Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denzel - My Black/Black 5 Speed e34 Touring Daily Driver

My Cars
    525i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by staystackin View Post
    Thanks man! I have e34 experience so I don't feel like i'm even really all that motivated yet lol. Just stuff that's gotta get done!

Let's shoot photos! I've got tons of camera crap
    Definitely, Im working on the body over the next couple of months, after that some photo work would definitely be fun.

My Cars
    1995 540ia M-sport
    You came through TN and no call? WTF man lol! Congrats on the purchase matey

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    He came thru GA also. Loving the black interior.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    The first button doesn't deadbolt, just locks. The second button deadbolts/arms the alarm. Weird you had to re-sync it though, I've swapped batteries, engines, whatever in the squirrelwagon and never have had to re sync the alarm. Only when I added a fob, I just had to sync the new one of course.
    Anyhow, love the progress!
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Quote Originally Posted by cddallara View Post
    The first button doesn't deadbolt, just locks. The second button deadbolts/arms the alarm. Weird you had to re-sync it though, I've swapped batteries, engines, whatever in the squirrelwagon and never have had to re sync the alarm. Only when I added a fob, I just had to sync the new one of course.
    Anyhow, love the progress!
    I believe it was because the chip was loose in the key fob?

The top button locks the car after 3 times.... press once, bleep, locks and then unlocks. Press a second time, three bleeps and nothing happens, press a third time and it bleeps and locks the doors.

the bottom two buttons don't do anything on mine. lol, beats me....

I've got to get the oil changed as the PO changed it before the road trip and then I have put like 2300 miles on it since then or something ridiculous lol. Hoping this week to get at that and take a finer look under the car. Also I've gotta swap the third brake light from the parts car as it's missing on denzel - same with a clip or something that holds down the parking brake fully. Over bumps it lights up as if its on (it isn't pulled up, just not pushed all the way down). PO says it's a little clip of some sort - i'll consult realOEM.
    - Hans - Mauritiusblau Metallic - Ultimate Klasse - Progress Thread: LINK

My Cars
    '94 530iT LSx/T56
    dont know of a clip that holds the handle down, but you may be able to bend the contact tab a bit to keep the light from coming on and getting dinged at. Youll have to remove the rear console and the black rubber boot over it to get to it though.
    -Alex

My Cars
    '95 528iT/5 sport
    That's trippy. My first button is strictly lock/unlock. I turned the honk function off, can't stand that stuff. I do have an issue with the alarm/deadbolt (which I never use). It used to work fine but now the alarm just goes off after ~30 seconds, not sure why. So I just don't set it.
    my version of a midlife crisis: 20 year old spray painted, lowered BMW station wagon.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    It's beeping like that because one of the door/hatch/hood pins isn't showing closed.
    Thats also why the alarm goes off when you do the double lock.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Quote Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
    It's beeping like that because one of the door/hatch/hood pins isn't showing closed.
    Thats also why the alarm goes off when you do the double lock.
    That makes sense, the Front passenger's door always needs "a little help" - probably could use some grease.

Learned some fun things about the car this weekend camping..... I learned that there is missing weather stripping on the passenger front door and that causes a bit of a leak in heavy rains.... I learned that the window that was replaced by the PO is really just awful. It's not on track or something? That whole door is a bit of a conundrum... it was leaking a bit and my friend opened it and we were trying to roll it down (on the angle that it rolls down on for about 2 inches) and roll it back up getting a better seal on the weather stripping.... which worked sortof, and then he went to pull the door closed and the door panel pulled off lol. ahhh the joys of old cars.... I knew that one wasn't really attached properly but I didn't think it was that bad!

In any event, the car did great driving up to the camp site and looked good while we were chilling. I'll get these things fixed when I get some more alone time with the parts car. Been running around a bit this past week.

Also I've accepted another full time job, so i'll be relinquished to weekend work on the touring now. But I will NOT let it get away from me.

Camping shot.

Denzel in the woods by WestonHelmsley, on Flickr
    Denzel in the woods by WestonHelmsley, on Flickr

Does anyone know how the license plate mount works? I had the plate delete on the car so I left it, but on the parts car there were plastic bits in the bumper that the screws went into and that's how the frame was held up to mount the plate.... I couldn't figure out how to remove the plastic bits, is it possible or do I need to buy new ones and they're some sort of rivet type deal?

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    E34 Touring camping FTW!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    ‘15 F31d Msport
    Just an educated guess, but it is probably the hood pin, as you'd get a door ajar error on any of the other microswitches.
    If I were to give my Touring a first name, I'd probably name it "Alan".
    Mostly because I like puns.
    Mutual Admiration Society #5

My Cars
    95 525it
    HEY! Looks to me like we are vehicular eskimo brothers.

Ive been cruising a lot of threads lately since Ive decided to tear back into my touring. Saw this thread and noticed the cut out chunk of carpet in the rear by the hatch. That totally has to be the first touring I owned.

Believe it or not, that car has come a long way since when I owned it. Sorry that its been a pain in the ass so far. Bought that car around 3 years ago in Houston. Had it for about a month when I found my current touring (Also a Houston car). Denzel stayed parked for a few months till I sold it to someone back in Houston. Its always had weird locking issues. Cool to see it got swapped and is in great hands now. Im not sure I could be any help with any info on the car though. Honestly, bought the car, parked it, sold it.

Was selling my current touring but just couldnt do it. So now Im ordering a shit ton of maintenance parts, coilovers and 5 spd swap it.

