Thread: Any advice? Newbie here......

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4M

Any advice? Newbie here......

Hi! So I own a 2006 BMW M Roadster Convertible (now called the Z4M) & am Praying someone can give me some advice! Apparently what I'm looking for is called the "3rd brake light". It's a "strip" of lights, ON the trunk. Someone hit me awhile back & I didn't, at the time, notice the Outside "Cover" of those lights was damaged. NOW, the "covering" for those lights are cracked, allowing rain, moisture into the lights. The black colored "strip" which holds the cover of those same lights is now coming Off! I was told to replace ASAP one month ago to avoid further damage-- been busy-- Clearly getting Worse. I called some place mentioned in this forum to get the replacement cover but was told "only at a BMW dealership." That's the one place I called & then chose to come back here & register & ask y'all as I see A LOT of people here really know what they're talking about! Sorry so Long! Anyone know 1) what I'm talking about & 2) if anyone knows who I can contact? Please Forgive my Ignorance & TY for ANY help in Advance!

My Cars
    z3
    Its on the realoem diagram under "lighting" category... took me about 2 minutes to find. M's came with clear, the non-M red lights look a little better and are a direct replacement.

Two deep socket 8mm nuts hold it in from the backside. Easy DIY, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes including 4 minutes of fumbling around looking for a socket.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    There are plenty of other places to buy parts than the dealer. A simple web search will suffice. Also, any good independent bmw mechanic can do the repair for probably half what the dealer would charge.

When I replaced my 3rd brake light (which has a tendency to crack in cold weather), my indy mechanic did the entire job (parts/labour) for less than the dealer wanted for just the part.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4M
    AWESOME!! Sounds easy enough too RE DIY !! THANK YOU!!

- - - Updated - - -

THANK YOU !! Great info!!

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Its on the realoem diagram under "lighting" category... took me about 2 minutes to find. M's came with clear, the non-M red lights look a little better and are a direct replacement.

Two deep socket 8mm nuts hold it in from the backside. Easy DIY, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes including 4 minutes of fumbling around looking for a socket.
    Okay-- So now I cant decide between the red 3rd brake light or the white!! Help!! I know SOMEONE said my car came with an option of either red or white but I don't recall the salesman in 2006 offering me that-- right now, they're red w/ a clear cover-- what to do!! My M Roadster is titanium colored -- new paint job -- what do Y'all think??

My Cars
    z3
    Red is best IMO. The clear looks tacky and a bit "rice" ...I was never sure why BMW did this.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '85 Subaru Wagon, '87 Suzuki Savage LS650
    Just make sure the light itself is still red. In my state that light has "display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber". Check with your state's law to make sure.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

Hold on, saw this in a cartoon once...think I can pull it off.