My Cars
    2004 X5

2004 X5 4.4L: NEW here; first BMW in family. Questions about this used X5:

New here; thanks for having me. New/first BMW in family today. Actually, adult son purchased it, so am somewhat writing for him as I doubt he'll show up on this forum.....at least for some time. He showed us the car and my wife and I each drove it a little. Here's what he got for $6,500, and he knows it needs some things:
    2004 model with 125K on clock. Straight. Clean interior; seats in excellent shape. He got it from a single mother in her 30's. Has some service history I have not seen yet. She said she just had a new alternator and timing belt installed, (maybe battery too....), but was, "too thrifty to have the shop re-set the computer," so some dash lights work funny and some electrical things don't work right. She, "said," the re-setting would fix all that. (Hmm) Drives straight; peppy; stops straight. No noises; quiet. Sound system seems fine; cassette player in dash center tip-up section and evidently a CD changer in truck, (or some where). Nice after-market wheels and all 4 original wheels included. Will need tires next Fall before winter.
    I have a little concern about re-setting the computer and why it was not done. There is always that nagging worry that there are gremlins waiting to strike and destroy a fellow's wallet. Also a slight oil wet spot on right front of rocker cover of engine where it meets head. (Or it looks like a rocker cover)

Any comments about what to look for, or how to handle this kind of purchase would be appreciated. We all live some 80 miles from any dealer of this type, so I wonder about that too. Son is very handy with mechanics, so that helps. I've read already about some BMW's requiring, "registration," at a dealer for new batteries. Not sure if this age model is in that group. I found an owner's manual on line as it did not come with one.

Off now to read sticky's in forum, if there, etc. Thanks for any initial owner tips anyone can offer,
    Dennis

My Cars
    //M5s, 4.8iS , Z32TT
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisBT View Post
    New here; thanks for having me. New/first BMW in family today. Actually, adult son purchased it, so am somewhat writing for him as I doubt he'll show up on this forum.....at least for some time. He showed us the car and my wife and I each drove it a little. Here's what he got for $6,500, and he knows it needs some things:
    2004 model with 125K on clock. Straight. Clean interior; seats in excellent shape. He got it from a single mother in her 30's. Has some service history I have not seen yet. She said she just had a new alternator and timing belt installed (M62TU does NOT use timing belt. It has timing chain and never need to be replaced. The plastic timing chain guide can break and need a replacement, but not the chain itself.), (maybe battery too....), but was, "too thrifty to have the shop re-set the computer," so some dash lights work funny and some electrical things don't work right. She, "said," the re-setting would fix all that. (Hmm) Drives straight; peppy; stops straight. No noises; quiet. Sound system seems fine; cassette player in dash center tip-up section and evidently a CD changer in truck, (or some where). Nice after-market wheels and all 4 original wheels included. Will need tires next Fall before winter.
    I have a little concern about re-setting the computer and why it was not done. There is always that nagging worry that there are gremlins waiting to strike and destroy a fellow's wallet. Also a slight oil wet spot on right front of rocker cover of engine where it meets head. (Or it looks like a rocker cover)

Any comments about what to look for, or how to handle this kind of purchase would be appreciated. We all live some 80 miles from any dealer of this type, so I wonder about that too. Son is very handy with mechanics, so that helps. I've read already about some BMW's requiring, "registration," at a dealer for new batteries. Not sure if this age model is in that group. I found an owner's manual on line as it did not come with one.

Off now to read sticky's in forum, if there, etc. Thanks for any initial owner tips anyone can offer,
    Dennis
    What light(s) is/are on the dash and how funny?

2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) --------------- 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's) -------------- 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E39 M5, 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32 TwinTurbo

My Cars
    2004 X5
    Well, I guess my reply did not post. Will try again: thank you for the comment on timing chain. However, when the boys bought the car the lady said she just had the timing BELT changed along with a new alternator and battery.....and maybe a tune up.

You asked what odd behavior has been observed: Here we go.... Windshield wipers do not work. Sun Roof does not work, (all electric evidently). Neither tailgate hatch button will operate rear hatch. Door locks do not work, and apparently no manual lock. "Navigation screen," goes on-and-off and is generally wacky.

Seller lady who stated she was, "too thrifty to have the computer reset," told them once that was done all of the above would work again. Sure sounds fishy to me.

????? Comments guys?
    Thanks, Dennis

My Cars
    2008 3 series 2007 X5
    I guess the best thing in your situation is to take it to a euro garage, unless you know how to reset the computer yourself. Be SURE to explain the explain the situation very accurately. One detail left out could wreak havoc down the road. Good Luck with his new purchase, and Congratulations!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    For the sunroof...try the simple reinitializing instructions from the owners manual. Anytime power is disconnected...the sunroof may need to be reset. BTW, the "CPU needs to be reset" is a bunch of bull...the GM (general module) controls some of the things you mentioned that are wonky...but not all of them...and there is no RESET for the GM...replacement maybe...but no reset.

Since we don't know if you have the regular sunroof or the pano sunroof...I guess I need to post both reinitializing instructions. See "power loss or malfunction" in the owners manual instructions below:

{regular sunroof}

{pano-sunroof}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Also, N62 engine has his common problems and oil leaks,
    biggest problem you can get at some point is valve seals, if they're bad you will have smoke coming from your exhaust pipes on start ups, those probably a biggest labor for the N62,
    Also somethings about alternator mount, it's also a cover for oil line, or something like that, and part is dirt cheap but labor to replace it is high
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    2004 X5
    Again, thank you for the information. I've passed all this along to the boys. We'll see how quickly they can get additional diagnosis completed and some fixes under way. These are really, "different," cars to me and there is a lot to learn. I really do like to understand any car's quirks and needs so this will be an interesting journey.
    Dennis

My Cars
    2004 X5
    Update: The boys finally had time to take their X5 to the Spokane BMW dealer. They looked it over. They, "got the sun roof fully closed." (Apparently it had not been) But to repair it they quoted $3,400. Boys said they liked the X5 just fine with no operating sun roof.

Dealer shop then found a blown main fuse somewhere beyond the normal fuse blocks. Said when someone installed a new battery, they killed the fuse when powering back up. Shop they did some resets, etc., and literally everything now works fine. (Except, of course, the sun roof.)

So they are off to a decent start. Thank you all for comments. Dennis