Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Calif. 2000 Z3 OBD II "Not Ready" for months

My Cars
    2000 Z3

In Calif. 2000 Z3 OBD II "Not Ready" for months

In June 2015 I had100K tune-up done (car has 98K) and coils replaced. I knew the battery had been disconnected because the radio code needed to be reset, but a few months later when I go to get my Smog test, my OBDII reads "not Ready" I don't have Service Engine light, and was told I need to drive the car more. I found the Drive Cycle instruction and completed them several times, but every time they plug in the scanner it stills show Cat.
    BAT Referee said I needed to take it to dealer for Diagnostics. BMW did the test and found nothing specific they could point to. But had many suggestions. They suggested trying updated software (I had software update in April after it failed 1st time) and/or replace 2 front Oxygen sensors (I had a back replaced in 2009 - less than 5k miles ago) if that doesn't work they suggest replacing Catalytic converter. This is all "trouble shooting" they don't know if it will get the "not ready" to be "ready." This is not the first time the car hasn't passed first try, but I seem to recall when if did fail or "not ready"in 2006 the problem could be identified pretty easily. Has anyone else had problems with "Not Ready" and found a way to fix it. I don't think the car is polluting, it's just not talking to the computer. The car is actually running great. Could the 100k tune up done something to the car's computer?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Lots of conflicting info.
    Which model/engine? The car is communicating just fine, if the inspection station is identifying car.

You will need a better diagnostic computer that is targeted towards BMW codes.
    Do not change the cats just yet.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    Some highway Cat effic. tests have to be run within a couple of minutes of a cold start - which can be a problem if you live in a crowded city environment without quick access to a highway. I have never had a successful "cold start" without letting the car sit overnight (8 hours, etc.). 3-5 hours of sitting is not enough. Good luck.

Was the front Ox sensor an OE BMW part? If not, I would change it to an OE part.
    Last edited by Monolith; 06-28-2016 at 09:36 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    There is a specified amount of drive time needed after the computer is reset before the sniffer test can be done. This eliminates owners from resetting error codes and going for a test. Are you sure you are waiting long enough before you go in for your scan/test. Seems to me it is about a week of driving for me on my Chevy. It is likely a hard figure for all cars given the ca. Smog rules are pretty deep.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    There are three monitor states, "Passed", "Failed", and "Not Ready". Not Ready does not mean it failed. It simply means the test has not been able to run to completion in order to set a pass or fail. Anyone that wants to replace parts to fix a "not ready" is a blooming idiot that knows more about punching a time clock than diagnosing a system that conforms to a 20- year old standard.

The first question that comes to mind is what is the patient. And what drive cycle did you find online?

/.randy

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    I understand your frustration.

'Not Ready' is a purgatory. There isn't anything that is identified as broken, so replacing components probably won't fix the problem. But it's not working either, so you can't pass smog. And even though the California rules allow one (or sometimes two?) monitors to be not ready, it seems that in real life you can't find any station or referee that will sign off on that.

My e39 / M54 has the Secondary Air Monitor in Not Ready status for months, which prevents me from passing smog. I've checked every component in the system, and it appears to be working properly. I've tested the valve both on and off the car using a Mity-Vac with gauge. I recently replaced the rear bank (cylinder 4-6 upstream and downstread) of oxygen sensors to see if that would help. The only thing that might be a problem is a clogged air passage in the head, but no one seems to note that as an issue with the M54 or have a way to fix it.
    Last edited by djb2; 06-29-2016 at 12:47 AM.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    I understand your frustration.

'Not Ready' is a purgatory. There isn't anything that is identified as broken, so replacing components probably won't fix the problem. But it's not working either, so you can't pass smog. And even though the California rules allow one (or sometimes two?) monitors to be not ready, it seems that in real life you can't find any station or referee that will sign off on that.

