Thread: BMW M4 not up-to M standard

My Cars
    BMW M4; Porsche 991 CS
    I have owned all M3 vehicles since E36.
    I cannot believe M division released a car that has no straight line traction ! I have tried tyre pressures, I even had BMW techies in my car with a computer hooked up as I needed proof that this is actually not a software fault. 95% of the time on a straight line push with DSC on , traction control is ridiculous , with DSC off the tyres are slipping ! WTF , I believe this vehicle should have been release with some form of torque converter to shift power to front wheels when needed , but to not even be able to do a straight line flat foot drive even between second and 3rd is crazy !!
    Very dissapointed
    Last edited by Russelr; 04-30-2016 at 11:25 AM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    What tires are on the car? How worn are they?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    BMW M4; Porsche 991 CS
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    What tires are on the car? How worn are they?
    Using Michelin Pilot Super Sport , this has been an issue since buying the car new

My Cars
    e92 m3
    I have an m4 6 speed manual at that, and you can have trAction with control, M is notorious for waning to go sideways and this car most certainly lives up to its reputation. Drive it on a track then tell me how much you hated it.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I don't have any problems with traction... well I do now because I put Continental tires on it, but with the Michelin's it wasn't bad.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2004 330xi, 1997 540i/6
    It's what you would expect from a RWD car. especially from an M. either you are launching too high or you are just giving too much gas. IMHO I believe after 30mph you should have better traction in 2nd. It's either a more driver oriented car, or a computer controlled car. I believe you cannot have both. I've driven a GTR and a Huracan and both didn't feel like driver oriented cars, they seem too assisted in a driver's perspective, I believe a e36 or e46 can give me a more pleasurable driving experience in the backroads.

My Cars
    2015 M4 Saphire Black
    Russelr,

I tried my launch just last night from 3k and 2.4k RPM and my car slipped through all of the gears before I shut her down for trying to put me me in a ditch.

My Cars
    2015 M4 Saphire Black
    Tires were warm and everything else was perfect. I fear that this car just wants to go sideways. ¯\_(?)_/¯

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    If you are spinning... lower your launch RPM.

My Cars
    BMW M4; Porsche 991 CS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestfromeuro View Post
    I have an m4 6 speed manual at that, and you can have trAction with control, M is notorious for waning to go sideways and this car most certainly lives up to its reputation. Drive it on a track then tell me how much you hated it.
    Unfortunately this is my daily drive car , I agree on the track it's great but 95% of the time I'm on road , I have DCT so no option for clutch control , but in a straight line NOT launching in any setting there is alot of slip or DSC intervention. I would simply like to enjoy some straight line performance when flooring the throttle between 25 and 50mph
    Last edited by Russelr; 05-20-2016 at 12:00 PM.

My Cars
    2015 M4, 1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Russelr View Post
    I have owned all M3 vehicles since E36.
    Ok... so you should understand the core definitive elements of what exactly makes an M car. Like, perhaps, that they're all rear-wheel drive.

But then...

I believe this vehicle should have been release with some form of torque converter to shift power to front wheels when needed
    Did anybody else notice this?

L2D?

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    torque converter to shift power to the front wheels :

My Cars
    Black/Black F82 M4
    Quote Originally Posted by blackout23 View Post
    Ok... so you should understand the core definitive elements of what exactly makes an M car. Like, perhaps, that they're all rear-wheel drive. But then... Did anybody else notice this? L2D?
    It's funny. This car is definitely under constant debate among M guys, specifically because of the new way it delivers power. I've been a big M3 enthusiast since I was a young teenager, and I can't believe people say that the M spirit is dead and these cars aren't any fun. Did they expect that the M3 would never evolve and you'd still have a small/light analogue car with a small straight six? I effing love the e46 as much as anyone, but that's just not a modern car. Buuut you have the M2 now...

Who ever said M4 is supposed to be a drag car? No car with this much torque and throttle response will put down power without wheel spin. Just get a GTR if you want that. ? It's the same thing in a corvette, a rwd FType, C63, whatever. They're all tire smoking machines, but I think people just love to complain about things sometimes. I just think the new M's have such a well engineered handling balance, and that torque.....

If they gave us a 2016 E36 M3, then people would complain about it being completely unable to compete with performance of modern stuff on road and track. So what do people want?????

Sorry for the rant btw.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    No real complaints from me regarding traction. My previous car was an AMG C63, talk about a car that is constantly fighting for grip...My M4 feels docile by comparison and can be launched harder and when there is wheel spin it is much more controllable and less violent.
    BMW M Roadster
    M4

Richard Partlow Dordan

My Cars
    '16 CP M4
    My last ///M was an '95 M3 and that car was very engaging as a driver. I recently got rid of my '15 328i as it was purely for work and finally pulled the trigger on my '16 M4 w/ ZCP. I think it's a very well balanced car and I've yet to spin the tires at all, of course I haven't gotten the 1500 mile service but all I've had is traction.

.ast.vorschlag.gc.powerflex.tcdesign.rogue.uuc.enk ei.travischase.

Earlier Ms didn't have the kind of horsepower/torque of today's Ms. Perhaps 4 wheels drive should solve this.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Just better rear tires...

My Cars
    M4 + CT200h
    maybe decrease your HP? bring it down to 385HP =P
    -frKENm3 | 2016 M4 ZCP | "Your not Alive unless your Living" | Ownership: 08/31/2016 - Current

Instagram: m.4play

Other Cars: ct200h(daily) | E39 540i-6(sold:12-4/19/16) | AP2 S2k(sold:09-13) | E36 ///M3(sold:99-07)