Thread: hardened rod bearings installed

My Cars
    '13 M3 Coupe

hardened rod bearings installed

Since I track my car and plan to keep it for probably five more years, I decided to have some preventative maintenance done. ACM replaced the stock bearings with WPC treated rod bearings and installed ARP rod bolts.

The stock bearings weren't in terrible shape, but I will say that I'm surprised at the amount of scoring. Mileage was just at 37.2K miles. I'm glad I had the work done for some peace of mind.

2013 BMW M3 Coupe : Interlagos Blue : Silver Norvillo : 6MT : Competition Package
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    pics of M3

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Better to do it now before it was forced upon you later.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    BMW Everything
    I'm surprised that they are as scored/worn with the mileage on them. If you have a 2013 you would have already had the updated OE bearings installed so I'm surprised to see that wear. I have a 2011 (production 9/2010) with the updated bearing and sent an oil sample out during my last change. I have approximately 32K on the car and so far it's looking good. We'll see though.
    Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, Free Shipping on $49+, and Hassle-Free Returns.
    FCP Euro - OEM & Genuine European Auto Parts Online

My Cars
    e93 m3, e61 6speed
    i need to do this as well. do you mind sharing the cost of doing this? can any mechanic do it? certain tech skill level? thanks.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    OP, what year is your car?
    Unfortunately, there have been a couple failures with WPC bearings lately.
    If those are the early lead bearings, it's not terrible, but if those are the newer bearings, they're pretty beat up.

6speed ccc: it seems to run about $2,500 at most places with parts.
    The BE Bearings and bolts just got back in stock recently.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speed ccc View Post
    i need to do this as well. do you mind sharing the cost of doing this? can any mechanic do it? certain tech skill level? thanks.
    You can DIY but its best to get someone who has changed rod bearings before to help with the actual install of the bearings (1/4 of the total job time) if you have not done them before. $500-$1000 parts depending on bearings and bolts used. 1-2 days labor (experienced shops are doing this job in a day).

My Cars
    '13 M3 Coupe
    ACM was running a special of $2400. I don't have the facilities and tools to do this correctly. They drop the front cross member, so it includes an alignment once put back together. It's a shame that this is a potential Achilles heel on this engine.

The car is a 2013 coupe and I bought it with 25K miles on it. I don't know how it was treated by the original owner.
    2013 BMW M3 Coupe : Interlagos Blue : Silver Norvillo : 6MT : Competition Package
    pics of M3

My Cars
    BMW E92 M3 4.6L Stro
    Quote Originally Posted by steve99m3 View Post
    The stock bearings weren't in terrible shape, but I will say that I'm surprised at the amount of scoring. Mileage was just at 37.2K miles. I'm glad I had the work done for some peace of mind.
    For 702/703 bearings, those are some of the worst I've ever seen, especially with only 25000 miles. Honestly, if you track your car, I wouldn't have used WPC treated bearings. Actually, now that there are lead-faced alternatives to tin/aluminum OEM bearings, I the OEM bearings whether WPC treated or not, are the last I would chose under any circumstance except a warranty replacement.
    Last edited by PencilGeek; 07-19-2016 at 01:02 AM.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    OP, was the car boosted? Any mods?

Quote Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
    For 702/703 bearings, those are some of the worst I've ever seen, especially with only 25000 miles. Honestly, if you track your car, I wouldn't have used WPC treated bearings. Actually, now that there are lead-faced alternatives to tin/aluminum OEM bearings, I the OEM bearings whether WPC treated or not, are the last I would chose under any circumstance except a warranty replacement.
    PencilGeek is in the HOUSE!! Welcome to BF.c. It's a bit slow on this site here, but the mods are great... and a former E90 M3 owner.
    I was thinking these were pretty bad looking for the newer/harder bearings. Good thing you changed them out.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    One of the plans I have this year is to figure out ways to get more traffic to the site... it's just hard given the fact that other sites sell their soul to do it versus us who do it because we truly enjoy the hobby.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '13 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by aus View Post
    OP, was the car boosted? Any mods?
    Nope. Stock power.
    pics of M3

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    One of the plans I have this year is to figure out ways to get more traffic to the site... it's just hard given the fact that other sites sell their soul to do it versus us who do it because we truly enjoy the hobby.
    For sure. The venders on other sites RULE the board. They can get people put in time out or banned outright.
    Thanks for a great board Kev.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by aus View Post
    For sure. The venders on other sites RULE the board. They can get people put in time out or banned outright.
    Thanks for a great board Kev.
    Let us know if there is anything we can do to improve... i'm always open to ideas, thoughts and such.