Thread: Motor Trend says ... the new Chevrolet SS picks up where the E39 M5 left off.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Motor Trend says ... the new Chevrolet SS picks up where the E39 M5 left off.

What do you think? Has Chevrolet (or Holden) taken the torch from BMW for the ultimate performance sedan? While the Chevrolet SS is 15 years newer in design than the E39 M5, it is marginally faster than. The maintenance on the SS would be considerably cheaper though I would imagine. A new M5/M6 need not apply because they are TWICE is price in comparison. Do you think the SS would be a worth replacement to carry the trophy for sports sedan? I'd probably be willing to be the upgradability of the SS is cheaper too since it uses an old school LS3 motor.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM

What do you think? Has Chevrolet (or Holden) taken the torch from BMW for the ultimate performance sedan? While the Chevrolet SS is 15 years newer in design than the E39 M5, it is marginally faster than. The maintenance on the SS would be considerably cheaper though I would imagine. A new M5/M6 need not apply because they are TWICE is price in comparison. Do you think the SS would be a worth replacement to carry the trophy for sports sedan? I'd probably be willing to be the upgradability of the SS is cheaper too since it uses an old school LS3 motor.
    Yes, the 2016 Chevy should perform as well as or maybe even better than the 2003 BMW. And can be modded much cheaper. But the E39M5 is classier. I am into comfortable daily drivers and I think the E39 is still one. You just have to be prepared for expensive maintenance on the old BMW. It is at the age where it needs work. Maintenance is on a $60k car, not the $20k you paid for it.

My Cars
    E36/4/5
    Comparable to the old beast which says more about BMW or less about Chevy as they're 15yrs apart...not really a fan of the rental car looks

My Cars
    e38 740i e39 540 wagon
    the chevy SS is priced at over 60k, while a nice quick car, it does not offer BMW levels of refinement.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanCollins View Post
    the chevy SS is priced at over 60k, while a nice quick car, it does not offer BMW levels of refinement.
    I thought the starting price was $45k?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanCollins View Post
    A CTS-V starts at a bit over 60k. That car is fast.

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    A CTS-V starts at a bit over 60k. That car is fast.
    IIRC auto only?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveWalrus View Post
    IIRC auto only?
    Previous generation CTS-V can be had with a manual... new ones are automatic only. New ones are also closer to 90k I believe.

My Cars
    2016 BMW M4 Cabriolet
    Speed is not the only reason people buy cars. Otherwise why do cars like the S or SL class sell for what they go for. :p

2008 335i Cabriolet, Special Edition, 6-speed

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Previous generation CTS-V can be had with a manual... new ones are automatic only. New ones are also closer to 90k I believe.
    That sucks... Pcars...Mcars...now Caddys....

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveWalrus View Post

That sucks... Pcars...Mcars...now Caddys....
    You can blame the buyers. If demand for manuals was there, they would make them. But a lot of people on this board dint buy the cars new, and then complain about lack of manuals. If enthusiasts put their money where their mouth is, this wouldn't really be the case.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    You can blame the buyers. If demand for manuals was there, they would make them. But a lot of people on this board dint buy the cars new, and then complain about lack of manuals. If enthusiasts put their money where their mouth is, this wouldn't really be the case.
    You're correct.

But didn't Porsche say their reasoning is faster lap times?