Thread: Opinions on BMW warranty/protection/service packages

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd

Opinions on BMW warranty/protection/service packages

In buying a demo vehicle from the BMW dealer is there any value in adding any of the following packages? I tend to keep my cars long term in general. These are all in kms (Canadian car).

• 7yr/200K extended warranty
    • Service Inclusive Plus (various terms from 3yr/80K to 5yr/160K) - covers all maintenance visits, brakes, clutches, wipers
    • Corrosion module - how effective is this?
    • Appearance protection (exterior dings, interior rips, windshield)
    • tire/rim protection (4yr/180K)

For any of you who have considered these or bought please share your opinions... worth the $ to pay for any of these up front?
    2015 M5 Competition+Ultimate Package black sapphire on champagne

2003 540i/6 black sapphire on black
    BBS RG-R, CDV, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan RSB, Dinan RSTB, Dinan SSK, Dinan FSTB, Dinan CAI, Dinan TB, Dinan MAF, Dinan stage 4 software
    BMW 13th gen ULF Bluetooth, BMW Sirius, Dice Silverline iPod
    Dynocom numbers: 320HP, 420LB.FT TQ (crank)

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd
    I think I am good with the 7yr/200K extended warranty and appearance protection.

I think that the service inclusive plus packages are way too expensive! So that is out.

What I want to understand is whether it really is worth it to get the corrosion module (is this even effective... many threads seem to suggest not) and the tire/rim protection (the price of the package is 1/2 the price of what it would cover over the term of the protection).

Thoughts?

BBS RG-R, CDV, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan RSB, Dinan RSTB, Dinan SSK, Dinan FSTB, Dinan CAI, Dinan TB, Dinan MAF, Dinan stage 4 software

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    An extended warranty would've been a complete waste of money for me, but I've read at least one person on here where it's paid off for them.

But then, I live in an area with temperate climate & smooth roads.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Waste of $$ IMO.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by speedemn View Post
    In buying a demo vehicle from the BMW dealer is there any value in adding any of the following packages? I tend to keep my cars long term in general. These are all in kms (Canadian car).

[*]7yr/200K extended warranty[*]Service Inclusive Plus (various terms from 3yr/80K to 5yr/160K) - covers all maintenance visits, brakes, clutches, wipers[*]Corrosion module - how effective is this?[*]Appearance protection (exterior dings, interior rips, windshield)[*]tire/rim protection (4yr/180K)

For any of you who have considered these or bought please share your opinions... worth the $ to pay for any of these up front?
    The warranty and service are really a hit or miss, it depends on the price, and which car you are buying. I take it this is a bmw warranty not an aftermarket one? It comes down to this, if you want the peace of mind it's probably worth it. Statistically speaking you should be fine without it, but you never know, which is why it's a good insurance policy.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    An extended warranty would've been a complete waste of money for me, but I've read at least one person on here where it's paid off for them.

But then, I live in an area with temperate climate & smooth roads.
    Unfortunately I live in Canada where during winter months (if I choose to drive this car in the winter at all) they spray a salt solution on the highways that cause car cancer. I have read that the newer BMWs are much better protected against the elements to the point that they recommend that you DO NOT get aftermarket oil spraying underneath as that will require the shop to drill holes to spray and plug the holes which creates an entry point for air/salt/water mix. So if I cannot spray I feel like I need to have another insurance policy - its under $1000 so I might consider this.

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    The warranty and service are really a hit or miss, it depends on the price, and which car you are buying. I take it this is a bmw warranty not an aftermarket one? It comes down to this, if you want the peace of mind it's probably worth it. Statistically speaking you should be fine without it, but you never know, which is why it's a good insurance policy.
    This is for a new M5... so at about $100K I am adding on another $10K to add all those things... seems steep to me... but I do keep my cars long term and this might be an insurance policy. I might drop the rim/tire protection package ($3K on its own but not sure at that point of being "pot committed" why not go for the little extra). I still haven't made a decision.

Other inputs welcome!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Quote Originally Posted by speedemn View Post
    ...the rim/tire protection package ($3K on its own...
    What are you getting for 3k??!?

That seems grossly excessive to me.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2003 540i 6-spd
    Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    What are you getting for 3k??!?

That seems grossly excessive to me.
    $3K buys $6K worth of coverage over 5 years. Details of the coverage as follows: http://bmwwidget.ca/BMWFS_TRProtection_en.pdf

My primary set of rims would be the Competition Rims and second set the stock M5 rims with winter tires. All 8 sets would be covered against the above.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    It's kind of like insurance... you hate paying it, but the day you need it is the day you are glad you bought it. However you hope to never use it. It has paid off for me in the past in a huge huge fashion, so I could buy 3x extended warranties and never get any use out of them and still be happy.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2016 X3
    Hi:

In need of help here, I had recently purchased a 2016 X3 about a month ago, and I would like to reach out to some dealers in the NY/NJ tri-state area to get quotes on extended warranty beyond 48 mos/50K. Any recommendations?

thanks