Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Hartge classics questions

My Cars
    '94 325iS52, '09 328iSp,

Hartge classics questions

So to make my story short, I came across a set of Hartge Classics 18x8.5s on CL for a steal. I had the rims tested and trued, also polished the lips up on them. The center parts were decent, with some scuffs and scrapes, so I decided to sand it down and smooth it out. My question is, does anyone know of the specific paint used on them originally? Any suggestions as to the best "paint in a can" would be? And finally, how well would these fit on an E36, and with what size tires? I do have the hubcentric rings, but I am thinking of fender rubbing and camber adjustments, fender rolling, etc. Any input would be appreciated.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Without knowing what the offsets are, it's not possible to tell if they're suitable for your car. If they're ET15 front and ET22 or somewhere close to those, then they'll be 5 series fitment and others. The 3 series generally will use higher offsets ET35-E43 or so for the front and perhaps ET22 - ET30 rears. I'm a bit vague on the ranges of offsets that work on 3 series and different versions E36/E46/E9x etc.

In the E36 section you'll find many more examples of cars with all sorts of wheels on in varying offsets and widths etc. Depending on what you have and if you wish to run spacers or not, tyre sizing etc you can achieve different looks etc.

As for paint, High Power Silver or Hyper Silver are names of paints I see mentioned quite a bit. Different paint manufacturers have different shades of paints which are called the same name.

If they're genuine Hartge wheels, I'd highly recommend get them professionally refinished rather than using a 'rattle can' paint on them.

I've had numerous sets of genuine Hartge wheels and any sets which need refinishing I get done professionally. Plenty of sets I've sold on and currently I have 4 sets (2 sets of 19" Nova 5's and 2 sets of Classics 19" & 20" set)

Here's some of the wheels sets I've had done

Classic 19's - Anthracite powder coat centres, machined/diamond cut lips with lacquer

Photo bucket is being a pain currently - will upload pics once it sorts itself out

Classic 19's - Shadow Chrome powder coat centres, machined/diamond cut lips with no lacquer

Nova 5's - Flash chrome paint centres, hand polished to bare metal lips

Cheers, Dennis!