Good luck with the cars.

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8rbob View Post
    HEY! Looks to me like we are vehicular eskimo brothers.

Ive been cruising a lot of threads lately since Ive decided to tear back into my touring. Saw this thread and noticed the cut out chunk of carpet in the rear by the hatch. That totally has to be the first touring I owned.

Believe it or not, that car has come a long way since when I owned it. Sorry that its been a pain in the ass so far. Bought that car around 3 years ago in Houston. Had it for about a month when I found my current touring (Also a Houston car). Denzel stayed parked for a few months till I sold it to someone back in Houston. Its always had weird locking issues. Cool to see it got swapped and is in great hands now. Im not sure I could be any help with any info on the car though. Honestly, bought the car, parked it, sold it.

Was selling my current touring but just couldnt do it. So now Im ordering a shit ton of maintenance parts, coilovers and 5 spd swap it.

Good luck with the cars.
    haha that's so cool! Yeah, I'm working on getting it properly sorted. It makes a decent daily when it cooperates! My GF hates the piss out of it though what with the seats having twist problems and windows not functioning properly right now. She loves my blue e34 but loathes this one, go figure.

Over the weekend I had a local glass place in brooklyn (had good google reviews) install a new front windshield, they reused some of the molding but some was cracked and they used a black goo seal thing. Lifetime warranty, 400 bucks total for the glass and install (insurance doesn't cover that when you only have liability)... I also had them remove the dark and failing tints. They were able to get all the tints off but wouldn't do the rear hatch glass as they said it would ruin the defroster..... luckily that was an easy swap from the parts car!

After the glass shop I headed to my grandmas where my parts car lives (man she rules for letting me keep that junky BMW parked there, thanks gram!) she made me a sandwich, was happy to be surprised by the visit, and then I got to swapping. I removed the wiper motor assembly from the parts car, latch, and the glass, as the latch on denzel was marred up and not staying closed over bumps. The wiper portion was straight up missing on denzel as well. Easy enough swap, connected everything wire wise that had connectors... and one or two adjustments on the glass and it was good to go. Stays closed, and now Denzel is Tint Free. Just like I like it. Oh yeah! and the glass swap means I now have a third brake light Albeit non functioning right now as the hatch wiring is fubar- need to fix that up next. Currently you turn on the parking lights and the wiper starts wiping the rear hatch lol.

I bought a replacement shift boot/e brake boot combo from eBay and installed that. The shift boot fits decent enough, the e brake boot doesn't really... I'll need to attach it better at the base that clips in. The replacements have elastic around the bottom, on the shift boot no glue was needed and it stays put. The e brake boot will need some staples or glue. I kinda wish I left the OEM one in, it was 90% fine and fit better, but it tore a bit on its way out so oh well.

New things I've learned of the car.... Changed the oil the weekend before, and inspected the underside. Nice and not rusty, as its from texas, and lots of the suspension bits have been handled and are in good working order. Everything was nice and tight. I saw the LOWTEC logo on the springs, realized the shocks do not have bump stops installed, and that I need new tires sooner than later. The rear dog bones are shot, and will need to be replaced. Would those be the cause for the car feeling "kinda all over the place" when you get on it? I have swapped those on my blue e34 before, so I'll get them changed out soon.

Another thing I learned was that the car doesn't appear to have a brake light switch? I had no idea my brake lights weren't functioning, but my brother and I realized they were permanently ON. I'm hoping rewiring the hatch (all broken wires and poorly fixed with butt connectors in its life) and adding the brake light switch from the parts car (hope that fits, parts car is a 1993) will do the trick.

I don't drive a ton, and I engine brake a lot, but no brake lights is no good. Gotta get that sorted. Then the car can finally be inspected properly.

One last thing - how do you attach the metal bracket for the license plate? This car had no front plate in TX, but requires one here in NY. I have the metal bracket, and the plate, but on the parts car there are plastic bits in the metal bumper that allow the bracket to be screwed in. I couldn't figure out how to remove them and daylight was fading. Any insight for next trip to grandmas?

Here's one picture for now, I took a few others over in BK yesterday so Ill upload them soon.

15241763_10154253560349163_5203712656580151886_n by WestonHelmsley, on Flickr

still trying to sell the 1998 volvo s70, 5 speed, 175k perfect working order daily I had before this. by the way!!
    -Wes

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Makes me miss my 92 Calypso touring! I like where this is going so far

My Cars
    '95 6spd 540
    Well, that was a fun ownership period. The car has been sold. I needed to let it go because I didn't have the funds for it in it's current "drivable project" state. I ended up taking a hit on the car, because I was a bit more up front about the condition then when I bought it, but I'm glad to see it go to someone who is excited for the project. It's his first e34, and he also bought my parts car touring so he'll be good to go on getting it up to tip top shape. I helped denzel along on his journey, and brought him to the north east from Texas. Fun experience, and learning experience. I bought the car for 4500, put somewhere between 800-1000 into it in maintenance, and sold it for 3500 including the parts car *which I paid 850 for a year ago*.

Not necessarily a great investment, but when is an old BMW ever? lol.

First car I've bought out of state and driven back, first manual trans touring i've had or driven, and the itch is real. Now I can focus my funds and efforts on the blue e34 - where they need it most.

Thanks for reading, farewell denzel.

-Wes

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    Well you didn't lose your azz on the Touring, either, so it's all good. Congratulations on the sale.

All the more focus and $ to spend on Hans!
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12