Matt came out of his office with instant southern hospitatliy and charm. I told him about my trip where I had been and where I was headed. We talked about the fact that the Zentrum was closed at the moment. Then has asked me which I was driving. I told him it was an E39 M5. He then told me he too owns an E39 M5. At the point, he looks out the door and asks me if I was the one parked beside him!!!!! What are the bloody chances huh???????

We went outside to compare notes - it was like instant brotherhood. He told me how he loved the E39 M5 and had always wanted one. We compared notes about our cars, how the E39 had been a blast to have at the Performance School, etc. I told him about all the stuff DINAN had helped with on the car. His car had the SS X-Pipe and I think Brittleman exhaust on it. It was a super, uber clean car.

Matt then generously took me on a tour of the facility. On the way through, he hands me this form and says, "You need to fill this out and sign it to get on the track." Think I just about pee'd in my pants with sheer euphoria. It was like a sudden hit of HIGH! I WAS GOING ON THE TRACK! That's right people, I was about to be taking for a Hot Lap tour of the track.

We then walked on to the apron where all the car were parked and Matt took us to an F10 M5. He said it was only right that us M5 owners should go on track in an M5. Ladies and Gentlement...... the next 10 or so minutes of my life were one of the most memorable, kid in a candy store smile inducing, heart pumping minutes ever!

Matt rolled us out onto the track and immediately launched the M5 into a roaring dart to the first turn. The engine, on my, that engine.... the sound is music to any gear head's ears. It's like Pavorotti learned how to sing horsepower. We burned through that track with amazing performance and agility. I commented to Matt that I had a new found respect for a "big car" that could handle itself. I will share the video soon.

After that, we got to walk around the facility, I got to acquire a pen and a shirt and spent the rest of the day with a Joker like grin on my fat face. I'd love to thank Matt for his generosity and hospitality and all the staff at the BMW Performance Center. They have the coolest jobs ever and they are willing to share some of it with the rest of us in the BMW sand box! Play well my friends!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The next update is queued to post tomorrow morning for the BMW PC photos...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Just read through this whole thread. Epic trip man, thanks for sharing it on here!
    CBlock

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I visited the Bimmer Bandit..... more to come....

https://www.facebook.com/10001267143...8980952200952/

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    So.... Atlanta. My city. My peeps. Much Fun. I arrived in Atlanta on Friday evening to a warm welcome from Eric, Tam, Brent, Justin, etc. We also had another M5 friend drop by (I suck at names, so I sincerely apolgize), hopefully Brent wills save me here. I met Tam and Eric in the parking lot at a place in Sandy Springs. It is funny to me now as I remembered that I actually worked in Sandy Springs - DOH! I used to work at the Porsche Building.

We all had dinner and spent the night laughing a lot and having way too much fun. I think Brent impressed our waitress.... with a little help from Eric, Justin and I LOL!

I spent Saturday with family. Of course on Friday night, I successfully surprised my Sister-in-law with a surprise visit. That was brilliant. Sunday morning, we all met for breakfast - it was Peter, Brent, Joe and Tam and I. Brent FINANLLY risked bringing out his gorgeous Imola Red X5 4.6 - and I managed to keep my grubby hands away from the keys. It was close though. Joe had his sleeper E34 there, Peter came with his 6 - Speed M-Sport, Tam of course had his DINAN M5.

After breakfast, we all hung out, took pictures, upset a wife or two in the parking lot and then I headed over to Brent The BimmerBandito's Crib. It was so, so much fun to not only meet a number of fellow board members for the first (You wouldn't think it the way we interacted), and to just spend time catching up and talking smack with each other..... I mean talking cars! LOL!

I unfortunately still have a slight vibration on the front end. We checked the tires and the thread if getting down there. I am thinking I may replace tires this morning if the deal is right or just soldier on till I get to Texas or Arizona. HEADS UP AZ!!! That's right, I will be coming through after seeing some guy in NM who owns some funny silver wagon with a lot of Blue parts on it.

I had a lot of fun at Brent's and got to see what I think is one of the CLEANEST Imola Red E38s out there. This thing is such an eye catcher. Kudos and Big Ups to Ramon on that car - thing is gorgeous. I'll just let the pictures do the talking, but what you guys sadly don't get to see also is the interior - simply beautiful.

My Arrival in ATL.... that's Eric running off camera.

Three BMWketeers...

The next morning at breakfast at Broken Egg.... thats the name of the place right?

Brent's beautiful Imola 4.6 that I have my sights set on Knowing what this car was like when he got it, the resurrection has been amazing.

Joe's Sleeper E34.... look closely at the engine bay. Stanced very nicely also with KW's

The 4.6 engine to have.... keys please.

Peter's engine bay. Electric Fan if you please....

Mr. Fancy Pants Tam's engine bay. Notice the little details that make this engine bay pretty darn special. I like the little touches....

Me and my Early Morning SES light... UGH!

I really think Joe must have still be groggy from lack of sleep. He allowed us to do this to his car. He probably work on the next morning what happened to his car! LOL!

At Brent's crib. We just happened to park out cars like that... nothing, absolutely NOTHING was planned for pictures! LOL!

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Very Nice - like the pics too..... You seem to be having way too much fun on your little safari across America!
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Looks like good times abound!
    '01 740i Sport MKIV, Quad Brake Lights, OEM Bi-Xenon retrofit, LED Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, LED Plate Lights, Dinan 7 certification, BM53 radio, OEM Sirius, Aux Input, TCU Bluetooth, Intravee II, iPod, Strong Strut, Dinan Struts, Springs, Camber Plates, Intake, MAF, CAI, Exhaust and Throttle Body

'99 318ti Titanium Silver '97 318ti Boston Green; '96 318ti Alaska Blue (sold); '08 X5 4.8i Titanium Silver (sold); '13 X5 3.5i Black Sapphire Metallic (sold)
    '84 633csi Black (sold); '88 325iC Black (sold); '97 740iL Black(sold); '01 740iS Black(sold); '97 318ti Alpine White (sold)

My Cars
    92BMW 525i/5,67 Dart GT
    Hey Michael, Great trip and pictures as well! After your breakfast at the Broken Egg and the guy's were checking out the SES lamp... you were'nt getting a Braizilian Wax job were you? JK

walk quietly....speak softly....and carry a big stick
    '92 525i 5sp , '95 525iT 5sp, '98 528i, '67 Dodge Dart GT , '85 Mustang 5.0 GT, '88 Mustang
    '93 Dodge Cummins P/U, '71 Ply Duster, '69 Mustang

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    So when does your 'Roadkill Trip' end?

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    Very Nice - like the pics too..... You seem to be having way too much fun on your little safari across America!
    Thanks! It has been a blast thus far. Need to catch up on my Blogs though....

Quote Originally Posted by 740iSport303 View Post
    Looks like good times abound!
    Thanks Buddy.... I have enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by dragracer440wed View Post
    Hey Michael, Great trip and pictures as well! After your breakfast at the Broken Egg and the guy's were checking out the SES lamp... you were'nt getting a Braizilian Wax job were you? JK
    Shhh..... That stays between us! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    So when does your 'Roadkill Trip' end?
    When I see the Pacific Ocean I guess.

My Cars
    toooo many
    Some nice cars! Especially that imola 7

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by .Tom. View Post
    Some nice cars! Especially that imola 7
    Want me to find out the price? Nothing like having twins buddy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I made it to Nashville, TN. Along the way, I discovered that my beast is actually a dragon that likes chasing it's tail. Go figure!

Had a chance to take a few fun shots along the way....

Then finally, Beast meets Beast.....

I think my Beast scared that Lil Dragon....

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Is this already done? In not- hit Birmingham between Atlanta and Dallas- lmk. I'll buy you a beer or make you watch home videos while cutting out your kidneys or something.
    Last edited by janders211; 08-01-2016 at 11:53 PM.

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Not done yet, still in Nashville. Think I pass through Birmigham tomorrow...

My Cars
    toooo many
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Want me to find out the price? Nothing like having twins buddy
    um no. one imola e38 money pit is quite enough

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by .Tom. View Post
    um no. one imola e38 money pit is quite enough
    Yah man
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Is there anyone in the San Antonio area? I am thinking of visiting the Alamo tomorrow evening.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328i
    which day were you at the dragon?

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWe36AS View Post
    which day were you at the dragon?
    Was there Monday, Aug. 1st.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328i
    Was there Monday, Aug. 1st.

o wow I was there Thursday till Sunday!

My Cars
    M42,M60,M62,M62TU
    Not done yet, still in Nashville. Think I pass through Birmigham tomorrow...
    send me an email if you want to grab a burger/beer or whatever. I am pretty free today.

e34 540i/6 :: e30
    M62/6 :: e30 318is :: c5 Z06

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Great photos, Michael! Just got to see them at home.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Damn, Michael, your in Austin already
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast