Thread: Looking for First Car

My Cars
    2008 135i

Looking for First Car

First off, I want to say hello to the forums. I've read extremely helpful threads on bimmerforums when looking for my parents' BMW (I do a lot of the car and powersports research in the house) and for my own curiosity. I also want to address the fact that I have read threads on this site similar to this post but I think I'm a bit different.

I'm researching different options for my first car and there are a few BMWs on my list. I've considered the e90 328i, e39 525i, e39 540i, e46 330i, e60 535i, e60 550i, e36 328i, and the e36 325i. I'm 100% open to other suggestions.

About me: I'm 15 and a half with my learner's permit. I learned to drive in a 2012 535i and a 2015 435i gran coupe, two fantastic cars. I have a job and I do my own mods/repairs/maintenance on my ATVs and dirt bikes (light repairs and maintenance won't bother me). I suppose I might be a bit more picky about my first car (sounds completely ungrateful, I know) because of the two cars I learned/am learning to drive in. If I got a civic or a corolla, I would really miss the feel and spirit of a BMW. I also grew up around BMWs and subaru STis, making a civic or corolla seem even more bland. Reading up on cars is and has been a hobby of mine for a long time so I'm not completely blind going into this.

The main point of this post is to get recommendations from real owners of BMWs, including cars that I did or did not list. People who tell me not to get a BMW as a first car are also welcome to give me their opinion as I AM NOT dead set on a bimmer. My budget is probably going to be about 20k (including the sale price and unexpected repairs) and insurance is a bridge I'll cross when I get there. I'm open to getting a manual but it seems a tad bit intimidating. All of the cars I mentioned are 4 doors but 2 doors are just as good. Any car I will be getting will probably not be as quick as the 435i but that is obviously to be expected. Convertible is also not preferable, I just don't like them. Thanks ahead of time for your replies.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    I'm 12 y/o and what is this.
    Buying a used BMW will present you with maintenance costs for a lower priced car.
    The opposite can be true for a newer car.
    Since your parameters are a 3er or 5er from 90's till 2012(ish)...
    I might ask you this...since you're, "a bit different"...do you want a newer easier car, or an older harder car? Do you want a larger car or a smaller car?
    This may be coming across as indignant, but you don't even know what you want and you're asking for specific opinions...My recommendation is to try and determine what you want in a car first. You are well on your way, but you still have some thinking to do.
    20k is a LOT to spend on a car when you're so young. I would suggest, if you even get a BMW, to look into E46 or E60. Expect most of your money to go to repairs.
    Do not try and account for "unexpected repairs"...please. Instead invest in preventative maintenance and a proper inspection for what ever car you choose. BMW or not.
    I didn't have 20k to spend on a car when I was that young...still don't. I would tell you to save that money and buy something cheap...I mean where are you going with this car?...What's her name?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2008 135i
    I know what I want, I even provided a list of vehicles. I want something somewhat sporty but I'm willing to sacrifice some of that if something like the 325i or the 525i (not as sporty) make a lot more sense. Since you mention the E46, I saw a ZHP 330i for relatively cheap in decent looking shape (I'd have a mechanic look at the car before purchase).

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Most times in these types of post people will have narrowed it down to two or maybe three specific cars, sometimes with links. <--Hence my being slightly discourteous
    ALWAYS get your prospective car looked at (you can do it yourself once you become acquainted, but nothing beats a professional)

I have an E46 (obviously) and I love it, it's a perfect balance of what you might want in a car.
    As far as what makes sense, only you can know that. You have to decide whether you want a more sporty car or not (I suspect you want a more sporty car, being 15.5 y/o). As far as a ZHP goes, I am not invested in the mentality that a ZHP is that much more worth it over a regular 330. Extra 10HP, M-style interior and increased red-line...I mean if someone really wants the advantage of power/prestige why not just go for an M3? That's just my opinion though.

Have you driven an older BMW? E46, E39 or similar? You may consider doing that to get a feel for what each is like, since the difference between 5er and 3er is noticable.
    IMO E36 and E39 are more like project cars. They can be DDs, but people tend to fuss more with the settings in those types of cars.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by B00STED View Post
    I'm researching different options for my first car. About me: I'm 15 and a half with my learner's permit. I learned to drive in a 2012 535i and a 2015 435i gran coupe
    Year Make Model (i.e., 1998 BMW M3 Coupe) Not your parent's car, not your company car, not your sister's car... just your car.
    " My Cars: 2015 435i Gran Coupe"

Sure its your car.

My Cars
    2008 135i
    It is a required field for registration on the site lol

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, I haven't driven an older BMW. I've driven all kinds of off road toys, the 2 BMWs I mentioned, and 2 different trucks.

My Cars
    Too many
    Subscribed for entertainment value
    1994 e36 325i convertible, 5 spd samoablau metallic-just acquired
    1994 e34 525i schwarz II auto
    1985 Nissan 300zx 5spd
    1991 e34 535i calypsorot metallic 5spd-SOLD

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, I haven't driven an older BMW. I've driven all kinds of off road toys, the 2 BMWs I mentioned, and 2 different trucks.
    2008 335i for about $15k. Save the $5k for maintenance and repairs.

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i/6
    If you really want to know what a proper BMW feels like, drive an e30 or an e28.

The e39 and e46 are what I would actually recommend you test drive. Perfect mix of comfort and convenience of the newer cars while retaining the road feel of the older cars.

If you care about driving and cars, get a manual transmission car. There is no replacement for 3 pedals.
    11/84 528e - Sold
    07/96 540i/6 - Sold
    91' 325i - E30 Stroker - Sold
    95' 325is - Sold
    02/91 850i/6 - 3 pedals, 6 gears, and 12 cylinders

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Just my .02 but at that age with that amount of money and not knowing what your goals are in life (besides getting a high dollar car), I would suggest taking a step back.

My son beat the crap out of his first car, a used Honda Civic. Perfect!

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Just my .02 but at that age with that amount of money and not knowing what your goals are in life (besides getting a high dollar car), I would suggest taking a step back.

My son beat the crap out of his first car, a used Honda Civic. Perfect!
    I agree.

You could be Banned for lying.
    Last edited by MassiveWalrus; 06-27-2016 at 02:35 PM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Threads like these aren't too uncommon and they're invariably full of posts whereby people say OP should get something more sensible.

Well, I say OP should get the E86, it's two doors and 2 seats, who needs 4? I'm sure all his friends already drive as well. Plus, a 2 seater, it'll cut down on that per-marital sex so the parents will be happy.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.