Thread: HELP!!! Car shakes as I drive?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci

HELP!!! Car shakes as I drive?

Hey everybody, I have a 2001 BMW 330Ci vert manual with 137k miles.

I need some help and advice regarding this problem my car recently started to have. The problem: As I drive, my car constantly shakes. It started off as a small vibration a few days ago, but now the car is shaking. There's some strange noises coming from the car, too; almost like "knocking" or "clunking" noises. The steering has become off-center and feels somewhat vague when going straight, as well. The shakiness and noises happen at all speeds, regardless of what gear I'm in. It's most prominent when cruising at a constant speed or when engine-braking. It's less prominent when accelerating or hard braking. The engine and transmission feel as good as ever; however, there's definitely some sort of problem with my car and I don't know what

PLEASE help! What could be causing this?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by Arezi View Post
    Hey everybody, I have a 2001 BMW 330Ci vert manual with 137k miles.

I need some help and advice regarding this problem my car recently started to have. The problem: As I drive, my car constantly shakes. It started off as a small vibration a few days ago, but now the car is shaking. There's some strange noises coming from the car, too; almost like "knocking" or "clunking" noises. The steering has become off-center and feels somewhat vague when going straight, as well. The shakiness and noises happen at all speeds, regardless of what gear I'm in. It's most prominent when cruising at a constant speed or when engine-braking. It's less prominent when accelerating or hard braking. The engine and transmission feel as good as ever; however, there's definitely some sort of problem with my car and I don't know what

PLEASE help! What could be causing this?
    I'd take it to a mechanic, but it could really be a lot of things, you could have hit something, one of your wheels could be damaged, some part of your suspension broke, could be your rear subframe, I mean it is really a massive list of things. Go to an independent mechanic that specializes in these cars and have them have a look.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Rear trailing arms bushings, or the rear subframe tearing out of the body would be my first suspects.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I'd take it to a mechanic, but it could really be a lot of things, you could have hit something, one of your wheels could be damaged, some part of your suspension broke, could be your rear subframe, I mean it is really a massive list of things. Go to an independent mechanic that specializes in these cars and have them have a look.
    Since your symptoms affect steering, a quick diagnosis points to front L-R suspension components(FCABs,Control Arms,EndLinks), but as suggested above, an inspection by a tech familiar with BMWs is needed.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post

Since your symptoms affect steering, a quick diagnosis points to front L-R suspension components(FCABs,Control Arms,EndLinks), but as suggested above, an inspection by a tech familiar with BMWs is needed.
    With the sudden onset, could be broken tie rods also from having hit something. But I would really have it inspected it sounds like a dangerous situation potentially.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    +1 for Fcabs. FWIW just go under the car yourself and look; its a very easy DIY IMHO. If you do find them to be at fault.... you can buy them already pressed in the bracket ( it will save you time.) I did my Fcabs on my E46 about a year ago and i paid $60 (cheap) for pair of OE Lemfoerder IIRC the part# is 31 12 6 783 376 you only need one set as they come in pairs.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Wow so ya'll won't believe what the problem was: Loose lug bolts on one of the rear wheels.

I found out the hard way what the problem was, too. I was driving the car cautiously the other day and the wheel actually came off my car!!!! Thankfully I was only going 5 mph at the time or else I might've been dead toast. I don't know how in the hell the lug bolts got loose, but this just proves to show that even the smallest of parts should never go overlooked in cars.

Everybody go and check whether your lug bolts are tightened properly lol

Thanks for the responses everybody!

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Glad your OK- and don't actually need a pricey repair!