Thread: Getting rid of run-flats. Is a can of Fix-a-Flat the piece of mind I need?

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport

Getting rid of run-flats. Is a can of Fix-a-Flat the piece of mind I need?

So I hate the run flat ride quality. I want to get some performance tires but not having a spare concerns me. Anyone have experience with fix-a-flat? Anything I should wary of?

I have tire pressure monitors. Is that cause for concern? Thanks.

Edit: Peace of mind*

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Do you mean your TPMS indicator is on?
    If they're on then you need to check the pressure.
    Why not just buy a donut or steely rim? I have a plug kit in my trunk at all times, a 12V inflation device would also be a good idea. I never liked that fix a flat crap, I've heard people using it and not working as it claims it is supposed to. A rubber plug on the other hand has never let me down, and I plugged one of my tires 5 times...s#it ran until the car got totaled.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2003 540i M-Sport
    @doge

I haven't made the switch from run flats yet. My tire pressure monitor is working fine. I'm not familiar with donut or steely rim, but will look into it. Basically just looking for the solutions/confidence to remove my run flats for something a little more performance oriented. I'm thinking about the Continental Extreme Contact DW for now.
    Last edited by cmFenso; 04-15-2016 at 11:12 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    My 2 series came with michelin PSS tires (Non runflat), and a bmw inflation/sealant kit in the trunk. First flat tire I had was a blowout with a 2 inch tear in the rear. Nothing would have sealed that haha.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by cmFenso View Post
    I haven't made the switch to run flats yet...Basically just looking...to remove my run flats for something a little more performance oriented...
    Your words sir...they make no sense to me.
    If you don't like how they ride...get rid of them and get something more performance oriented.

I agree with luftwaffe, run flats don't help when your sidewall gets punctured or you have a blowout. A donut is a colloquial term for an emergency undersized spare tire, steely's are similar to what you see on a police interceptor type of car and can be full sized.

I (if you even want to listen to me) would tell you to go to performance, get a fix-a-flat kit (it's a plug and patch kit available at any Wal-Mart) and possibly an in car tire pump..A membership to AAA is also very useful.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    My 2 series came with michelin PSS tires (Non runflat), and a bmw inflation/sealant kit in the trunk. First flat tire I had was a blowout with a 2 inch tear in the rear. Nothing would have sealed that haha.
    Holy crap! How did that happen?

My Cars
    z3
    Just get a AAA membership. Fix-a-flats can only do so much, and the tire damage needs to be in a specific area to actually work... best bet is AAA hands down. Some insurance companies like Geico also offer roadside assistance packages.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Then put a set of Michelin PSS tires on the car!

My Cars
    '15 I01Rex , '11F25
    Nothing worse for a tech then breaking down a wheel/tire with green slime in it. And sometimes the slime will ruin the pressure monitor. A donut is the best way to go. I also think the later versions of run flats ride a lot better then the early Bridgestone Turanzas.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    I have not had a spare tire in 10 years and never had a reason to use the fix-a-flat in the trunk.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    I just made the switch on 2011 328i. Changed to Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Tirerack is having great deal ($430) after mail in. For piece of mind., I bought air compressor from amazon http://www.amazon.com/LifeLine-AAA-3..._detailpages00 for $18
    Non-run flats drives so much better

thx

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    I switched from run-flats when mine wore out, 6 years ago. I bought a small air compressor, a can of fix-a-flat and signed up for AAA+. The triple A applies to any of my cars so it's been handy that way and the + gives me a 100 mile tow.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Just get AAA and put on some good tires.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.