Thread: Quintessintial battery for 1998 E36 convertible

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible

Quintessintial battery for 1998 E36 convertible

Greetings,

I've searched this forum for guidance on batteries for our cars. I have yet to find a consensus on a sealed battery that "just works" in an E36 convertible. There have been many brands/models bandied about for e36s in general, but I'm looking for something specific to the 'vert. Needs to be sealed - no vent tube. My battery just died.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    No vent tube? My car has a vent tube. I put a Duralast Gold in. The issue is that you need a battery that will tolerate the vibrations, venting is not what you are worried about.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Optima red top in my 98 323

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    The previous owner of my 328 vert bought a super cheap Walmart battery a few weeks before I bought the car. It was only about 2/3 the size of the correct battery but it's still going strong 5 years later. I'm not a battery snob like I used to be. From my experience the only difference between a $75 battery and a $150 one is the warranty. I bought a BOSCH battery for my m3 2 years ago. Normally retails for about $125. 3 year replacement warranty. That very expensive battery died after 2 years.

Just my 2 cents

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    I agree with this guy's write-up:
    http://chrisparente.com/2012/10/02/e...y-replacement/

My Cars
    98 M3
    Got my red top on amazon for half price at a auto parts store.

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner - been dealing with a spouse fresh out of knee replacement surgery. Anyway –

It’s not that I’m too much “concerned” about the vent tube – I just want a sealed battery, if I can get one.
    Taking into account hype and marketing, some AGMbatteries seem better equipped to handle the vibration concerns for batteries in our cars. That, plus finding a sealed design that will fit the car, reduces thepossibility for 2 potential issues.

However, there seem to be zero options available in either BCI 92 size (vert OEM), or even the next closest size – BCI 40R. The closest size that is AGM/sealed is BCI 94R. Length is perfect (315mm), width is perfect (175mm), but height is taller by 15mm (190mm vs 175mm).

So my next question is simple. Has anyone (besides LeftCoast) put in a battery taller than stock into the car, without clearance issues?

And, Left Coast, since the Optima Redtop is even tallerthan a 94R battery, have you had any clearance issues with the stock battery cover and your Redtop? If not, it would appear we have more fitting options for the car.

That’s all I’m looking for.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Manticore; 05-11-2016 at 10:00 PM. Reason: formatting

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn’t reply sooner - been dealing with a spouse fresh out of knee replacement surgery. Anyway –

It’s not that I’m too much “concerned” about the vent tube – I just want a sealed battery, if I can get one.
    Taking into account hype and marketing, some AGMbatteries seem better equipped to handle the vibration concerns for batteries in our cars. That, plus finding a sealed design that will fit the car, reduces thepossibility for 2 potential issues.

However, there seem to be zero options available in either BCI 92 size (vert OEM), or even the next closest size – BCI 40R. The closest size that is AGM/sealed is BCI 94R. Length is perfect (315mm), width is perfect (175mm), but height is taller by 15mm (190mm vs 175mm).

So my next question is simple. Has anyone (besides LeftCoast) put in a battery taller than stock into the car, without clearance issues?

And, Left Coast, since the Optima Redtop is even tallerthan a 94R battery, have you had any clearance issues with the stock battery cover and your Redtop? If not, it would appear we have more fitting options for the car.

That’s all I’m looking for.
    Thanks

No issues at all cover and carpet fit over nicely. I will post a pic tomorrow.

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Left Coast View Post
    No issues at all cover and carpet fit over nicely. I will post a pic tomorrow.
    Thank you! A picture would be perfect. Looking forward to it.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Was busy today i will take one in the morning.

My Cars
    98 M3
    This is how the red top sits in my vert.
    WP_20160515_19_14_33_Pro.jpgWP_20160515_19_14_28_Pro.jpg

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    Looks great! Thanks for your input and the photos. You said there are no clearance issues with the battery cover and the carpet. That gives E36 vert owners several more choices in batteries.

Thanks for your input and help. I'll sort through the available options, and see which one I like the most.

My Cars
    99 M3 Vert
    For what it's worth, I've got a 94R in mine, but the previous owner lost the battery cover so I just flop the carpet on top of it

My Cars
    1998 M3 Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Manticore View Post
    Looks great! Thanks for your input and the photos. You said there are no clearance issues with the battery cover and the carpet. That gives E36 vert owners several more choices in batteries.

Thanks for your input and help. I'll sort through the available options, and see which one I like the most.
    If you look at his pictures, it's obvious he's NOT using the OEM battery cover. he removed the cover and is just covering the battery terminals with bare carpet. I don't think this is the solution you're looking for.

I have an optima in mine, but I had to fabricate a different tie down option because the OEM tiedown won't hold an optima. I used J hooks and a traditional hold down crossbar. I put my plastic cover over the top of my optima. it sticks up higher than the surrounding rest of the trunk, but I'm okay with it. Mine's all custom anyway.

Here's an old picture where you can kinda see that the battery cover sits as high as the top of the false floor in the trunk. I've since changed my trunk setup and removed that amp, and put my spare tire back in and have a pair of Precision Power Phantom class D amps mounted on the back of the sub enclosure. They are way more efficient and I can now have a spare again. I can still fit my wind deflector in my trunk also.
    1998 M3 Cabriolet (Estoril, Hardtop, Vaders, Dinan Stage 5, M50 Mani, Eisenmann Exhaust, UUC Pulley & SSK, Reiger Body Kit, 19" Staggered Axis Pentas, Momo Steering Wheel & Shift Knob)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2013 F150 Ecoboost (6"lift, 20" wheels, 35" tires) 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636 (2 Bros Exhaust, Power Commander, Fender Eliminator, Flush Mounts, Throttlemeister, etc.)

Interested in using a Professional Fender Rolling tool w/ Heat Gun?. PM me for details.
    www.TraysonsToybox.com

My Cars
    1998 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    If you look at his pictures, it's obvious he's NOT using the OEM battery cover. he removed the cover and is just covering the battery terminals with bare carpet. I don't think this is the solution you're looking for.
    Thanks trayson. Yep, it's safe to say I'm not looking to lay bare carpet over the battery terminals. Looks like I'll just have to try a 94R battery, and see what I need to do to get it to fit.

Appreciate the help.

P.S. Nice looking installation you've got there!

My Cars
    08' M5 & 98' M3
    If it helps, I have a Duralast Gold 92-DLG battery on my M3 for the past three years and have been very happy with it.

It withstood vibration issues (my M3 makes 450hp) from the powertrain and powered the huge Brax amps in the trunk just fine. I think the key is to make sure that you either drive the car on the highway for at least 30 minutes once per month or maintain the charge of the battery by using a battery conditioner.

I don't drive my M3 very frequently, so the battery is hooked up to a battery conditioner most of the time:

Try not to let the battery drain too many times before you charge it again. A battery literally blew up in the trunk of my old E36 325is because I let it drain and tried to charge it too many times.

Jon
    08' BMW M5 (Alpine white/Indy red) - Dinan/Brembo/Corsa/Forgestar/Vorsteiner/3M/Dinmann/SMG
    98' BMW M3 (Dakar yellow/black) - Dinan/RMS/Vortech/Work/Denon/Brax/Helix/3M/Recaro/Stoptech/AST/6MT/3.91 LSD

BMW 325isA (gone but not forgotten)
    ACS Type II front bumper-ACS Type II sport mirrors-ACS Type II roof spoiler-ACS Type I rear apron-ACS rear wing-ACS pedals/dead pedal-ACS wood gear knob-ACS wood trim-ACS badges-BBS RS II 18's-TMS chip-ECIS intake/cover-RMS exhaust-Dinan transmission chip-ERT crank pulley-ZKW/DDEII/Phillips 6000k Hids-Kenwood eXcelon head/CD changer-Alpine sound field processor-PPI Art amps-MBQ speakers-Infinity 10' sub-Alpine 8070 alarm-Chrome trunk lid-Chrome gauge rings-In Pro smoked corners-BMW OEM clear tails-M3 mouldings-M3 floor mats-M3 door sills-M3 Lux wood trim-M3 rear sway-X brace-Koni shocks-Bav Auto springs-JTD RSMs-Front/rear strut braces-E46 front grills-Kamei eyelids-Kamei cf door handles-tinted windows-German ECC plate

My Cars
    '94 318ic, '00 323it
    I have an Optima 75/25 in my vert. I used a velcro strap (same one for the tension strap fix) and strapped the battery down onto the tray. The stock cover fits over the battery compartment.
    Alpine 318ic FTMFW!