My e39 / M54 has the Secondary Air Monitor in Not Ready status for months, which prevents me from passing smog. I've checked every component in the system, and it appears to be working properly. I've tested the valve both on and off the car using a Mity-Vac with gauge. I recently replaced the rear bank (cylinder 4-6 upstream and downstread) of oxygen sensors to see if that would help. The only thing that might be a problem is a clogged air passage in the head, but no one seems to note that as an issue with the M54 or have a way to fix it.
    Do you have any diagnostics for your E39 like INPA? I was curious to see if the car doesn't know it reaches full cold, or maybe hot enough for test conditions? Maybe a temp sensor?

If not, for your car M54 engine specifically, I have a way to 'fix' that, a bit experimental, but I can help if you want.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Again. If you had a component failure, or a plugged air passage (that is a V8 specific problem), your test would not pass and you would see "Fail". The "Not ready" means the test hasn't run to completion. This is not the same as ran and did not pass. It means conditions were not right, or changed, for the test to be run.

/.randy

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Do you have any diagnostics for your E39 like INPA? I was curious to see if the car doesn't know it reaches full cold, or maybe hot enough for test conditions? Maybe a temp sensor?

If not, for your car M54 engine specifically, I have a way to 'fix' that, a bit experimental, but I can help if you want.
    I do have INPA. The temperature reports are reasonable. I've manually run the secondary air activation multiple times.

I do occasionally get logged errors about the oxygen sensor heater circuit, but those errors are sporadic and aren't limited to a single sensor. All of the heaters have consistent resistance of a few ohms.

Any work-around has to pass the visual inspection, so putting a relay in series with the upstream sensor output is unlikely to succeed.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by djb2 View Post
    I do have INPA. The temperature reports are reasonable. I've manually run the secondary air activation multiple times.

I do occasionally get logged errors about the oxygen sensor heater circuit, but those errors are sporadic and aren't limited to a single sensor. All of the heaters have consistent resistance of a few ohms.

Any work-around has to pass the visual inspection, so putting a relay in series with the upstream sensor output is unlikely to succeed.
    Haha, I'm not that crude with resistors. Something completely unseen, and it should force SAP readiness ON. But only SAP.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Triggering the diagnostic mode is not the same as running the system test.

/.randy

My Cars
    1987 325is, e34, Z3, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    Triggering the diagnostic mode is not the same as running the system test.
    I had read that for the Secondary Air monitor (and *only* that monitor) that running the INPA cycle (not just cycling the valve and pump) would satisfy the monitor.

My experience suggests that it does not. But it's not a good test, since it's not being set ready in normal operation.
    Last edited by djb2; 06-29-2016 at 12:20 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The test I'm familiar with only turns the pump on. But there are many variations on the INPA modules. What is needed is the system in open loop, but functioning O2 sensors online. fatten the mixture and make sure the O2's pin rich, then turn the pump on at which point the O2s should pin lean.

/.randy

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster

Exclamation Lost in the "Not Ready" universe. Someone Help!!!!

I am in the very same situation as you are. I have a 2001 Z3 3.0 and I have been doing work to it clearing codes and replacing parts to bring it back to peak condition. However I have 4 systems showing not ready and I cannot get smogged. I have done the drive cycle given to me by the BMW dealership in Fresno so I know it is the correct cycle. I have done this cycle a few times but the systems are still showing "not ready" I am going out of my mind trying to figure out how to get everything ready so I can get it smogged. Anyone have any idea what I can do?

My Cars
    2006 325i
    FLFRP2II49RV8GB.LARGE.jpg

Follow this twice (back to back) and you should be good to go.

My CAT was "Not Ready" for a month (in California) until I follow this twice then eureka! it was fixed.

