Thread: 2007 328XI Losing Traction and Slipping Around Curves, PLEASE HELP

My Cars
    2007 BMW 328XI

Unhappy 2007 328XI Losing Traction and Slipping Around Curves, PLEASE HELP

I brought my 2007 328XI to a certified BMW repair shop near me when I noticed some serious vibration coming through the steering column at high speeds (85 MPH+) and when braking. They showed me that the front left wheel had a small dent in it (from a pothole most likely) and the control arms were starting to go, either of which could be causing the vibration. They also showed me that the rear tires were very unevenly worn (the inside was almost down to the mesh) due to the rear suspension being very loose which they said was common in these models. So they recommended replacing the rear tires (run flats), then moving the rear wheels to the front so the new tires would be on the front and the dented wheel would now be in the rear which should reduce/eliminate the vibration, so that's what I did. After I picked the car up, the vibrating at high speeds was gone, but it was still pretty bad when braking. But even more concerning was when I took a curve (highway off-ramp, windy road, etc.) the outside front wheel would lose traction and the car would skid a little in the front and the traction control warning light would flash. So I brought the car back in to replace the rear suspension and control arms, but the outside front wheel keeps slipping (it also makes a load rubbing sound when it does this) and it seems it's doing it at even lower speeds now. So needless to say, I'm afraid to drive the car now since it barely holds a turn and the repair shop I brought it to doesn't know what else it could be. And I don't want to keep throwing money at things that MIGHT be causing it. Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what the issue is? Is it the new tires, or the fact that I swapped the rear wheels to the front? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    What's a certified BMW repair shop? Who/what certified the? Themselves?

It sounds like the front rotors are warped as you have vibes when braking. You need to replace the rotors and not machine them. Why? The rotors from the factory are thins I as to reduce unsprung weight. Machining them reduces the rotors' ability to handle heat generated by braking. The issue with the car's seeming inability to corner properly and the presence of the abs light is caused by the alignment being off.

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    Take it to Bimmer Clinic and they will tell you whats up. They are 25 min away from you.

I would take a better look at your front suspension if that's where you are losing traction. Could be thrust arms or end links. The vibrations when braking is a sign of either thrust arm bushings on the way out, sticking caliper or a messed up rotor.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    2003 BMW X5 4.4i
    My x5 use to shake when braking. Replaced the rotors and pads and same thing. It ended up being the front left lower control arm. Simple fix did it myself now no more shaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk