Thread: Should I lease a 428I or buy a pre-owned E90/E92?

My Cars
    2004 330Ci

Should I lease a 428I or buy a pre-owned E90/E92?

I am currently in the great debate. I've always been against leasing, but am opening up to the idea. My wife leasing a 2016 C250 is the main reason for that. Currently i am driving a 2004 330Ci, previously i had a 97 M3. Not sure what to do next.
    I am not too enthusiastic about BMW running 4cylinder turbo charged engines in their new lineup of #28i cars. I think that when the turbo isn't producing boost, the car is a turd. I haven't driven one for a long period of time, but when test driving i definitely noticed a few laggy periods.

I like the E90/E92s. But most are close to 100k miles. The lower mileage cars i have found are 60-70k miles. I'm a little tired of troubleshooting minor maintenance issues. For example, it took 2 months and a few hundred dollars of replacement parts to finally determine what was causing my P00171, Lean Condition code on my current E46. I do all the maintenance myself. I enjoy working on cars and spend most of my free time working on my 2 other cars, but for some reason the PIA maintenance work annoys the heck out of me.

What say you General BMW Discussion?

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    How Deep are your pockets?

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by MassiveWalrus View Post
    How Deep are your pockets?
    I have deep pockets but short hands... hahaha

I am comparing the depreciation of the E90/E92 + maintenance since it is a "higher mileage" vehicle vs. Paying a monthly on a car that I wouldn't own after all that money (About $15k for 3 yrs with down payment).
    The E90/E92 would cost about $15k. But at least I would have some value of a car after "X" amount of years.

My Cars
    1998 e36 328i - M3 diff
    I have never believed leasing a car a good idea for anyone ever.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRichard View Post
    It sure seems like a waste of money when comparing to a used car that wont depreciate as fast. But I am also the type of person that wouldn't buy a brand new car from a dealer.

Still debating. If I get a very good monthly payment for the 428 I will do it.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Agreed, unless it can be written off as a business expense

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    If I may, why an E90/92?
    Why not E82 or F22? Specifically the X35i or the hellacious M235i.

But if I were you I would opt for the 435i. Then again, I wouldn't lease...Value gained is value sustained.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Agreed, unless it can be written off as a business expense
    A purchase car value will depreciate. I write off the depreciation of the car when I own it. My accountant has told me buying or leasing, is the same tax advantage

Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    If I may, why an E90/92?
    Why not E82 or F22? Specifically the X35i or the hellacious M235i.

But if I were you I would opt for the 435i. Then again, I wouldn't lease...Value gained is value sustained.
    I am 6'6" tall. 235 is too small. For leasing, I'm also trying o stay around $450/mnth.
    I have a lot of toys that I spend money on. I don't want my wife to have an opportunity to start nagging me.

My Cars
    2020 Mercedes S560
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmansM View Post
    A purchase car value will depreciate. I write off the depreciation of the car when I own it. My accountant has told me buying or leasing, is the same tax advantage

Interesting. What are you writing off the depreciation against?

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
    Interesting. What are you writing off the depreciation against?
    Honestly not sure. I have the accountant do that. I assume using the vehicle for business purposes... But I honestly don't know.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    How is the reliability of the E90/E92 cars? Looking at the Non-M cars
    Are there any common maintenance issues with this model that i should be on the look for?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Spoken like someone who doesn't quite grasp the concept. With proper incentives the amount you pay on a lease can be less than the real world depreciation of a car. You would have to enjoy throwing money in the toilet by buying like a brand new 100k 7 series or s class. Or take for instance when bmw has lease specials that set the residual at 68%... which will not outpace real world depreciation.

Not all instances of leasing a car is a stupid venture, and aorry, but I have owned old cars, newer cars, and currently one own old car and lease 1 newer one. Sorry but constant worries on an old car are not really worth it to me at this point. If something goes wrong with my car, I don't have time to worry about either fixing it myself or taking to the mechanic etc. Take it to the dealer, take a loaner and be on my way.

You are paying for the convenience factor as much as the car.

But there are also some terrible terrible lease deals out there. Not all are the same, and understanding the differences in net loss with purchase vs lease helps. And no, the argument just buy a used car doesn't fly with everyone.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2016 BMW M4 Cabriolet
    Why not a 435i since you'd have warranty and it's much funner?

That being said depends on whether you pull the good straw. Here where I am, what I've been spending on maintenance so far plus depreciation would have been on-par with a 435i cabriolet residual finance. Only problem is the cabriolet didn't come with 3 pedals so I didn't have a choice in the matter.
    Last edited by shiftmygears; 05-27-2016 at 12:51 AM.

2008 335i Cabriolet, Special Edition, 6-speed

My Cars
    z3
    Buy the E92... either way you write it off as an expense, but in 3 years you'll have equity to recoup some money from the bought car vs. returning the lease...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!