Had about 10 people try to run me off the road when I maintained 20-30mph on the freeway for 3min 15sec. :p

My Cars
    z3
    Very different car but I had a lot of trouble getting another vehicle of mine (ford ranger) through emissions because one of the fuses that stored the memory of the readiness monitors was blown, meaning everytime I restarted the car the readiness monitors reset. I doubt there is a fuse controlling the system in this same way for these cars, but maybe something along these lines (short or some messed up wiring or a bad module?) is the culprit.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '01 s54 M Coupe; '11 750
    I can't recall if I have the exact same issue, but every year my inspection place has a devil of a time reading any diagnostics via the OBDII connector. (However I have no issues using an OBDII code reader or a laptop.)

It usually takes half an hour of trying before they can get a read, and still one (or two) systems reads not ready or unable to communicate (which is evidently passable in Texas).

I will say if you are tapping any of the OBDII wires AND/OR the cigarette lighter to power an accessory (eg radar detector) it can cause problems with the read. So remove those, not just unplug, if you have anything hooked up.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by SGs54MC View Post
    I can't recall if I have the exact same issue, but every year my inspection place has a devil of a time reading any diagnostics via the OBDII connector. (However I have no issues using an OBDII code reader or a laptop.)

It usually takes half an hour of trying before they can get a read, and still one (or two) systems reads not ready or unable to communicate (which is evidently passable in Texas).
    Did your car have the recall service performed? There was a known issue with the S54 related to this.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...6#post22911286
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    '01 s54 M Coupe; '11 750
    I did not know that. Thank you very much.
    I do all my own work so the car hasn't been to a dealer in probably over a decade.
    With my experience with BMW dealers I'm still a little reluctant. I don't want to fix one problem and come back with two more.
    When I get closer to inspection time I'll revisit this; however I'm not exactly motivated to have my emissions read on some days.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Even if you don't like going to the dealer, it doesn't hurt to check to make sure there aren't any pending recalls on the car every year or two! On the NHTSA site, you can search by VIN to see if there have been any recalls. Then you can decide if it's worth the risk going to a dealer.

http://www.safercar.gov/
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    Car is a 2000 Z3 3.2. It's been over a year, and CAT still is "Not Ready" Have 4 new oxygen sensors, and new software. Guy from the service station said he'd take it home and try to run it through the drive cycle. He had it for a week and no luck. Took it to my BMW mechanic. He said he'd try to run it through the drive cycle and put it on the lift to do it. He had it for nearly 2 months and 400 miles of trying and still says CAT NOT READY. Took it to the dealership, because DMV Referee said that BMW dealership repairs are the only one they recognize (I suppose if you spend over a certain amount and still can't pass, they might waive the test) dealership recommended new cat, but can't say that will fix it. Otherwise, the car is perfect

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, software was updated. Also cleared so mechanic could be drive cycle, more than 400 miles and cycle on street and on lift, still CAT Not Ready.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I wonder if the DME itself has a fault.

They can be swapped correctly with a used one for cheap enough.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    There was a post about this problem recently that spelled out VERY precise parameters to the drive cycle. Look for that thread

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    3.2 or 2.3? I would think that if it was a M, that would have been mentioned.

The last one posted in the forum was fixed with a new thermostat.

/.randy

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    I went through everything you described. A new aftermarket CAT finally made it "Ready."

Quote Originally Posted by Henryz3 View Post
    Car is a 2000 Z3 3.2. It's been over a year, and CAT still is "Not Ready" Have 4 new oxygen sensors, and new software. Guy from the service station said he'd take it home and try to run it through the drive cycle. He had it for a week and no luck. Took it to my BMW mechanic. He said he'd try to run it through the drive cycle and put it on the lift to do it. He had it for nearly 2 months and 400 miles of trying and still says CAT NOT READY. Took it to the dealership, because DMV Referee said that BMW dealership repairs are the only one they recognize (I suppose if you spend over a certain amount and still can't pass, they might waive the test) dealership recommended new cat, but can't say that will fix it. Otherwise, the car is perfect

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, software was updated. Also cleared so mechanic could be drive cycle, more than 400 miles and cycle on street and on lift, still CAT Not Ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast