Thread: Motor Trend's M2 vs M4

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Cool Motor Trend's M2 vs M4

Will the champ remain supreme?
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    Yes please
    m2looks, sounds and now apparently posts quicker lap times... m2 for me

My Cars
    z3
    Hate the M2 front bumper though. Think I'm going to take the $$$ I saved up and look for a 1M.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    The two cars are very similar but also different. I prefer the looks of the M4 but the idea behind the M2 is great. If only they could make an S55 m2...

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidD123 View Post
    The two cars are very similar but also different. I prefer the looks of the M4 but the idea behind the M2 is great. If only they could make an S55 m2...
    There are some rumors that there will be a hardcore version of the m2 with an s55. Supposedly they were spotted on the ring, but this is all rumor, and I would imagine a csl or such version of the car would be around m4 or more in price.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Hate the M2 front bumper though. Think I'm going to take the $$$ I saved up and look for a 1M.
    I am not a fan of the bumper, but I have heard that it is a lot better in person. I will check it out myself soon and be the judge of it, but a lot of the guys on the m2 forums claim that it is much better looking in person than in pictures.

And while I like the looks, interior, engine etc of the m4, I think I would still rather have the m2, even not taking price into consideration I love the size of the 2, and m4 suspension and a more raw version of my 235i is exactly what I would want. I have drive the 4 a few times and it is just way too big for me.
    Last edited by Luftwaffe1O1; 04-12-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    1986 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
    I am not a fan of the bumper, but I have heard that it is a lot better in person. I will check it out myself soon and be the judge of it, but a lot of the guys on the m2 forums claim that it is much better looking in person than in pictures.

And while I like the looks, interior, engine etc of the m4, I think I would still rather have the m2, even not taking price into consideration I love the size of the 2, and m4 suspension and a more raw version of my 235i is exactly what I would want. I have drive the 4 a few times and it is just way too big for me.
    Totally agree on the size thing... the 3 & 4 series cars are just too bloated for my liking. I've always liked the 1-2 series because they harken back to the smaller E21 and E30 cars... and that's what an M-series is to me... nice compact little coupe that rips up the road.

Shut up and take my money... if I had any...
    1986 325 ~Elsa~
    Alpenweiss

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by estoguy View Post

Totally agree on the size thing... the 3 & 4 series cars are just too bloated for my liking. I've always liked the 1-2 series because they harken back to the smaller E21 and E30 cars... and that's what an M-series is to me... nice compact little coupe that rips up the road.

Shut up and take my money... if I had any...
    Does the 100 lb weight savings of the M2 really make that dramatic of a difference?

My Cars
    z3
    It's not always about weight, size affects performance and handling feel

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    It's not always about weight, size affects performance and handling feel
    This, even though the 2 series isn't much lighter than a 4, the feel of the car is very very different due to the size differences.

Don't get me wrong, the 4 series is a much nicer car, better materials etc, looks better so on. But for driving I'd take the 2 evertime. When I got my 235, they had a very nice 435i gunmetal with a coral interior, it was even a bit cheaper, was missing nav and a few other packages. But in the end, I don't like driving a car that size...

My other car is a z3 so getting into a 4 is like stepping into a land yacht