Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Pilot Super Sport Traction Issues?

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il

Pilot Super Sport Traction Issues?

Anyone out there with greasy Pilot Super Sports?

I'm on my second set, with PS2s before that and Sumitomos that came on the car before that.

These are behaving quite differently from the first set.

I have a 3.38 rear, M50 intake/Conforti tune/ASC delete - so I've got a little more than stock, but it's not like I'm pushing any kind of huge power.

With my first set, it was nearly impossible to break traction. PS2s weren't quite impossible, but definitely took a lot of effort. The Sumitomos were a different story - glad to be rid of those.

This second set, though - I cannot hook up in first gear, and on some roads even in second gear I'm getting wheelspin. I'm not even talking clutch-drops. Ease it into gear, stand on it - and spinning wheels.

I am also getting understeer for the first time. I have always had a square tire setup, so nothing to blame there.

These have about 15k on them, and this set has not been to the track. My previous PSSs had more grip than these, even when they were seriously overheated (at the track in Texas on a 95+ degree day). They haven't been heat cycled, it's not too hot or too cold, and they have lots of tread (but are obviously broken in after 15k miles). No coilovers / camber plates, just stock setup.

This started before I got my Turner sway bars, but reducing roll hasn't helped the understeer situation either. And my ARC-8s and LTW flywheel I just completed have only made the wheelspin issue worse. I've played with the tire pressures to no avail.

I've called Michelin to see if they have had any similar complaints, but the customer service rep I got was pretty clueless.

And to repeat - my first set were amazing every day.

This set is not only greasy, but seems to be lasting quite a bit longer. I almost feel like they used the the wrong compound.

I'm obviously in a somewhat unique position in that I'm on my second set, so I have something to compare them to.

Has anyone else had any kind of trouble with PSSs being less grippy than expected?

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    I got a set and they feel quite grippy. Perhaps there is something broken on the rear end of your car. Have you put it on a lift and look for some wobble. I took this one sweeper in the rain many years ago and the rear end came around. I think the rear ball joints contributed to it.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Did someone install a supercharger and you didn't know it?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    I am on my second set and it take effort to break them loose. I love these tires, no understeer and they grip through corners very well. I drive my car hard, daily and have had no issues. (For reference I am running full m3 suspension, staggered rims, and a m52 with cams, intake, full exhaust, and what I am told is a 3.63 lsd rear.)

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have 265/35/18 and 285/35/18 on my modded E90M3 and can light them up from a roll no problem. The traction does not seem that great to me and they are expensive tires. I might try something else next. But they are lightweight and I like that (Conti DW are also light for their size, but the Contis seem to have a little less traction -- I have run them on 2 other cars).

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    I have noticed them move a bit, but it is usually getting off a bump or whatever. It could just be some warn out bushings giving up the ghost around the same time you had them installed. My rear bushings are long gone. I have the parts in the garage, but either me or the mechanic is busy.
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.