Thread: Buying e46 330 xdrive or m3

My Cars
    2005 trail blazer

Buying e46 330 xdrive or m3

Hello, this is my first post here, I just graduated high school and I'm looking at buying myself a new car, I drive an 05 trail blazer, but I do not need the extra space, seating or the reduced gas mileage of an Suva. I started looking around and both of the models in my title above are within my top dollar, I want to know if either of those models would be good for me as a freshman in college, and what kind of maintenance I should expect to preform on the car to keep her running as long as I can,
    Thanks,
    Alec

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Around my area the price difference between an M3 and 330 (both E46) is huge. How can they compete?

I would opt for a 325Xi in your position.
    The M3 is a beast and suffers a pretty reprehensible failure because of it.
    330's have their own litany of issues that don't seem to be as common as the 325...that and 325s should be easier to find for a lower price.

I have some questions that will help this thread:
    What is your price limit?
    Will you opt for a Manual trans or Auto?
    Are you factoring in maintenance to your price?
    Do you know how much maintenance these cars can require? (Used BMWs are usually used for a reason)
    Can you perform your own maintenance? Or, afford to have it maintained?
    Finally, do you have a friend who is a BMW (E46) enthusiast? Or, is there a Euro import indy who specializes in BMWs near you?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2005 trail blazer
    Also, I have been looking into the 330city or the 325ci, but there is a deal I found on a 330ci, it's not a to good to be true incident but it is enough for me to look at, it is a manual and has the sport package which are both plusses.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    Around my area the price difference between an M3 and 330 (both E46) is huge. How can they compete?

I would opt for a 325Xi in your position.
    The M3 is a beast and suffers a pretty reprehensible failure because of it.
    330's have their own litany of issues that don't seem to be as common as the 325...that and 325s should be easier to find for a lower price.

I have some questions that will help this thread:
    What is your price limit?
    Will you opt for a Manual trans or Auto?
    Are you factoring in maintenance to your price?
    Do you know how much maintenance these cars can require? (Used BMWs are usually used for a reason)
    Can you perform your own maintenance? Or, afford to have it maintained?
    Finally, do you have a friend who is a BMW (E46) enthusiast? Or, is there a Euro import indy who specializes in BMWs near you?
    The 330 and 325 have pretty much the exact same motor... same block, same head, same cooling system. The only difference is really the throttle body, cams are a bit more aggressive, slightly larger intake manifold, and the rotating assembly.

Also if you are referring to the E46 m3 failures for the rod bearings, just get one that has had the recall done, or a 2003.5 or later. Or just count on doing the bearing recall replacement anyways. The m3 is more maintenance heavy, so if you don't think you can manage it, go for the 330.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alecgross View Post
    I just graduated high school and I'm looking at buying myself a new car. E46 330xi or E46 M3 I want to know if either of those models would be good for me as a freshman college
    Do yourself a favor and get a Honda.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveWalrus View Post
    Do yourself a favor and get a Honda.
    Agreed.